Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

So, I have a question for you guys all about Test Presses.  I ordered one of the ITTCT s/t-ate/bts test presses off of Discogs for a buddy in Switzerland (the seller wouldn't do international/overseas, so i'm shipping it for him) and I'm giving it a spin now.... and good god, this thing sounds INCREDIBLE. 

Is it a thing that test presses sound better?  This is the first one I've ever encountered, and I'm spinning Side C right now for the opening of ATE/BTS and the sound is HUGE and pristine.  Very, very impressed.  I can't stress this enough how great this sounds.  The test is #21/50. 

This might be one of the best-sounding records I've ever listened to... this is what I've always imagined a perfect record to sound like.  Full-bodied, dimensional, and very crisp high end.  It's been a very long time since I've spun my regular edition clear, but holy cow... I can't get over the fidelity on this thing. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

5 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, I have a question for you guys all about Test Presses.  I ordered one of the ITTCT s/t-ate/bts test presses off of Discogs for a buddy in Switzerland (the seller wouldn't do international/overseas, so i'm shipping it for him) and I'm giving it a spin now.... and holy fucking christ, this thing sounds INCREDIBLE. 

Is it a thing that test presses sound better?  This is the first one I've ever encountered, and I'm spinning Side C right now for the opening of ATE/BTS and the sound is HUGE and pristine.  Very, very impressed.  I can't stress this enough how great this sounds.  The test is #21/50. 

This might be the best-sounding record I've ever listened to.  It's been a very long time since I've spun my regular edition clear, but holy cow... I can't get over the fidelity on this thing. 

No. Ask yourself that question again. Why would that be a thing, gumbo?

Back when they were pressing 10000 of a record at a time later presses maybe wouldn't sound as good, but in small runs there just isn't that same breakdown of the stampers.

Just now, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Back when they were pressing 10000 of a record at a time later presses maybe wouldn't sound as good, but in small runs there just isn't that same breakdown of the stampers.

Indeed, I have zero experience with test presses, so I asked!  I was just taken aback by how great and big the sound is on this, I was curious.  I guess people are into the TP thing simply for the limited nature, and not any sonic advantages!

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I mean, if for some reason he has s rejected test press that he likes better... that's a possibility...

...slim but possible

Just now, GHOSTDRONES said:

I mean, if for some reason he has s rejected test press that he likes better... that's a possibility...

...slim but possible

I have zero test presses haha, this is the first one I've ever encountered in real-life.  I would think a rejected test-press wouldn't ever make it into sales circulation anyway, but maybe they do sometimes?

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have zero test presses haha, this is the first one I've ever encountered in real-life.  I would think a rejected test-press wouldn't ever make it into sales circulation anyway, but maybe they do sometimes?

Like when Mylene sold 50 copies of that same test press you're discussing?  Or the 50 test press copies of Jakob's Sines?

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

good god, this thing sounds INCREDIBLE.

the sound is HUGE and pristine.

This might be one of the best-sounding records I've ever listened to... this is what I've always imagined a perfect record to sound like

rOg0X.gif

Literally all I picture when I read about 90% of Gumbo's posts.

52 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Like when Mylene sold 50 copies of that same test press you're discussing?  Or the 50 test press copies of Jakob's Sines?

Yeah I mean.... it's hard to really see it as a "test press" when they made 50 lol.  It sounds damn incredible though! 

43 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

Nobody's really suggesting those are true test presses are they?  Why would a plant make 50 tests of a 500 run?  I just assume there are 10 black tests in plain jackets somewhere and we all have the "test pressing" limited variant

Somewhere..... somebody has the test-press test presses.....   XD

29 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

Black run of 350. 

Sell 300 as black for $25

sell 50 as tests for $75

theres your answer gumbo. 

There was no black run of this, but I see your point.  I suppose I prefer to look at labels as more honorable than that haha. 

How much did you guys pay for these new, do you remember?  Spinning Side A now, and man....  I've never heard Malabar Front sound so good.  Shit's incredible.

27 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

There was no black run of this, but I see your point.  I suppose I prefer to look at labels as more honorable than that haha. 

How much did you guys pay for these new, do you remember?  Spinning Side A now, and man....  I've never heard Malabar Front sound so good.  Shit's incredible.

Those tests directly from the Sheath were $50.  I hate having to try & keep up this ITTCT collection .

45 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I don't buy test presses /20+, but I believe they were $50.  If you wholeheartedly believe they sound unmistakably better than other presses, I'm sure Mylene will offer similar test presses for the Jakob represses around the corner.  You should really consider those.  Or at least black vinyl, going forward.

Or. Orrrr. He could upgrade his TT instead of spending $50 per test. Let us not forget that still needs to happen. ::cue Matt::

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Or. Orrrr. He could upgrade his TT instead of spending $50 per test. Let us not forget that still needs to happen. ::cue Matt::

I bought this for a buddy in Switzerland.  His funds... not mine.  For helping him out, I get to listen before I ship them out.   :)  But yeah...  this will be happening soon.  What's very weird is that today I took a copy of Shy, Low's "Binary Opposition" /50 purple that I got for another Swiss buddy to my local shop to have their VPI go over it because my cleaning couldn't get rid of this one rhythmic noise that I thought was dirt/dust in the grooves that goes on for the first couple minutes on "Presence" over the intro, which is very noticeable on my turntable.  Shop cleans it, and I test play it in the store on an Optimus LAB 1100 turntable via headphones, and the surface noise was completely gone.  Take it home, throw it on mine, and that noise was there again.  So, no clue what the fuck is going on, because when I put the ITTCT on at home after the Shy, Low record.... dead silent.  No issues. 

