Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I spun my The Technicolour Sleep the other day for the first time, as well. The American Dollar has been in heavy rotation for me since that album was released. I don't know what it is about them specifically, but they are high up there for me. 

If Atlas gets pressed, I would not complain.

Probably the best deal I've ever snagged......  Set and Setting "A Vivid Memory" on 180g black for $6.99.  Spinning right now.  This thing is fucking GLORIOUS.  I love it.  Nice and quiet.... dynamics right where they need to be.  It had a bend in the cover....  no effect on the records though. 

Thoroughly enjoying this right now. 

Probably the best deal I've ever snagged......  Set and Setting "A Vivid Memory" on 180g black for $6.99.  Spinning right now.  This thing is fucking GLORIOUS.  I love it.  Nice and quiet.... dynamics right where they need to be.  It had a bend in the cover....  no effect on the records though. 

Thoroughly enjoying this right now. 

Agreed, Gumbo, A Vivid Memory on Black vinyl sounds absolutely perfect -- and (I repeat myself) I spin it more than Equanimity, also a stellar album in its own right. Sold my Purple /200 of AVM and kept the Black.

Haven't pulled the trigger on the new one yet on vinyl. Might take 10 listens like Nuit Noire.

5 hours ago, drds89 said:

Agreed, Gumbo, A Vivid Memory on Black vinyl sounds absolutely perfect -- and (I repeat myself) I spin it more than Equanimity, also a stellar album in its own right. Sold my Purple /200 of AVM and kept the Black.

Haven't pulled the trigger on the new one yet on vinyl. Might take 10 listens like Nuit Noire.

Still trying to find a copy of Equanimity on CD and Vinyl.  "Fear of Obtainment" is my favorite thing by them. 

I'm spinning my copy of Faltre right now, and this is also fucking amazing.  I think I'm starting to see the appeal of the 180g black record now.  Both of these things sounds fucking glorious.  Nice and quiet, and perfect dynamics.  The Faltre record of mine turned out to be massive water damage.  You can see the staining on the show flyer insert, and the way my jacket has been mushed.  I'm thinking someone spilled coffee on it and then mashed it into the ground?  I'm still not sure.  Or it was on a pallet, left out on the rain, and rammed with a forklift. 

The inner sleeves are fucked but somehow the records survived.  My jacket is also mangled, and most of the inserts are fucked, but.....  the records play mostly okay.  Side C has a bunch of fucked up weird noises at the start, but it goes away after a minute or 2.  It's like it's scratched on the right channel, but there's nothing visible. 

On 2/4/2017 at 0:34 PM, mrewest said:

For my birthday a while back I received 2 American Dollar albums on vinyl (A Memory Stream & Technicolour Sleep).  Just now getting around to spinning TS (spun MS around when I got them), but I just had to comment on how insanely good these records sound.  Perfectly produced & pressed.  Such rich, full sound.  Really gives new life to these albums.  I've always been a pretty casual fan of them but vinyl is definitely the best way to listen to them.  Highly recommend picking up copies of their stuff if you don't have it (although maybe I was the only one without it already haha).

just discovered these guys and will pick these both up on my next payday. wish that they still had the A Memory Stream Translucent Beer & Bronze w/ Trans & Opaque Red variant in stock tho 

On 2/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, batman said:

jason really knocked those releases out of the park. hope PSR releases more American Dollar stuff eventually!

second this. having their other releases pressed has to happen! 

I shouldn't keep spending money, but I found a copy of "Equanimity" on clear vinyl for $9.50 yesterday....   couldn't pass that up!  

Also, I had a realization today that the Faltre material really reminds me of Goodbye, Titan... especially their newest album "Daedalus".  I know some of you guys weren't too keen on that album's inclusion of pipe-flute... but I like it!  

Came across this band today, Palehorse/Palerider.  Although their Bandcamp uses tags like "Doom", "doomgaze", "shoegaze", alternative" & "psychedelic", there are definitely post-rock/metal elements here.  I think some of you would dig.  

http://palehorsepalerider1.bandcamp.com/album/burial-songs

Edited by mrewest

14 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Probably the most-worth $43 you can spend.  Outstanding release on all fronts.  One of my all-time favorite sounding records now. 

What do you guys think of the new Sleepmakeswaves track?

I gave that Faltre a listen & it didn't do anything at all for me.  It's funny how far off my tastes are to you guys sometimes haha.

As far as that Sleepmakeswaves track, I was severely underwhelmed.  Sounded so generic for a band like them.  Maybe it'll grow on me.

Here it is FYI, unless there's an official stream somewhere.

4 hours ago, Sasan said:

Go to http://kapitaen-platte.de

They sell the record 7€ cheaper than the band and shipping to US is only 7.50€! So, total of around $28 ppd!

Damn!  Even though I supported the band directly, I wish I knew about that! 

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

I gave that Faltre a listen & it didn't do anything at all for me.  It's funny how far off my tastes are to you guys sometimes haha.

As far as that Sleepmakeswaves track, I was severely underwhelmed.  Sounded so generic for a band like them.  Maybe it'll grow on me.

Here it is FYI, unless there's an official stream somewhere.

Fucking listen to it again.  Haha.  The first track is very "by the books" as far as post-rock goes, but the rest of the songs are just absolutely mind-blowing in their creativity.  Very very well-thought out song-structures.  You would do well to listen to it again, and pay close attention to the 2nd-6th songs. 

The last track is particularly impressive.  But all of the songs after the 1st track are much more unique.  And the vinyl sounds SO GOOD. 

