Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

22 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Unless the search is failing me, it doesn't look like Wrekmeister Harmonies has been mentioned in the thread.  Think some people in here would like them.  Post-rock/metal that reminds me of Godspeed a bit (members of GYBE play on the new album).  Long orchestrated songs.  Mostly instrumental, they lean into black metal a tad sometimes.  The new album is all around dynamite, but everything they've released has been quite good.

I need to spin Light Falls more, but I think Night of Your Ascension is a tighter overall album. Love the slow transition from the beautiful choral vocals to the sludgy, brutal doom.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:03 PM, drds89 said:

Pretty much everything on Fluttery - I mean, 100% of their bands are Post Rock/Metal and Ambient, and no vinyl. 

On 1/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, wisdom81 said:

This was released on vinyl (Glasgow Coma Scale)

13 hours ago, Sasan said:

?

Sorry this came out wrong.  Meant to say that this record was actually released on vinyl

Link

Edited by wisdom81
double post

On 1/2/2017 at 3:31 PM, athousandarms said:

In case you missed it... we have a handful of Pelican's Live at dunk!festival 2016 2xLPs back in stock and shipping now.

http://www.athousandarms.com/pelican

Spun my copy for the first time yesterday - sounds great.  Awesome setlist.  I'd say anyone on the fence about picking one up will be happy with their decision to do so

7 hours ago, wisdom81 said:

Sorry this came out wrong.  Meant to say that this record was actually released on vinyl

Link

A buddy of mine on Facebook was just talking about these guys; I checked one track and I really liked it.  Very prototypical FLuttery records type stuff.  Hopefully I'll remember to listen more tonight! 

Just got a bunch of sweet deals at Darkside Records in Poughkeepsie though while visiting my girlfriend.... Jesu "Silver" and "Conqueror" and Isis "Mosquito Control" all on CD for fucking $20.  They have a 10% off coupon for new turntables too, and they had a U-turn orbit and a Carbon Debut as well as some other nice ones....  I think i'm going to take advantage of this. 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:33 AM, Stress On The Sky said:

I still get tonnes of emails and free downloads from Fluttery records from my blogging days. Most of it bores me to tears.

Some of it bores me, but some is great.  I'm really enjoying this Glasgow Coma Scale material though.  Not sure if it warrants a purchase from me at this point yet.  Being on a stringent budget is teh sux0rz. 

Also, just saw the newest Dunk! update.  I'll be going over to see We Lost The Sea and Meniscus, and I finally gave a listen to Dumbsaint.  Those guys are brilliant!!!  I'm surprised we don't see more talk about them.  Very impressed. 

In other new-for-me news, I gave The Album Leaf a big listen last night.  Not sure if you guys consider them post-rock or post-whatever, but man.... that stuff is great!  I see why you guys all go nuts over them.  Additionally, i am now finally listening to Pianos Become The Teeth for the first time, the "Keep You" album.  Grrrrr!!!  These guys rule too!!!  I could have seen them a bunch of times, and always bailed because I thought they were some odd noise band, not a beautiful, powerful Gates-like band. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Here's one that flew under everyone's radar: Faltre - Elegeia

Really, really good stuff. The vinyl looks absolutely gorgeous, too. If anyone listens (please!) and is interested in a physical copy, the shipping stays where it is no matter how many you buy so this has the potential for a group buy. (Maybe revive the EU thread?)

Edited by omik11303

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Some of it bores me, but some is great.  I'm really enjoying this Glasgow Coma Scale material though.  Not sure if it warrants a purchase from me at this point yet.  Being on a stringent budget is teh sux0rz. 

Also, just saw the newest Dunk! update.  I'll be going over to see We Lost The Sea and Meniscus, and I finally gave a listen to Dumbsaint.  Those guys are brilliant!!!  I'm surprised we don't see more talk about them.  Very impressed. 

In other new-for-me news, I gave The Album Leaf a big listen last night.  Not sure if you guys consider them post-rock or post-whatever, but man.... that stuff is great!  I see why you guys all go nuts over them.  Additionally, i am now finally listening to Pianos Become The Teeth for the first time, the "Keep You" album.  Grrrrr!!!  These guys rule too!!!  I could have seen them a bunch of times, and always bailed because I thought they were some odd noise band, not a beautiful, powerful Gates-like band. 

Noise is awesome

I've been on a massive Totorro kick lately.  I recall downloading their debut EP and trying it out back in 2009, and being incredibly meh about it... but I'm catching up with their last few releases and they're fantastic.  Something like Toe meets And So I Watch You From Afar.  They've pet some much needed pep into my morning routine this past week or two.

33 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Really, really good stuff. The vinyl looks absolutely gorgeous, too. If anyone listens (please!) and is interested in a physical copy, the shipping stays where it is no matter how many you buy so this has the potential for a group buy. (Maybe revive the EU thread?)

Eager to hear this and get back to you.

1 hour ago, omik11303 said:

This is really good stuff. You were right... completely under the radar! No Facebook page and nothing really came up on most post rock groups.

4 hours ago, omik11303 said:

yeahhhhh this is good stuff!!!  I'm liking this first track a lot!  I like the production of the drums.... they've got that kind of pumping sound on the cymbals that the original mix of "Celestial" has. 

11 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Really enjoyed my first listen, so I purchased. Love silk-screened covers. 

33 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

lol yeah.  I think track 3 is my favorite though.  The last track is pretty damn epic too.  We should do a group buy for this before they're gone? 

Like I said, I'm definitely in, but I wouldn't be able to spearhead it. Judging by how little known these guys are, I think we can afford to wait until our other thread regulars chime in with their takes.

I will say, though, the pics of the vinyl on the Bandcamp page are absolutely beautiful. Between the screen-print, the matte black, the 180g wax, and the hand-numbering, I know I, at least, will be picking one up regardless.

• jhulud locked this topic