Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

New Junius track!  This one I don't like as much, but I'll need to give it another listen or 2.  The Set and Setting set was great, though!  Specular Wavefronts Of was nice to hear live.  Saudade was great, but the big highlight was probably Idyllic Realm.  That sounded the best in the live setting, I think. 

http://clrvynt.com/junius-clean-the-beast-video/

New Terraformer LP 'Mineral' is available on our webstore.  Orange vinyl and Purple with Black Splatter vinyl variants.  We only got in a handful of these so if you want it, get it now:  http://www.athousandarms.com/dunkmerch/terraformer-mineral-lp

Also, we have some of Kokomo's second edition of 'Monochrome Noise Love' up for sale for those that may have missed out on the first run.  New vinyl colors are pretty slick: http://www.athousandarms.com/dunkmerch/kokomo-monochrome-noise-love-2xlp

As always, use promo code: vinylcollective to get 10% off your vinyl order.  

Thanks!

Edited by athousandarms

34 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Awesome of you to whip up a discount code for VC.

Not to judge a book by its cover, but that Terraformer album is the biggest train-wreck I've seen on any album art for 2017.  Down to the font.  Just... yikes.

Yeahhhhh I agree with this haha.  I don't get it at all.  Especially because the art for their first two albums is awesome.  Only thing redeeming this 1%, is that orange vinyl looks good with it.

Can't decide if I'm gonna pull the trigger.  Gave the album a listen today & if you've listened to Terraformer in the past, you know exactly what you're getting here.  It's good for what it is but I didn't notice any real standout moments.  Not as good as Creatures upon first listen.

Edited by mrewest

Tapes obviously aren't ideal, but this release gave me an excuse to throw some money at the Sheath. More support equals more records and I want those Jakobs. 

Plus I love that they released D&D in some format. They gave us Caspian from the start, so I think it's cool how it's come full circle. Nothing against TC, but I miss the Sheath preorder parties on their message board and the handwritten notes. Long live the Sheath. 

On 2/17/2017 at 9:56 AM, batman said:

Tapes obviously aren't ideal, but this release gave me an excuse to throw some money at the Sheath. More support equals more records and I want those Jakobs. 

Plus I love that they released D&D in some format. They gave us Caspian from the start, so I think it's cool how it's come full circle. Nothing against TC, but I miss the Sheath preorder parties on their message board and the handwritten notes. Long live the Sheath. 

Credit to jonrawks, who posted this on the cassette forum.  Fans of post-BM style music (DFHVN, Alcest, WITTR, etc.) but are put off by the screeching demonic vocals, AND....has quite a bit of quiet piano interludes between the blast beats, should find this instrumental solo project from Azerbaijan worth a shot

Violet Cold - Magic Night 

I picked up a tape :) -  along with a D&D from the Sheath on Thursday, as a true Caspian and Sheath fan :);)

4 hours ago, drds89 said:

Credit to jonrawks, who posted this on the cassette forum.  Fans of post-BM style music (DFHVN, Alcest, WITTR, etc.) but are put off by the screeching demonic vocals, AND....has quite a bit of quiet piano interludes between the blast beats, should find this instrumental solo project from Azerbaijan worth a shot

Violet Cold - Magic Night 

Thanks for doing the post in here!  I was feeling a bit lazy kept putting it off, haha

lol I have the worst luck!  I picked up a copy of Envy's "Insomniac Doze" from TRL because Ana sent me a new "Pipal Tree" since my was scratched in so many places, and THIS is also scratched haha.  It's over the intro of "The Unknown Glow" which is the worst possible place for it to occur on that album, because it starts so soft and quiet.  This one is like, a splatter scratch.  It's blotchy, and made up of a bunch of small dot-like things.... it isn't a single streaking cut.  I wish I knew what it was that caused these!  2xLP in a single classic jacket seems to always be a cause for concern, because they were sliding around inside of it pretty good when I opened the package so I had a feeling something would be amiss. 