As far as the Sleepmakeswaves track, yeah.... it didn't grab me a whole lot on first listen.  It feels much too "busy".  Some good parts for sure, but I really want to hear more before I drop anything on it.  Same with the new Junius.  I listened to that new song again yesterday a couple times, and it's very good, but I think I'll wait until I see them in April to pick it up.  Save on shipping, help the band on tour... etc etc. 

21 hours ago, mrewest said:

Came across this band today, Palehorse/Palerider.  Although their Bandcamp uses tags like "Doom", "doomgaze", "shoegaze", alternative" & "psychedelic", there are definitely post-rock/metal elements here.  I think some of you would dig.  

http://palehorsepalerider1.bandcamp.com/album/burial-songs

Good find. In my neck of the woods so I'll have to keep an eye out.

7 hours ago, Sasan said:

Go to http://kapitaen-platte.de

They sell the record 7€ cheaper than the band and shipping to US is only 7.50€! So, total of around $28 ppd!

Niceeee. I need to throw together a Kapitaen order soon. They got some Ef stuff that I need. Plus this Faltre record is crazy good.

Any of you guys ever deal with getting claims paid out by the USPS?  they told me today that in order to file a claim, I need to forfeit my copy of the record.  Then, if the claim is paid out, I have the opportunity to buy it back from them at auction, unless they deem the record has no value to them. 

They tried telling me that maybe the band shipped it in a water-damaged mailer, or that it was already damaged when he sent it, and that scratched records can be resurfaced and restored.  I told them, flatly, "no, that did not happen."  Why would a band put their reputation on the line by sending out damaged merchandise?  This is a piece of art, the band wouldn't go through all the trouble to make it and then send them out in half-assed condition.  Although I'm hearing from other people that the mailer used for them was cobbled together, so perhaps I was mistaken. 

In any event, I feel like that's a massive fuck-you to the consumer.  "Oh yeah, we'll cover your claim.... but you don't get to keep the item.  Oh, but you want it?  Okay, you can buy it back from us."

TRL was kind enough to send me a replacement of my "Pipal Tree" though.  Unsolicited.  I just messaged them to let them know about all the scratches on my copy (3 in total.... Side B and 2 on Side D - all causing loud ticks; the grooves are completely abraded) in hopes of them being able to avoid it for other people, and Anna was just like "I'll send a replacement!"  So i bought "Insomniac Doze" on black because it's only $20.... which I should have done when I had the 20% off coupon because it would have only been $16.  Oh well, live and learn. 

Still no word from Temples on my Youth vinyl.  Time to put a claim in for that now!  Money was sent a month ago, no word from them.  Can anybody speak to having paypal claims paid out?  I have a week or so left before my Callisto claim reaches deadline for the seller to respond, and I just am curious how this goes about.  If the seller doesn't respond, does my claim automatically get paid out? 

11 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Any of you guys ever deal with getting claims paid out by the USPS?  they told me today that in order to file a claim, I need to forfeit my copy of the record.  Then, if the claim is paid out, I have the opportunity to buy it back from them at auction, unless they deem the record has no value to them. 

They tried telling me that maybe the band shipped it in a water-damaged mailer, or that it was already damaged when he sent it, and that scratched records can be resurfaced and restored.  I told them, flatly, "no, that did not happen."  Why would a band put their reputation on the line by sending out damaged merchandise?  This is a piece of art, the band wouldn't go through all the trouble to make it and then send them out in half-assed condition.  Although I'm hearing from other people that the mailer used for them was cobbled together, so perhaps I was mistaken. 

In any event, I feel like that's a massive fuck-you to the consumer.  "Oh yeah, we'll cover your claim.... but you don't get to keep the item.  Oh, but you want it?  Okay, you can buy it back from us."

TRL was kind enough to send me a replacement of my "Pipal Tree" though.  Unsolicited.  I just messaged them to let them know about all the scratches on my copy (3 in total.... Side B and 2 on Side D - all causing loud ticks; the grooves are completely abraded) in hopes of them being able to avoid it for other people, and Anna was just like "I'll send a replacement!"  So i bought "Insomniac Doze" on black because it's only $20.... which I should have done when I had the 20% off coupon because it would have only been $16.  Oh well, live and learn. 

Still no word from Temples on my Youth vinyl.  Time to put a claim in for that now!  Money was sent a month ago, no word from them.  Can anybody speak to having paypal claims paid out?  I have a week or so left before my Callisto claim reaches deadline for the seller to respond, and I just am curious how this goes about.  If the seller doesn't respond, does my claim automatically get paid out? 

USPS is notorious for not paying on insurance claims.

12 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

USPS is notorious for not paying on insurance claims.

Arrrrgh.  I guess I'll try and see what happens.  But yeah, the woman told me that all claim items get seized and then sold at auction so that the USPS never has to actually lose any money. 

I kinda felt like a dick at the window because I was like "Yeah and look at the stellar tape job... it looks like they just said "ahhh fuck it" and then shipped it back off" and the woman was like "Yeah it came in that way, I taped it up for you."  ::facepalm::  Granted, it's a pretty half-assed job, but... I felt bad lol. 

Their insistence that it was the sender's fault though was pretty irritating.  They told me he probably sent it with the water stains on the show flyer, and that the mailer was probably busted, and that it was already bent.  I'm like "dude, no.  That's not how this works lol"  She said she can't tell me how many times a day people come in with busted up things and they say "Are you sure you want to send it like this?" and the people are like "ehhh... yeah, it'll go."  Even while I was in there they were talking about some package they received that had coffee stains all over it, and they used the Priority Mail tape to tape over it with so that the recipient knew that it wasn't the post office who spilled coffee all over the package. 

Maybe I'm giving bands who press their stuff to vinyl too much credit? 

• jhulud locked this topic