Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

42 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Since I don't have an awesome review blog... Here are my thoughts on these bands(I have time to kill this morning):

This Empress - This one is the best of the bunch. Of course, a Conan/Monolord sounding trio will almost never fail with me. I'd most likely buy this on vinyl if the price was right. Thanks for this one.

Bloodmoon - Sounded pretty cool. Great colors and imagery. As much as we might not want to admit it, the visual marketing of a band can very much affect perception of the music. Cool, atmospheric instrumentals.

Cosmic Reef Temple - I was at first repulsed and then just laughed when I focused my eyes and reread what their slogan was, "Praise Cod, Hail Sandtrout". I think the whole reef concept of this is great, but I'm not feeling the slight surf vibe. Since I am forced to listen to surf music at most tiki events, I fuckin' hate surf music now. I will pass this band along to my tiki pals. I was also surprised to see that it was recorded at Earhammer. Sounds a little thin.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on these, I only had a little time to give each of them a cursory listen to see if I'd even enjoy it before I posted them. I'm gonna jam on that Empress today though probably.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

The time has come. 

Migration Fest 2018 lineup

Tickets on sale 2/22/18.

BANDS:

Abyss
Bongripper
The Cancer Conspiracy
Cloud Rat
Couch Slut
Daeva
Deadbird
Derkéta
False
Forn
Hell (US)
Khemmis
Krallice
Mizmor
Mournful Congregation
Mutilation Rites
The Ominous Circle
Panopticon
Pelican
Pyrolatrous
Scorched
Spirit Adrift
Thou
Tomb Mold
Yellow Eyes

*NOTE: 1-2 bands yet to be confirmed for day shows, stay tuned for updates. This lineup does NOT include pre-show bands!

Get hyped!

9 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

The time has come. 

Migration Fest 2018 lineup

Tickets on sale 2/22/18.

BANDS:

Abyss
Bongripper
The Cancer Conspiracy
Cloud Rat
Couch Slut
Daeva
Deadbird
Derkéta
False
Forn
Hell (US)
Khemmis
Krallice
Mizmor
Mournful Congregation
Mutilation Rites
The Ominous Circle
Panopticon
Pelican
Pyrolatrous
Scorched
Spirit Adrift
Thou
Tomb Mold
Yellow Eyes

*NOTE: 1-2 bands yet to be confirmed for day shows, stay tuned for updates. This lineup does NOT include pre-show bands!

Get hyped!

Faaaaaark sicck line up... The cancer conspiracy an interesting addition... I know the dude from Gilead has a soft spot for 90s/early 00s emo/HC...

On 1/31/2018 at 8:17 AM, stranaspank said:

Watched The Devil's Candy on Netflix last night, which is a pretty good Amityville/home invasion horror flick. The family is way into metal, so it has a good soundtrack with a small clip of "Blackfire" by our boys Goya, which was a welcome surprise. Worth a watch!

This was a solid flick. The dude who plays the killer seems to always play a weirdo psychopath in everything he does. Funny to hear SUNN O))) as creepy background sound.

1 hour ago, jab said:

And raised there prices on just about everything by $1-$4

Pretty much... i know they obviously buy in smaller amounts but i bought the newest electric wizard at a local shop for 10 bucks cheaper than they are selling it for. I “get” when the imports are somewhat more expensive but when you can go to riding easy records directly and get it for 40% less they will never sell it...

I'm waiting for this to come out on vinyl. Blackened doom? They're on Conan's label, but it looks like Poisoned Mind is releasing the vinyl. Judging by the length of the songs, it's gotta be at least a double record. PM also, apparently, doesn't do pre-orders, they actually sell a product when they have it in stock(fucking innovative).

20 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2018-03-22/californias-doom-sludge-voyagers-chrch-unveil-a-devastating-new-track

sounds like windhand. Not sure i like that as I already have a band that sounds like this. You know windhand. 

Well, you might not care about this;), but just in case anyone else is looking to pick up the new CHRCH record. No mention of pressing numbers, but clear seems like it might be the obvious winner for those concerned about rarity.  https://neurotrecordings.merchtable.com/

56 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Well, you might not care about this;), but just in case anyone else is looking to pick up the new CHRCH record. No mention of pressing numbers, but clear seems like it might be the obvious winner for those concerned about rarity.  https://neurotrecordings.merchtable.com/

Why is the cheapest shipping almost $9?

5 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Yeah, that was not cool. I still went for it, but I would write them and ask if they are going to offer a media mail option. I feel like this has happened before with them. 

I think it's a Merchtable site thing, not necessarily a Neurot thing. I'm torn about whether to order it or not, honestly. I've been kind of meh about buying vinyl lately beyond stuff I'm really into/collecting.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage