Upcoming Hot Topic Releases

Alright, so which of you guys is "RareLimiteds" on Discogs?  Dude lives and breathes on VC: all the Jane Doe artist variants, Newbury exclusive, short-lived Hot Topic presses... it's out of control.  My favorite part is the photo they use on Discogs, though.  Some hand delicately leafing through records in a shop, when you know the guy hasn't ever set foot outside – let alone in a record shop.

7 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Hah, his eBay (same handle) and Discogs stores read like the topic list on the VC forum. He's just auto-subscribed and hounds every single release that's posted about. It's legitimately his full-time job.

That's obnoxious.  And kind of embarrassing.  Makes me wish the forums were private... or that we could secretly band together and devise a way to make him end up with a stack of Ed Sheeran records that he can't move.  Maybe someone will see him at RSD with an arm full of Coheed & Cambria records and knife his tires or something hit him with a bus.

Edited by Derek™

Just now, Derek™ said:

Makes me wish the forums were private... or that we could secretly band together and devise a way to make him end up with a stack of Ed Sheeran records that he can't move. 

It's sad, but I've legitimately hesitated posting things here because I know he'll be buying 4+ copies within minutes of me hitting Submit.

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That's obnoxious.  And kind of embarrassing.  Makes me wish the forums were private... or that we could secretly band together and devise a way to make him end up with a stack of Ed Sheeran records that he can't move.  Maybe someone will see him at RSD with an arm full of Coheed & Cambria records and knife his tires or something hit him with a bus.

He pulls that up here at Silver Platters and I'll give Claudio a call myself

47 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

It's sad, but I've legitimately hesitated posting things here because I know he'll be buying 4+ copies within minutes of me hitting Submit.

I've been there.  I've been fortunate enough that a lot of the shit I listen to – and you as well, I'm sure – isn't exactly sought after.  Or at least not clearly, upfront.  Dude isn't going to gamble and buy 3 copies of weird ambient records or obscure shoegaze that Newbury isn't peddling.  But I still prefer to play it safe and just text friends or VCers directly, before making a thread.  After a bit of time and confidence that we're all hooked up, I'll make a thread if there isn't one already... and it's really shitty that that's what it has come to, as a community, but it's the safest route.  And I'm so grateful for the people who text me when shit pops up, immediately: you know who you are.

I give a lot of shit in this thread and others when I see copies of the new Green Day record being flipped, or some limited Day To Remember variant, or whatever.  I joke around and suggest that no one should care enough about those records, in the first place, and that they're better off without them.  But I can practice enough empathy to realize that the situation fucking blows.  I see a lot of defense for flipping – "it's their money, dude, who are you to care what he does with it?" and "lol, Derek doesn't understand supply and demand" – but at the end of the day, if a release I wanted - really, seriously wanted - popped up and sold out while I took a night to sleep and a day to work, and was being sold immediately after at triple the price... I'd be crushed.  "Ya' snooze ya' lose" is a horse-shit rebuttal to that and I think we all know it.  I spend a ton of time tinkering on VC on my breaks, or during the evenings when I'm home, and I still find stuff that has slipped through the cracks that pertain to my interest.  It's harder for me to sympathize with people when they don't log in for a week and are devastated that they missed a PO in that timeframe, but I can actually understand why some people had been waiting on that BCR repress for years, and were miffed when it went up with minimal heads-up, and sold out within 24 hours.  That isn't to fault Pseudo Travis' subtle and brief marketing strategies in this thread – but instead of giving everyone a week or a month to mark their calendars and prepare a bulk-buy to offload on Ebay, only the unemployed neckbeard lurkers were privy to the drop.  I guess it's better to have 2-3 sweaty flippers divebomb a limited release rather than 12+?  But again, this loops back to my first paragraph, and how tricky the situation is however you cut it.

