Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

All good, and I dig exposition and context for how a band is discovered if it's a good story, but nobody cares that you "discovered" something because some PR firm sent it to you, y'know?

Stories about seeing bands are encouraged though! :)

Anywho, I've said all I have to say about it and don't want to continue going in circles/taking up space in th thread with this. All the best.

Well that one was different, the band sent me the album because I had reviewed their previous release on their old label. 95% of what I talk about and what I'm going to talk about, well, that's where it comes from.

Hell, most of the bands I "discover" on my own at shows, etc, is sitting in my email box somewhere. That happened to Barishi. I had a great conversation with the guitarist when I saw Felix Martin(?). Great, and very strange, guitarist who plays a dual neck guitar simulataneously, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing he's done has been released on vinyl.

So, yes, I'll keep saying that, because that's how I "find" things. 

As for stories about shows, I've got lots of those, and in the spirit of the thread, I'm going to be seeing (reviewing) Obsessed and Karma To Burn on 4/20 (which is way past fitting if you ask me.). No story about that one as of yet, because it's only 3/28.

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

19 minutes ago, Mars said:

Missed out on that Coheed ad Cambria shitstorm, thankfully.  Hopefully you were on the correct side of it.  

Yessir - April fool's nonetheless!

So here's the thing I think Macho Man is getting at.  "I have this review that I haven't written yet, for what I think will be a pretty kiss ass lp - go and find it!"

Nah.  Write the review, then maybe come here and tell us about it, along with a link to the actual music.  I'm not marking my calendar to search for your review about an unnamed release yom mentioned days before you actually listened to it.

Basically, my point was I liked a few of their albums, didn't really care for a definitive work as much as others, and I wasn't interested, nor do I have the time to seek out the rest of their catalog also, I'm not dropping over $40 on their upcoming release.

That caused a shitstorm because I'm living my life wrong apparently. :)

Yes, that post, not a good one. When that review is done, aside from sampling a bit to see if I was interested, I've only listened to the first half of the first side, so the review is "started."

I didn't know if I should make that post, might come off stupid, but I hit reply anyway, not my best moment, but it was it mine and I'll own that.

When the review is done, yes, I will post a link to it, but only because it's a vinyl review and there's this doom thread going. I'm not in the business of posting every single review, or really any reviews, on forums.

That's what twitter and facebook or for, unless there's a specific reason.

Getting back to Doom/Stoner Metal...

As I mentioned Obsessed is going out with Karma To Burn next month. Here are the dates:

THE OBSESSED:
4/08/2017 King Fu Necktie - Philadelphia, PA [info] * Record Release Show
w/ Karma To Burn:
4/12/2017 Cattive - Pittsburgh, PA
4/14/2017 Grog Shop - Cleveland, OH 
4/15/2017 Berserker IV (The Crofoot) - Pontiac, MI  (no Karma To Burn)
4/17/2017 5th Quarter - Indianapolis, IN +
4/18/2017 Riot Room - Kansas City, MO +
4/19/2017 Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL +
4/20/2017 Fubar - St. Louis, MO +
4/21/2017 Rock Island Brewing Co. - Rock Island, IL +
4/23/2017 Hi-Dive - Denver, CO +
4/24/2017 Metro Music Hall - Salt Lake City, UT +
4/25/2017 Neurolux - Boise, ID +
4/26/2017 Shakedown - Bellingham, WA +
4/27/2017 Highline - Seattle, WA ** +
4/28/2017 Star Theater - Portland, OR ** +
4/29/2017 Starlite - Sacramento, CA ** +
4/30/2017 DNA Lounge - San Francisco, CA  ** +
5/01/2017 Regent Theater - Los Angeles, CA ** +
5/02/2017 Club Red - Mesa, AZ 
5/03/2017 Launchpad - Albuquerque, NM
5/04/2017 Three Links - Dallas, TX
5/05/2017 Grizzly Hall - Austin, TX
5/07/2017 Korova - San Antonio, TX
5/08/2017 Siberia - New Orleans, LA
5/09/2017 The Jinx - Savannah, GA
5/10/2017 Hideaway - Johnson City, TN
5/11/2017 EARL - Atlanta, GA
5/12/2017 Gramps - Miami, FL
5/13/2017 Ground Zero - Spartanburg, SC
5/14/2017 Pour House - Raleigh, NC
5/16/2017 Kung Fu Necktie - Philadelphia, PA
5/17/2017 ONCE Ballroom - Boston, MA
5/18/2017 Saint Vitus - Brooklyn, NY
5/19/2017 The Ballroom at Outer Space - New Hanover, CT
5/20/2017 Otto Bar  - Baltimore, MD
# w/ Lo-Pan
& No Karma To Burn
** w/ Weedeater, Primitive Man
+ w/ Fatso Jetson

I'll be checking them out on 4/20 in STL.

