Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

1 hour ago, omik11303 said:

I have very high hopes for this. First track was great.

little bit of "The Raven" in there!  6-7ish minute mark features a very similar melody to the synths during the heavy riff at the beginning "The Raven".  Enjoying this track though, can't wait for the rest of the album.  Swift pre-order!

1 minute ago, shamrocks said:

no they batch the notifications and then you get them once daily, things have sometimes already sold.

also some sellers refresh the sale list every day and you get the notification every time

Well but that's what I mean, so if i'm getting notifications for some things that have already sold, why don't I get others? 

5 minutes ago, kentin31 said:

I'm guessing they only check everyone's want list once per hour or so and send them all once a day. If something sold in less than twenty minutes, that makes sense

Ah I suppose that makes sense....  it always baffled me why I'd hear about people picking up something that was in my wantlist, but I never got a notification, and then other times i get notification, but when I click on it, it's already sold lol. 

Lets talk more about this Astralia track though!  I really like it, considering the similarities it has to The Raven :P

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha right on, but I'll still get notifications from things that sold.  I click on the link, and then it just says the item is no longer available.  There's like, maybe 5 or 6 albums I ever get notifications on, and it's always that the same people are selling it lol.  I've got "It's Not Me, It's You!" from a user named Der-Gut-Ton or something I get an email about once a week.  Their code makes no sense. 

Haha, I get this same email.

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

Shows you how much I pay attention to the main forum lately.  But yeah the whole layout of this record looks pretty incredible.  Will pick up at some point.  The single really does sound fresh in the genre. Upbeat, a little electronic action without it taking over the song, but still with that DMST sound you recognize.  And a bit of a psychadelic groove to it.  

Black vinyl. No F5 craziness. Great pressings, great label. May be able to shave a bit off with a single purchase from Amazon or Bullmoose. But there's always some ASMZ albums i need... to make the shipping cost worthwhile. And then I end up trading them for something and orderingreplacements again haha.

Nice to be able to pick this up at leisure, and agreed re: the track released - love it.

Need to hear some more of the Astralia...

Gumbo, the days of a truly novel riff in music - unless in the wildly experimental anarchy - are long gone. Every band has used the chord progression in Sober at least once, and Tool ripped it as well. So we get it, OK? You're an encyclopedia, or thesaurus, of riffage.

7 hours ago, mrewest said:

I'm just glad it doesn't sound like Malacoda.

I actually haven't listened to it and was just posting for the sake of redundancy.  For what it's worth.

A few years ago, a friend and I were discussing the infamous Discogs wantlist e-mails, and we theorized that there are people out there using some sort of macro or instant notification system.  Before Brand New's Deja Entendu was repressed and copies were going for $150+ regularly, I listed one for $20 just to see what would happen.  Anyone who sees rare Discogs variants listed for dirt cheap is probably well aware that they were sold under the incorrect listing – which is why it's very important to inquire before paying – and that's the excuse I gave to the would-be "buyer".  (No money was exchanged.)  The buyer knew it had to be too good to be true, anyway, so I don't feel that guilty – it was an experiment for the sake of science.  The remarkable part is that it sold in less than 10 seconds.  No exaggeration; I clicked "submit" to post the listing, refreshed my store to make sure it was posted, and noticed my phone blow up with New Order confirmation e-mails.  I am 100% confident that there's a crowd out there who have some sort of automated system scope their wantlist, 24/7.  Not many (and I hope they stay away from the stuff I'm after), but it's hard for me to suspect otherwise.

16 hours ago, drds89 said:

Gumbo, the days of a truly novel riff in music - unless in the wildly experimental anarchy - are long gone. Every band has used the chord progression in Sober at least once, and Tool ripped it as well. So we get it, OK? You're an encyclopedia, or thesaurus, of riffage.

I feel like you guys perceive some derision in me pointing that...  In the jamband world, which as you know is the other major part of my musical identity, bands tease other songs in jams fairly frequently, and it's kind of like a sport to point them out, to see whether you can pick up on it or not.  So when I say "hey there's a tease of The Raven!" it's more like I'm excited because i noticed it.  My one friend's band teases their own songs all the time, and I love it.  It's like a musical game of cat and mouse, in a way... to see if you can notice and find them all.  For me, it's very fun!  I guess you are just different with that, is all. 

4 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

No.

No?  so how would you describe them? 

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I feel like you guys perceive some derision in me pointing that...  In the jamband world, which as you know is the other major part of my musical identity, bands tease other songs in jams fairly frequently, and it's kind of like a sport to point them out, to see whether you can pick up on it or not.  So when I say "hey there's a tease of The Raven!" it's more like I'm excited because i noticed it.  My one friend's band teases their own songs all the time, and I love it.  It's like a musical game of cat and mouse, in a way... to see if you can notice and find them all.  For me, it's very fun!  I guess you are just different with that, is all. 

9 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

No.

Never heard of that "game" sorry :(

I don't hear GIAA (early, middle or recent) either, more like... Cathedral Ring??  

19 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I actually haven't listened to it and was just posting for the sake of redundancy.  For what it's worth.