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I don't buy test presses /20+, but I believe they were $50.  If you wholeheartedly believe they sound unmistakably better than other presses, I'm sure Mylene will offer similar test presses for the Jakob represses around the corner.  You should really consider those.  Or at least black vinyl, going forward.

I think the switch has been flipped to buying black vinyl...  I'm starting to see the effects first-hand now.  Some of my early favorite sounding records were clear though, so it's taken a while. 

I gotta go back and play my regular clear version of this album though, because I just don't remember it sounding THIS good but maybe it will haha.  That's for tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I bought this for a buddy in Switzerland.  His funds... not mine.  For helping him out, I get to listen before I ship them out.   :)  But yeah...  this will be happening soon.  What's very weird is that today I took a copy of Shy, Low's "Binary Opposition" /50 purple that I got for another Swiss buddy to my local shop to have their VPI go over it because my cleaning couldn't get rid of this one rhythmic noise that I thought was dirt/dust in the grooves that goes on for the first couple minutes on "Presence" over the intro, which is very noticeable on my turntable.  Shop cleans it, and I test play it in the store on an Optimus LAB 1100 turntable via headphones, and the surface noise was completely gone.  Take it home, throw it on mine, and that noise was there again.  So, no clue what the fuck is going on, because when I put the ITTCT on at home after the Shy, Low record.... dead silent.  No issues. 

I think the switch has been flipped to buying black vinyl...  I'm starting to see the effects first-hand now.  Some of my early favorite sounding records were clear though, so it's taken a while. 

I gotta go back and play my regular clear version of this album though, because I just don't remember it sounding THIS good but maybe it will haha.  That's for tomorrow. 

Imagine how young g will react if he ever gets a decent turntable setup.

ATTN:   USA residents.  I've been in contact with Hakim from Paint The Sky Red in Singapore, regarding purchasing some CD copies of "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" and their S/T album.  Would any of you guys be interested in picking up a copy of NAWWAL?  As it stands, a single CD from them is about $25ppd, but if we get a few shipped, the price comes down of course because of shipping breaks.  I personally love their stuff, and think NAWWAL to be fantastic.  I believe it was a pretty universally-regarded album here as well, iirc. 

I'm getting it either way, but I figured we could all end up saving some money if some of you guys wanted to grab a copy of this as well.  They are not available online anywhere, only at the band's concerts. 

3 hours ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Imagine how young g will react if he ever gets a decent turntable setup.

I'm accepting donations to this cause.  All funds will go directly to the purchase of a new turntable and amplifier.  I believe the amplifier to be a more pressing issue, because my adds some noise as you turn it up. 

I think I've settled on going for the Music Hall MMF2.1 because it seems like a good price, and comes with an Ortofon cartridge, although I'm seeing this new Pro-Ject Primary limited edition, which also comes with an Ortofon cartridge and can be had for $200ppd.  I'm unfamiliar with this line from them, can anybody comment?  The website just says it's the simplest one...  plug and play, no setting up of anti-skate, etc. 

EDIT:  or there's this......  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-Debut-III-Record-Player-Turntable-Vinyl-Ortofon-OMB-5E-Cartridge/352002973687?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41669%26meid%3D87cf7f4f7bd64f62bddc188ec50fadad%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D272591658957

Edited by Gumbo72203

49 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

ATTN:   USA residents.  I've been in contact with Hakim from Paint The Sky Red in Singapore, regarding purchasing some CD copies of "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" and their S/T album.  Would any of you guys be interested in picking up a copy of NAWWAL?  As it stands, a single CD from them is about $25ppd, but if we get a few shipped, the price comes down of course because of shipping breaks.  I personally love their stuff, and think NAWWAL to be fantastic.  I believe it was a pretty universally-regarded album here as well, iirc. 

I'm getting it either way, but I figured we could all end up saving some money if some of you guys wanted to grab a copy of this as well.  They are not available online anywhere, only at the band's concerts. 

I'm accepting donations to this cause.  All funds will go directly to the purchase of a new turntable and amplifier.  I believe the amplifier to be a more pressing issue, because my adds some noise as you turn it up. 

I think I've settled on going for the Music Hall MMF2.1 because it seems like a good price, and comes with an Ortofon cartridge, although I'm seeing this new Pro-Ject Primary limited edition, which also comes with an Ortofon cartridge and can be had for $200ppd.  I'm unfamiliar with this line from them, can anybody comment?  The website just says it's the simplest one...  plug and play, no setting up of anti-skate, etc. 

EDIT:  or there's this......  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-Debut-III-Record-Player-Turntable-Vinyl-Ortofon-OMB-5E-Cartridge/352002973687?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41669%26meid%3D87cf7f4f7bd64f62bddc188ec50fadad%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D272591658957

Your turntable is garbage. You get garbage signal pumped through a weak amp. You get weak garbage sound limply exuding from your speakers.

• jhulud locked this topic