54 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I meant this thread specifically.

We're a little different than the rest of the boards in that we're pretty niche, know each other pretty well, and don't usually attack en masse.

Sorry for going off on you a little bit, but the way you mention "music reviewing" so often across the board, and the whole short convo about your blog in here rubbed me the wrong way.

Check out some of the stuff we're talking about, recommend stuff to us, and talk about things in the thread and you'll be fine.

And yes, I know you don't have time to check out every release because of your busy reviewing schedule, but if you want to be an active participant in this thread, make an effort to listen to and talk about stuff in here, not just on your blog.:rolleyes: 

Exactly. @Battrasome of us use this thread as a respite from some of the other idiocy that goes on in other threads on this board, for instance whatever went on in the Coheed thread that I thankfully missed. We have to ignore crap in other threads and we don't feel like we should have to ignore posts in this thread. We try to keep this thread fairly drama free, except for the occasional weeping about missing out on a record variant. Anyone new to this thread is welcome, but like TGORS said, talking about PR firms and labels sending you stuff doesn't impress anyone here. We generally don't care about your(or anyone's) blog. It's not meant to be disrespectful or personal, it's just how it is. This is our thread and it's your thread. Just talk about what you know or like about stoner/doom metal bands.

Edited by lexicondevil

4 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Exactly. @Battrasome of us use this thread as a respite from some of the other idiocy that goes on in other threads on this board, for instance whatever went on in the Coheed thread that I thankfully missed. We have to ignore crap in other threads and we don't feel like we should have to ignore posts in this thread. We try to keep this thread fairly drama free, except for the occasional weeping about missing out on a record variant. Anyone new to this thread is welcome, but like TGORS said, talking about PR firms and labels sending you stuff doesn't impress anyone here. We generally don't care about your(or anyone's) blog. It's not meant to be disrespectful or personal, it's just how it is. This is our thread and it's your thread. Just talk about what you know or like about stoner/doom metal bands.

Hey man, I'm not trying to cause drama or idiocy.

I don't like either to be honest.

2 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Steering this ship in the right direction... Alright, all I want is for that goddamn Black Tomb record to go on pre-order so I can spend a bunch of money to get it shipped from EU!!! I will probably be taking a shit and reading Decibel when it goes on sale and will miss out on whatever rare variant I "needed". What other POs are we all waiting for?

I'll name a few and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Ufomammut - 8

Converge

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World

Iron Monkey

Fu Manchu - California Crossing reissue

Toke

Tombs

Chrch/Fister - Split

Forn

Orange Goblin

4 hours ago, Battra said:

Over the years, I have done over gods...700 reviews I think? I'm not really sure anymore. I know this year we're going to have hit 1,000 articles.

What I really like, and this is kind of selfish, is not having to seek new music but it arriving to me. 

There have been times, where I've considered retiring and shuttering the site and the email address associated with it, but for some reason I keep going. Yeah, I don't get paid, but I get free music and (lately) lots of free vinyl, and that's kind of the same thing.

I only write about the music I enjoy and I'll only put links to vinyl reviews on this site. I don't even post links to each post on the forums I frequent now. I don't have the kind of time it would take..haha.

I go back and forth about the money thing. Part of my really enjoys the freedom of not having to worry about money. Because I'm wholly unspecialized and I have a very eclectic taste in music. Today doom metal,  yesterday death metal, tomorrow instrumental shred, the day before punk jazz, blues, country, rap, etc...

Even folk and dance pop have been up on my site. For me to make it into a money making enterprise, I'd have to choose a path and I don't even want to do that down to things like "I'm  a heavy metal blogger." I'd much rather see what comes down the pike. Even the vinyl reviews are wholly ecletic.

Avant garde metal, doom metal, nerdcore hip hop, thrash, modern rock, stoner metal, blackened folk metal, war metal, whatever the hell Tall Tall Trees is, atmospheric black metal, reggae, 90's Rock, etc....upcoming I've got (off the top of my head) doom, avant garde rock, more pop, death metal, and that's just in the vinyl reviews.

I keep wondering how much longer I'll continue honestly. I really do, but in the meantime, I'll keep telling the world that new music is just as good as the old music.

That's kind of the point.

Horse's arse

26 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Ufomammut - 8

Converge

Iron Monkey

Toke

Tombs

Chrch/Fister - Split

Forn

Orange Goblin

Yeah, that Elder. I'm assuming you are taking about he rumoured Blood Moon live for Converge?