The vinyl gods truly hate me. 

Probably cause you complain so much? But seriously it's probably your set up. It's funny cause you seem to be the only one who has / complains about scratches. I have a few but they're superficial and don't effect play after a good cleaning. After five years I haven't had a record that was scratched to the point it wouldn't play properly. Superficial / aestetic scratches are nothing to complain about. Tons of my records have that, cause pretty much every record gets them. It's a piece of plastic sliding around in a piece of paper. What do you expect, for them to be flawless? If so, you're in the wrong game. If you're so worried about scratches maybe get a stylus that can handle them, cause that's probably what the issue is honestly. Or you should stick to CDs, or better yet, go the hi-fi digital route. No scratches cause it isn't tangible. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

27 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Probably cause you complain so much? But seriously it's probably your set up. It's funny cause you seem to be the only one who has / complains about scratches. I have a few but they're superficial and don't effect play after a good cleaning. After five years I haven't had a record that was scratched to the point it wouldn't play properly. Superficial / aestetic scratches are nothing to complain about. Tons of my records have that, cause pretty much every record gets them. It's a piece of plastic sliding around in a piece of paper. What do you expect, for them to be flawless? If so, you're in the wrong game. If you're so worried about scratches maybe get a stylus that can handle them, cause that's probably what the issue is honestly. Or you should stick to CDs, or better yet, go the hi-fi digital route. No scratches cause it isn't tangible. 

My setup has nothing to do with it man haha.  This was another sealed record.  I got to disc 2, side C and laid it down and saw it in the light.  Nothing anybody could have done or known ahead of time.  It's just funny, the frequency this seems to happen.

So let me ask you though....  these scratches you say go away after a good cleaning:  are they ones that initially caused a fuzzy tick when the needle went over them?  That's what I'm talking about here.  I have tons of records that have superficial scratches (those Toundra ones are LOADED, but they play fine) but this is one that affects the play by causing the tick as it goes over.  Superficial scratches, while visibly unappealing, are of no consequence and although I wish they didn't exist, I could really give a shit about because they don't affect the playback. 

I'll get a picture later and show you what this one is, so you can see what i'm talking about. 

Sounds like your stylus can't handle the scratches. All records get superficial scratches. As Matt said it's a piece of plastic in an usually abrasive piece of paper. Some cartridges better than others at handling scratches. Cleaning them does not make scratches go away, but it'll clean out the grime in the area you think might be from a scratch. Rarely shit happens and you do get a deep scratch, but the odds are your stylus/cartridge is set-up incorrectly/or shows every imperfection in the vinyl.

Your set up has A LOT to do with it. You should do your research, cause the more work you put in the more you'll get out. As Thomas said, it's mostly likely your set up not being able to handle the slight scratches. And no, cleaning doesn't fix scratches, but it does remove a lot of what you think might be scratches. Not every pop or click is simply a 'scratch'. 

Really though, learn more about the hobby. Learn how how records are pressed, how they work, how the information is read, what effects play, how to fix it, etc. You say 'it isn't my set up' but you aren't that versed in the hobby, opposed to many on here. I'm not saying there are people in here better than you, but why not listen to the advice more seasoned people have to offer instead of make complaints only to brush off someone giving you advice. You complain about the common stuff that no one complains about cause we all know better, and that these are common 'issuses'. The fact that they aren't even issues, it just what's you get to deal with. We tell you what it is, how to fix it, but you'd rather complain. C'mon, man. So many nice people are trying to help. Why not take the advice, build, learn, grow. If you spent half the time learning as you do complaining, you would solve most of your issues. Think of all of the time, frustration, shipping, negotiating of replacements, money, etc you'll save ...

This is my last time giving you advice. It's always in one ear out the other. Do what ya want, except complain - stop complaining. You're a grown man. :)

Edited by Dave Grohl

• jhulud locked this topic