These aren't people who are buying a copy to listen to – that's a given.  But they're not even people who are buying a copy to frame, maybe eventually play, photograph on Instagram, and then resell at twice the MSRP.  These are people with zero interest in any of the bands in these threads, buying 10, 15, 20 copies of a release /900 or so, and listing them for sale before they even have them on their doorstep.  Really stupid.  And considering the limited nature of vinyl and its aftermarket these days, they can afford to cast a wide net over any topics consistently bumped at VC, because the ones that "strike it rich" will more-than compensate for purchases that they wash even on or lose money with.  It's greed and its worst, and it's gross to consider that some of these sellers probably give a cursory glance at the album art or a quizzical look over the packaging before putting it in a mailer and sending it out.  "Huh.  Is a King Gizzard Wizard Lizard the new Circus Survive?  Is that what you kids are into these days?  Alright."  If they're not already among us as a shitlord in sheep's clothing, I imagine RareLimiteds' introductory post on VC would be akin to

giphy.gif

I'm not the most active member on here.... Mostly cause I'm a pretty quiet dude and don't really have much to say... But I check the forums 2/3 times a day.  Super frustrating to have to work a double one day and miss something that I've been waiting years for. As previously stated, no real fault to new Travis... But an actual announcement of a pre-order would've been very much appreciated. 

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I spend a ton of time tinkering on VC on my breaks, or during the evenings when I'm home, and I still find stuff that has slipped through the cracks that pertain to my interest.  It's harder for me to sympathize with people when they don't log in for a week and are devastated that they missed a PO in that timeframe, but I can actually understand why some people had been waiting on that BCR repress for years, and were miffed when it went up with minimal heads-up, and sold out within 24 hours.  That isn't to fault Pseudo Travis' subtle and brief marketing strategies in this thread – but instead of giving everyone a week or a month to mark their calendars and prepare a bulk-buy to offload on Ebay, only the unemployed neckbeard lurkers were privy to the drop.

This is the best thing I have ever read on this board. Well said.

Edited by andysrobbins

23 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I spend a ton of time tinkering on VC on my breaks, or during the evenings when I'm home, and I still find stuff that has slipped through the cracks that pertain to my interest.

Nothing worse.  I've swung and missed at a couple Hot Topic records recently.  This and Horizon's Suicide Season.  Though not refreshing as frequently as the guy pictured below, I was watching the thread like a hawk for those two releases.  A couple days busy and a refresh later and better luck next time.

When you guys think about these full time flippers, who do you imagine behind the keyboard, anyways?  Anybody other than this guy?Screen_Shot_2017_03_12_at_1_41_58_AM.png

3 hours ago, verb1999 said:

Nothing worse.  I've swung and missed at a couple Hot Topic records recently.  This and Horizon's Suicide Season.  Though not refreshing as frequently as the guy pictured below, I was watching the thread like a hawk for those two releases.  A couple days busy and a refresh later and better luck next time.

When you guys think about these full time flippers, who do you imagine behind the keyboard, anyways?  Anybody other than this guy?Screen_Shot_2017_03_12_at_1_41_58_AM.png

I believe suicide season went down so quick because it was a misprint. I think new Travis said they'd go back up once they fixed the cover.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:02 AM, Derek™ said:

I've been there.  I've been fortunate enough that a lot of the shit I listen to – and you as well, I'm sure – isn't exactly sought after.  Or at least not clearly, upfront.  Dude isn't going to gamble and buy 3 copies of weird ambient records or obscure shoegaze that Newbury isn't peddling.  But I still prefer to play it safe and just text friends or VCers directly, before making a thread.  After a bit of time and confidence that we're all hooked up, I'll make a thread if there isn't one already... and it's really shitty that that's what it has come to, as a community, but it's the safest route.  And I'm so grateful for the people who text me when shit pops up, immediately: you know who you are.

