Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Lost In Kiev - Nuit Noire [2xLP]
The Seven Mile Journey - Templates for Mimesis [2xLP]
Flash The Readies - Kayos [LP]
Pray For Sound - Everything Is Beautiful (EU Edition) [2xLP]

All in stock and on sale through next Monday at http://www.athousandarms.com/

Shirt and vinyl bundles for Astralia, Lost In Kiev, Terraformer, and Ranges as well.  

On 11/16/2016 at 1:56 PM, drds89 said:

I think Gumbo gets a half point for this - not a bad comeback :lightapplause:

On 11/23/2016 at 8:28 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

So, holy fuck.  Deafheaven is ABSOLUTELY incredible live.  Wow.  I know this makes me seem like an emo sissy or whatever, but I was a fucking mess during their set.  It was just so emotional for me.  It could have been all the traveling I'd been doing, and my body was just depleted, or the fact that I was with this awesome new girl I really like who might actually work out to be something real....   but holy fuck, I cried throughout the entirety of "Dream House".  It was so cathartic.  Screaming that ending with George, right up front near him....  unreal experience. 

Unexpectedly, the end of "Come Back" also got me there as well.  Did not anticipate that.  Kerry's shimmery notes bouncing throughout that concert hall, engulfing my whole being, was just too powerful. 

I also met Kerry and George after the show.  There was some drama; they may have gotten the house soundman fired from the Chance due to deliberately mixing out George's vocals for most of the show.  Something about the soundguy not liking the Deafheaven roadie?  I don't know, it was weird... we were standing right next to them as this thing was going on, but it was so loud it was hard to tell exactly what was happening, but Kerry was pretty livid and something was happening at the sound booth. 

A new tour will be announced in a few days.  I picked up the demo on vinyl (for $30 which was fucking stupid, I realize.... oh well) a shirt, and a CD of Roads to Judah, finally. 

Oddly enough, they didn't end with Dream House.  They busted out Unrequited which was a huge, awesome surprise.  I prefer "Violet" from that album, but Unrequited was a treat as well. 

Brought To The Water

From The Kettle Onto The Coil

Come Back

Dream House -> Irresistible

Unrequited

Please keep Deafheaven OFF this thread (gracias), and you lost the 1/2 point for TMI. Way TMI. 

What was this thread like BG (Before Gumbo)?

Found this album from last year in My Music file - some decent instrument postmetal. Reminds me a bit of early PSOTY, maybe not quite as dense. Starts off with a 10 minute track, hang in there. Thank you to whomever recommended it here. I didn't pay 8 quid for it, must have been free back then.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - Wires/Dream\Wires

7 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

Holy Shit thats a lofty price point.

Cartography was only half that, and even in $AUS, I was skeptical they would come close. I was dead wrong.

Aussies will rally for this I'm betting. However, the band is really hyping it, and that usually doesn't bode well  - unless you are Caspian.

I got a 2nd press /100 of Cartography for $20 from a VC member fwiw. Gonna wait to hear this, and I'm over the Pledge/KS/etc. only to have the nonbackers get their records first and for less $.

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

This Will Destroy You with Deafheaven, and then Caspian in the same week. March is gonna be awesome. 

Would have loved to see This Will Destroy You, Deafheaven and Emma Ruth Rundle all together in London. If they bring that tour over here I will frantically disembowel the competition for a ticket. One can dream.

On 11/29/2016 at 7:20 PM, drds89 said:

Cartography was only half that, and even in $AUS, I was skeptical they would come close. I was dead wrong.

Aussies will rally for this I'm betting. However, the band is really hyping it, and that usually doesn't bode well  - unless you are Caspian.

I got a 2nd press /100 of Cartography for $20 from a VC member fwiw. Gonna wait to hear this, and I'm over the Pledge/KS/etc. only to have the nonbackers get their records first and for less $.

Yeah....  I want to support the band, but shelling out that much money ahead of time for a thing that hasn't even been recorded yet is hard to swallow.  I like Cartography least of everything they've done (it's still awesome, but the first 2 releases are my favorites and most-listened-to).  I'd really, really like to hear some demos or something. 

Still need Cartography on vinyl though...

On 11/29/2016 at 11:12 PM, Dave Grohl said:

This Will Destroy You with Deafheaven, and then Caspian in the same week. March is gonna be awesome. 

That Katatonia crowd is going to eat them up, I think.  Really curious what kind of set time they'll get as an opener. 

Also, in case anybody doesn't have it in the Euro area, Voice of the Unheard has Lights & Motion "Chronicle" and Astralia "Atlas" on sale for only 7euro.  SEVEN EUROS!!!!  Like, good lord. 

Also, all the Izah stuff is 30% through tomorrow.  Reallllllllllly strongly considering picking Sistere up on vinyl for only 20euro.  I think that's a good price.  I wish I had more money.... 

My 2016 AOTY for Post-Rock

1- Mogwai – Atomic OST
2- Hammock - Everything And Nothing
3- Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness
4- Mac Quayle - Mr. Robot OST
5- Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Stranger Things OST
6- Old Seas / Young Mountains - Vanishing Lights
7- Pray For Sound - Everything Is Beautiful
8- Mono - Requiem For Hell
9- Hollyhocks – Tryst
10- Coastlands - To Be Found
11- Amiina - Faňtomas
12- Seas of Years - The Ever Shifting Fields

37 minutes ago, andables said:

My 2016 AOTY for Post-Rock

1- Mogwai – Atomic OST
2- Hammock - Everything And Nothing
3- Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness
4- Mac Quayle - Mr. Robot OST
5- Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Stranger Things OST
6- Old Seas / Young Mountains - Vanishing Lights
7- Pray For Sound - Everything Is Beautiful
8- Mono - Requiem For Hell
9- Hollyhocks – Tryst
10- Coastlands - To Be Found
11- Amiina - Faňtomas
12- Seas of Years - The Ever Shifting Fields

You consider the Mr. Robot and Stranger score post rock? Weird.

• jhulud locked this topic