On a side note, if anyone has any of the variants of any of the Agalloch albums, please send me a message. I'm late to the game on them and I'm really wanting the blue marble edition of Marrow of the Spirit, but anything will be considered. A price would be great, I don't expect you to give it away, and we can even talk trades. Tanks!

38 minutes ago, whoshotthefrog said:

Ufomammut - 8

Converge

Iron Monkey

Toke

Tombs

Chrch/Fister - Split

Forn

Orange Goblin

I don't think I even knew there was new ufomammut coming! Scooooore :)

17 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

A new Ides of Gemini is coming out on Rise Above soon. All these American bands signing with overseas labels sucks! Obviously just an opinion of an American who doesn't want to pay more shipping.

I had exactly the same reaction.

First, "Good for them."

Closely followed by "Fuck. Crazy expensive variants and int'l shipping."

When we were talking about bands with upcoming albums before I forgot to mention Crypt Trip has something on the horizon this year. Looks like it'll be on Poisoned Mind again, but I have no other details.

This may be my most anticipated release of the year honestly, even with how much I'm looking forward to that Summoner!

Sorry, I'm about to bury you dudes in music right now. Wife is watching some cooking show on tv that I'm only half paying attention to and I'm catching up on some bands I've been wanting to check out.

These dudes have the sound I've most been enjoying lately, especially the driving bass on "Bialozar." Pretty solid. I almost wish they had some organ thrown in there in places. Is that weird? Their other album "Skyward" has a couple bits that sound like organ, but I think it may actually be a guitar effect.

https://formingthevoid.bandcamp.com/album/relic

Down, dirty southern metal sound. I don't hate it, but I usually shy away from the bluesier stuff. (Plus I'm a sucker for David Paul Seymour artwork. I'll check out just about any band he works with.)

https://earthwitch.bandcamp.com/album/out-of-the-shallow

I assume you all know Mothership, they're somewhat familiar to me but I didn't know they had an album out this year. More on the psych end.

Pretty good, I'll let you decide. (Reminds me a little bit of Mastodon's middle albums with a different singer.) I almost feel like this doesn't even fall into stoner/doom but they have some parts that really hit it nicely.

https://thebandsail.bandcamp.com/album/slumbersong

I don't know exactly what to say about these guys. They sound like they're singing from deep in a crack in the earth...but in a good way. Some post-metal leanings for sure.

https://rozamov.bandcamp.com/album/this-mortal-road

And y'all already know I'm a sucker for spacier sounding stuff with my love of Space Slug.

https://voidcruiser.bandcamp.com/album/wayfarer

As you also know, I'm not usually into instrumental only...well, prepare yourselves! These dudes are more post-rock/space-rock than stoner/doom, but I figure some of you might enjoy them too.

https://paleons.bandcamp.com/album/hyperborean

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage
I hope you guys don't mind, I usually prefer bandcamp links to youtube.

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Triple Post! I seem to remember a bunch of you being into Colour Haze? Apparently they have a new album this year.

I preordered my copy a few weeks ago. I'm super excited to hear it.

Edited by whoshotthefrog

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Sorry, I'm about to bury you dudes in music right now. Wife is watching some cooking show on tv that I'm only half paying attention to and I'm catching up on some bands I've been wanting to check out.

These dudes have the sound I've most been enjoying lately, especially the driving bass on "Bialozar." Pretty solid. I almost wish they had some organ thrown in there in places. Is that weird? Their other album "Skyward" has a couple bits that sound like organ, but I think it may actually be a guitar effect.

Down, dirty southern metal sound. I don't hate it, but I usually shy away from the bluesier stuff. (Plus I'm a sucker for David Paul Seymour artwork. I'll check out just about any band he works with.)

I assume you all know Mothership, they're somewhat familiar to me but I didn't know they had an album out this year. More on the psych end.

Pretty good, I'll let you decide. (Reminds me a little bit of Mastodon's middle albums with a different singer.) I almost feel like this doesn't even fall into stoner/doom but they have some parts that really hit it nicely.

I don't know exactly what to say about these guys. They sound like they're singing from deep in a crack in the earth...but in a good way. Some post-metal leanings for sure.

And y'all already know I'm a sucker for spacier sounding stuff with my love of Space Slug.

As you also know, I'm not usually into instrumental only...well, prepare yourselves! These dudes are more post-rock/space-rock than stoner/doom, but I figure some of you might enjoy them too.

My brother and I always sending each other links to new bands to check out. We recently discovered Forming the Void and Void Cruiser just like you. Both are really good.

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Damn. Lots of listening to do. So far, I'm digging the Earth Witch, but no vinyl. Gotta check out the others later.

15 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Damn. Lots of listening to do. So far, I'm digging the Earth Witch, but no vinyl. Gotta check out the others later.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't recall any of these except mothership having vinyl available, which was a bummer.