Twistedshabazz

Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

8,357 posts in this topic

I always associate stoner and sludge rock together.  Here are some recommendations off the top of my head from the sludgy, stoner side are :

Harvey Milk - A Small Touch of Human Kindness

Their whole catalogue is solid, except maybe The Pleaser.  A Small Touch is my favorite.

Conan - Horseback Battle Hammer

Eagle Twin - Either album is good

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

aSg - Blood Drive (This probably fits between stoner rock and hard rock.  It grew on my a ton).

Early Baroness, Mastodon and Intronaut are all on the sludgy side of things.

Sleep and the post-Sleep projects (High on Fire, Om) are all good for different reasons.  New Om is really droney, but I dig it.

Kylesa and Black Tusk are rad.  I think sludgy punk music is a better way to describe them though.

The only doom I can think of recommending right now is is Loss - Despond.  That album is incredible.

Anyone ever listen to Purple Mercy? The self titled LP is pretty much perfect. Not typical stoner/doom stuff but there are elements, especially in songs like Black Winds of the Underworld. Unfortunately for my liking they went really psych on their next record.

Crowbar are the fathers of sludge and are fucking awesome

You mean besides EyeHateGod? I'd put Grief up there too.

EHG had a mention so I did not name them. I have never listened to Grief. I bow to your greater comprehension of the genre and for offering an opinion.

Amateur.