A few years ago, a friend and I were discussing the infamous Discogs wantlist e-mails, and we theorized that there are people out there using some sort of macro or instant notification system.  Before Brand New's Deja Entendu was repressed and copies were going for $150+ regularly, I listed one for $20 just to see what would happen.  Anyone who sees rare Discogs variants listed for dirt cheap is probably well aware that they were sold under the incorrect listing – which is why it's very important to inquire before paying – and that's the excuse I gave to the would-be "buyer".  (No money was exchanged.)  The buyer knew it had to be too good to be true, anyway, so I don't feel that guilty – it was an experiment for the sake of science.  The remarkable part is that it sold in less than 10 seconds.  No exaggeration; I clicked "submit" to post the listing, refreshed my store to make sure it was posted, and noticed my phone blow up with New Order confirmation e-mails.  I am 100% confident that there's a crowd out there who have some sort of automated system scope their wantlist, 24/7.  Not many (and I hope they stay away from the stuff I'm after), but it's hard for me to suspect otherwise.

18 hours ago, shamrocks said:

yeah i put a page monitor on the vinyl films boxset a few years back to try to get one of the cheap ones that were popping up and it can notify you whenever the page changes, obviously before the mass email.  Im sure that happens more often on discogs than we think

The rare coin market (in the low to mid tiers, ~$100 to $500 coins) is about this competitive and fast as well. I wondered  how people did it, keeping their smartphones with them on alert 24/7, checking every beep (before I even had a smart phone). Addicted like crack or something, to get that score, especially under-priced coins by dealers who didn't know the niche market like the avid fans or flippers.

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Most of the time, 'startup' or new post rock groups always says 'sounds like ________' and list the power houses in the genre. We know they won't. Those new to the genre might. It's like they think we don't know what post-rock means if they just say 'hey, we're a post rock group. Check us out'. The problem here lies the fact that the ones they 'sound like' are massive staples and influences that bears no similarities. GIAA definitely has their own sound. I need to find at least one familiar trademark to be able to relate and found none. So yeah, Cathedral Rings sounds like themselves. 

8 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

Most of the time, 'startup' or new post rock groups always says 'sounds like ________' and list the power houses in the genre. We know they won't. Those new to the genre might. It's like they think we don't know what post-rock means if they just say 'hey, we're a post rock group. Check us out'. The problem here lies the fact that the ones they 'sound like' are massive staples and influences that bears no similarities. GIAA definitely has their own sound. I need to find at least one familiar trademark to be able to relate and found none. So yeah, Cathedral Rings sounds like themselves. 

Yeah I mean, I found the Mogwai, Red Sparowes, GIAA and Caspian tags a little funny because those bands sound nothing alike haha.  However, when listening to Cathedral Ring, I got the feeling of "Ahhh well if GIAA focused more on darker atmospheres and not the transcendent, joyous, uplifting thing they do... this is what it might sound like". 

Now here's a question though...  what if a band listed some more underground post-rock bands, to try to be more accurate in their comparisons?  Lets say, like...  The End of the Ocean, or Spurv, or Mooncake.  Do you think this would work better for a band?  Because on the one hand, it would show a more discerning listener... someone who knows the post-rock pantheon quite well.  However, it could be detrimental because not everybody who listens to post-rock is as obsessive as us.  Because even in the post-rock circles, there are vacuums.  I was talking to Kit from This Patch of Sky yesterday, and he hadn't heard of Shy, Low before (he loved Nostos and the Binary Opposition EP after listening). 

It asks the question:  are you more intrigued by a comparison to bands you don't know, or by bands you would know?  Or does a comparison list even matter to you?  (this is just a hypothetical for everyone...  i love thinking about this kinda stuff)

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah I mean, I found the Mogwai, Red Sparowes, GIAA and Caspian tags a little funny because those bands sound nothing alike haha.  However, when listening to Cathedral Ring, I got the feeling of "Ahhh well if GIAA focused more on darker atmospheres and not the transcendent, joyous, uplifting thing they do... this is what it might sound like". 

Now here's a question though...  what if a band listed some more underground post-rock bands, to try to be more accurate in their comparisons?  Lets say, like...  The End of the Ocean, or Spurv, or Mooncake.  Do you think this would work better for a band?  Because on the one hand, it would show a more discerning listener... someone who knows the post-rock pantheon quite well.  However, it could be detrimental because not everybody who listens to post-rock is as obsessive as us.  Because even in the post-rock circles, there are vacuums.  I was talking to Kit from This Patch of Sky yesterday, and he hadn't heard of Shy, Low before (he loved Nostos and the Binary Opposition EP after listening). 

It asks the question:  are you more intrigued by a comparison to bands you don't know, or by bands you would know?  Or does a comparison list even matter to you?  (this is just a hypothetical for everyone...  i love thinking about this kinda stuff)

I would say a comparison list shouldn't factor in to the music. These days, if a band has a FFO: EITS tag, I might not even listen to it. Already that shows no effort to distance themselves from any other post-rock groups, and that's before I've even listened to their music. I'd rather form my own tastes.

Now, when albums are rec'd to me it's a little different. Generally this comes on forums like these where we're all passably familiar with each other's tastes so somebody can hear something, identify a similarity, and tag another person who would appreciate it in a Bandcamp link or what have you. Important not to overdo this, though.

• jhulud locked this topic