I give a lot of shit in this thread and others when I see copies of the new Green Day record being flipped, or some limited Day To Remember variant, or whatever.  I joke around and suggest that no one should care enough about those records, in the first place, and that they're better off without them.  But I can practice enough empathy to realize that the situation fucking blows.  I see a lot of defense for flipping – "it's their money, dude, who are you to care what he does with it?" and "lol, Derek doesn't understand supply and demand" – but at the end of the day, if a release I wanted - really, seriously wanted - popped up and sold out while I took a night to sleep and a day to work, and was being sold immediately after at triple the price... I'd be crushed.  "Ya' snooze ya' lose" is a horse-shit rebuttal to that and I think we all know it.  I spend a ton of time tinkering on VC on my breaks, or during the evenings when I'm home, and I still find stuff that has slipped through the cracks that pertain to my interest.  It's harder for me to sympathize with people when they don't log in for a week and are devastated that they missed a PO in that timeframe, but I can actually understand why some people had been waiting on that BCR repress for years, and were miffed when it went up with minimal heads-up, and sold out within 24 hours.  That isn't to fault Pseudo Travis' subtle and brief marketing strategies in this thread – but instead of giving everyone a week or a month to mark their calendars and prepare a bulk-buy to offload on Ebay, only the unemployed neckbeard lurkers were privy to the drop.  I guess it's better to have 2-3 sweaty flippers divebomb a limited release rather than 12+?  But again, this loops back to my first paragraph, and how tricky the situation is however you cut it.

These aren't people who are buying a copy to listen to – that's a given.  But they're not even people who are buying a copy to frame, maybe eventually play, photograph on Instagram, and then resell at twice the MSRP.  These are people with zero interest in any of the bands in these threads, buying 10, 15, 20 copies of a release /900 or so, and listing them for sale before they even have them on their doorstep.  Really stupid.  And considering the limited nature of vinyl and its aftermarket these days, they can afford to cast a wide net over any topics consistently bumped at VC, because the ones that "strike it rich" will more-than compensate for purchases that they wash even on or lose money with.  It's greed and its worst, and it's gross to consider that some of these sellers probably give a cursory glance at the album art or a quizzical look over the packaging before putting it in a mailer and sending it out.  "Huh.  Is a King Gizzard Wizard Lizard the new Circus Survive?  Is that what you kids are into these days?  Alright."  If they're not already among us as a shitlord in sheep's clothing, I imagine RareLimiteds' introductory post on VC would be akin to

giphy.gif

Look, at the end of the day i am giving you what info i can without jeopordizing my own job. If that doesn't work for you, just say the word. 

Edited by STILLUNDERGROUND
TMI

On 3/11/2017 at 1:20 AM, Derek™ said:

Alright, so which of you guys is "RareLimiteds" on Discogs?  Dude lives and breathes on VC: all the Jane Doe artist variants, Newbury exclusive, short-lived Hot Topic presses... it's out of control.  My favorite part is the photo they use on Discogs, though.  Some hand delicately leafing through records in a shop, when you know the guy hasn't ever set foot outside – let alone in a record shop.

His Discogs username used to be the same as his username here, but he changed it recently...I can't imagine why.

1 hour ago, STILLUNDERGROUND said:

Look, at the end of the day i am giving you what info i can without jeopordizing my own job. If that doesn't work for you, just say the word. 

the word.  STOP.  UNSUBSCRIBE.

Kidding.  I appreciate the PM about this and I'm choosing to address it publicly, just in case anyone else misinterpreted my rant.  I'd also be curious to hear if anyone else read my soapbox post and felt like I was attacking STILLUNDERGROUND or coming off as ungrateful, because that definitely wasn't the intention.

I still don't know exactly what it is that you do within Hot Topic's reach, but that's not something I asked or feel the need to know the answer to, really.  I think it goes without saying that everyone in this thread greatly appreciates your contributions to this thread.  My post was aimed entirely at the greediest of the aftermarket flippers; if you go back and carefully read it, you'll see that I mentioned the situation is shitty no matter how it's approached.  I used an example of you dropping news of a repress one day before it goes up for sale vs. one month in advance, and how the outcome is unfortunate in either scenario, thanks to the nature of flipper-warriors who live and breathe on the boards.  I was never airing grievances about your posts or contributions and I apologize if that's what you took from my winded post.

"Marketing strategy" – or whatever phrase that I chose – was being used mostly facetiously.  Not counting the flippers who buy in bulk, I'm aware that your posts on VC do not account for a huge chunk of that ~1,000 stock flying off the shelf.  That's a given.  You don't owe any of us any information in this thread, and I think – I hope? – none of us feel entitled enough to think otherwise.  I don't think my post implied that, because I never intended to single you out or ridicule you.  But maybe I phrased something poorly, I don't know.  Either way, keep on doing what you're doing if you so choose – literally no one is complaining.