Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, Freki said:

Good news everyone! ATIH now has media mail option, and there's a 25% discount with "coloradoorbust". (Finally scored that Weedpecker.)

Used it to PO the new Crypt Trip. Stoked to save a couple bucks vs. ordering from that Italian label.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

That new STB band Let It Breathe is actually pretty good. I'll probably pick this up when it goes live, but won't be super pissed if I miss out on whatever variant. Will still probably aim to grab and obi if I can though.

Yeah i plan on grabbing this as well. I wonder why he is posting some things on the label website and some on bandcamp anymore...

Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean

I couldn't figure out what thread to put this in. It's crusty, blackened, doomish...? There's potential here and I'm looking forward to how they progress. This came out on vinyl recently with screened covers, hand stamped, and limited to 107. https://chainedtothebottomoftheocean.bandcamp.com/releases

13 hours ago, Freki said:

Yob pre-orders set to go live  4/17.

Not today, as originally promised? They posted that they would send an e-mail notification to their loyal fans (newsletter subscribers) for the Relapse pre-order.

*Edit - alright, saw the IG post now

Edited by JoshuaNilk

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Been catching up on some older stuff I didn't have on vinyl lately. Grabbed some Conan and Slomatics stuff I was missing.

Anybody find anything really great lately? Something to get me listening to some new stuff?

I haven't really come across any recent stoner doom that has blown me away. I'm finding more black metal that blends and twists new sounds. I would like to be wowed again, but I think a doom  band needs to figure out a way to somehow take it to another level. 

6 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I haven't really come across any recent stoner doom that has blown me away. I'm finding more black metal that blends and twists new sounds. I would like to be wowed again, but I think a doom  band needs to figure out a way to somehow take it to another level. 

Agreed. Nobody seems to be doing anything really new. I think some synths incorporated correctly would add a needed dimension to some bands' sound. (Sabbath did it in limited amounts and I enjoyed it.

On 12.4.2018 at 8:31 PM, lexicondevil said:

I think CHRCH is definitely giving it their all in that regard. Their new album on Neurot blows most all melodic doom out of the water. Fister's newest is bound to be great as well.

24 minutes ago, JoshuaNilk said:

I think CHRCH is definitely giving it their all in that regard. Their new album on Neurot blows most all melodic doom out of the water. Fister's newest is bound to be great as well.

I'd be all over that Chrch record if the shipping wasn't so high. I emailed the label and they said media mail should be available "now" but it still isn't.

5 hours ago, JoshuaNilk said:

You guys think there will be a pre-order up somewhere today? They're chanting Third Man Records...

There are some places to PO but it's ridiculously priced at most of them. TMR themselves have copies. Apparently the /1000 is out in the wild currently, unfortunately I probably can't get out to any locals until after work today. Luckily it also seems to be $50, so I'll (hopefully) either be able to grab one because it's so expensive, or decide to pass because, well, same reason.