Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Oh man I'm gonna tear through a lot of these suggestions. Thanks a lot!

A lot of people like Grails, & I've tried so hard to get into them, but other than a couple songs, they just haven't done it for me. I always felt like I was waiting for so much more in their songs. I love the Middle Eastern vibe they put out, but I was always hoping for something heavier.

I completely forgot about Talons. A friend of mine suggested them a while ago & I remember checking them out & really liking them, but for whatever reason they slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder!

A lot of people like Grails, & I've tried so hard to get into them, but other than a couple songs, they just haven't done it for me. I always felt like I was waiting for so much more in their songs. I love the Middle Eastern vibe they put out, but I was always hoping for something heavier.

If you like the Middle Eastern vibe from Grails, check out the last couple Om albums.  They definitely have that feel to them mixed in with some droney goodness.  I think their stuff is heavy, but not in the traditional sense.

I've just recently come across an artist called "jakeL" on bandcamp that's pretty good. I think it might be another solo dude ala Cloudkicker. Not nearly as refined as CK but I get a "Jakob" vibe from "The Black Sea". I'd say it's worth checking out.

jakel.bandcamp.com

Also, currently checking out Damascus. So far, very solid. Balmorhea will be next.

i've always hated the term, but it refers to atypical, complex structures. complex time signatures, changes, things like that...

this makes sense. when i listened to toe for the first time (last month) i was like HOLY SHIT. my brain got a boner with all the new and exciting changes. i thought the drummer was a machine.

this makes sense. when i listened to toe for the first time (last month) i was like HOLY SHIT. my brain got a boner with all the new and exciting changes. i thought the drummer was a machine.

Were you lucky enough to catch them on tour? My God they are a different kind of animal live. Prob top 5 show for me.

Ok I've plowed through Damascus (awesome), Balmorhea (very nice change of pace), & Talons (incredible except for the whiny ass violin).

I think I remember now why Talons slipped my mind. That whiny violin just ruins everything else about it. Everything else is so goddamn good, but it's real hard to put aside that violin. Is that even a real violin? Or just a shitty sound effect?

I think I remember now why Talons slipped my mind. That whiny violin just ruins everything else about it. Everything else is so goddamn good, but it's real hard to put aside that violin. Is that even a real violin? Or just a shitty sound effect?

I'm fairly certain those are legit strings.  I personally dig 'em, and think they add a whole new dynamic to the typically guitar-crunchy post-rock.  But to each their own.  I'm just glad you didn't feel like any of those were wastes of time.

I'm fairly certain those are legit strings. I personally dig 'em, and think they add a whole new dynamic to the typically guitar-crunchy post-rock. But to each their own. I'm just glad you didn't feel like any of those were wastes of time.

The thing is I absolutely love strings, especially violin (BTW listen to Judgement Day if you love strings), but that violin just sounds too whiny for me. I'll more than likely give them more listens because like I said, everything else about their sound I loved. Maybe the strings will grow on me.

I'd also recommend The Pirate Ship Quintet to those that love the Godspeed style, and/or strings. drds89 here on the boards turned me onto them.

The Album Leaf - Start with In a Safe Place and go from there

Bersarin Quartett

Beware of Safety

Destroy All Dreamers

Detwiije

The Evpatoria Report

Glaciers

If These Trees Could Talk

Labradford

Les Fragments De La Nuit

Petrels

Povarovo

Samuel Jackson Five (anything but their s/t album)

Selaxon Lutberg

September Malevolence

Six Parts Seven

Subheim

Thisquietarmy

Tristeza

Venetian Snares

World's End Girlfriend

Yndi Halda

You May Die In The Desert

Athletics! Not just saying that because they share the name of my baseball team. Post rock vocal bonanza.

http://athleticsmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Completely amazed that they still even have this record available from the first pressing.

Gotta say out of the new stuff I've checked out so far, I've probably enjoyed Athletics the most. I think I've listened to each album 3-4 times already. Gets better with each listen. Awesome recommendation.

Still have a lot of bands in here I need to check out. If anyone gives a shit, I'll try & post my thoughts as I check stuff out.

• jhulud locked this topic