Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

A friend of mine recommended Dawn of Midi and it was pretty interesting.  I don't really know how to describe it, maybe very minimalist jazz?  I doubt I would have come across it on my own and it's a nice change of pace from the other instrumental stuff I listen to.

http://dawnofmidi.bandcamp.com/album/dysnomia

Damnit why did it take me this long get super into Mono? i've always known they were like considered one the big names, and some of the originators in post-rock kinda, but for some reason I never got all that into them, even though I had listened to them. I have have Hymn to the Immortal Wind on constant repeat the past couple days. Gonna try to pick up some of their albums on vinyl now.

tl;dr, I fucked up by not being into Mono until now.

I may be in the minority here, but I often times find Mono to sound a little too score-y.  They make beautiful music, don't get me wrong, but it just strikes me as a smidgen too cinematic and OST-esque.  Like it's written with the purpose of bringing a blockbuster sequel to life.  Not all of their material has this quality, but it comes up enough that I've decided they're a very "right mood at the right time" kind of band for me.

L&M is enjoyable, albeit super generic.  Kind of a parody in the sense that it encompasses (and even exaggerates) all the elements that make post-rock what it is.  Anyone who's followed the genre for a while will roll their eyes when new artists emerge and "borrow" tried-and-true sounds of (great) bands before them.  And to me, that's what Lights & Motion is.  Not bad by any means, just hardly memorable.

To emphasize the point of post-rock copypasta: click here, listen for ten seconds, close tab, and then click here.

Props to him for handing everything on the record all by himself, though.  I respect multi-instrumentalists quite a bit.

I may be in the minority here, but I often times find Mono to sound a little too score-y.  They make beautiful music, don't get me wrong, but it just strikes me as a smidgen too cinematic and OST-esque.  Like it's written with the purpose of bringing a blockbuster sequel to life.  Not all of their material has this quality, but it comes up enough that I've decided they're a very "right mood at the right time" kind of band for me.

yes. especially the last few. For My Parents sounded like the Godfather Soundtrack and id like to sell it. 

Not in the minority. My boyfriend and I were actually listening to For My Parents in the car one day and I kept saying what movie each song went to. Jurassic Park is in that album somewhere.

• 1 month later...
  • jhulud locked this topic