Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

I figured, I'm skipping past his 75 paragraph responses to every single post here as is, I may as well just clean it up for good.  Just sick of the ramblings of what sounds like a high-schooler.  

Such hyperbole, man.  Relax.  Funny how members of a discussion board loathe actual discussion of the thread topic!  You guys are so bizarre to me. 

I also love how I've never been unkind, nor said a disparaging word to a single one of you, yet you guys all deem it okay to consistently and unflinchingly crowd-pounce upon me.  Not really cool?  I mean, the thread name-change...  people behaving differently in the thread vs. pm's with me...  It's just like, really?  I don't get it. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

5 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I also love how I've never been unkind, nor said a disparaging word to a single one of you, yet you guys all deem it okay to consistently and unflinchingly crowd-pounce upon me.  Not really cool?  I mean, the thread name-change...  people behaving differently in the thread vs. pm's with me...  It's just like, really?  I don't get it. 

To be fair, you have gotten a bit better compared to when you first joined some time ago.  I still think your overzealousness can get pretty exhausting to keep up with, and I'm torn between whether I find your personal critiquing of music and bands more amusing or annoying.  I guess it sort of depends on my mood.

But really, you have to ask yourself; if an entire community of level-headed individuals all sort of give you flack for more than a year, in individual cases, over various topics... are all of those people just being bullies / edgy / pouncing?  Or is there maybe a little fire with all that smoke?

Edited by Derek™

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Such hyperbole, man.  Relax.  Funny how members of a discussion board loathe actual discussion of the thread topic!  You guys are so bizarre to me. 

It's because you've completely highjacked a thread I started years ago into your personal complaints about every corner ding, scratch, missed Discogs email, shipping issue, & how literally 9 out of every 10 songs you listened to can be "improved upon".  I think Mr Grohl laid out the issues pretty clearly a page or two back.  And then you inject all your personal problems into half your posts.  That shit never happened here prior to you.  I'm sorry but that's what that Small Talk thread is for.  I come here to get away from that stuff.  You've sucked the joy out of this thread for me.

Edited by mrewest

On 3/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

People like this just feed off of the confrontation.  I guess that's the textbook definition of a troll?  haha I don't know.  I mean, I'm showing my hand here but I do it a little bit in the post-rock thread because I know I can get a rise out of Derek and all those guys :P  But for me, it's not about being an asshole and provoking hostile confrontation, it's more about playing a goofy wackball persona that makes people go "wtf is with this guy lol".  All in good fun.  Pure entertainment.  Ask Derek how great Malacoda sounds on vinyl.  It's the best thing ever. 

Here's my last post on this because I'm sick of complaining and now hypocritically hijacking this thread.  But I'm pretty sure this post is proof you know what you are doing here.  So you can quit playing dumb about getting flack.

You guys would do well to check this group out that I just discovered on the Post-Engineering facebook group page.  A trio from Moscow.  Really good stuff, fantastic production.  Some of the heaviest peaks I've heard, without become post-metal.  Crushing and ethereal.  Don't skip. 

"Cascadia" is my favorite track. 

https://antethic.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-shirt-society

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 4/7/2017 at 7:38 AM, mrewest said:

It's because you've completely highjacked a thread I started years ago into your personal complaints about every corner ding, scratch, missed Discogs email, shipping issue, & how literally 9 out of every 10 songs you listened to can be "improved upon".  I think Mr Grohl laid out the issues pretty clearly a page or two back.  And then you inject all your personal problems into half your posts.  That shit never happened here prior to you.  I'm sorry but that's what that Small Talk thread is for.  I come here to get away from that stuff.  You've sucked the joy out of this thread for me.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:00 AM, Derek™ said:

But really, you have to ask yourself; if an entire community of level-headed individuals all sort of give you flack for more than a year, in individual cases, over various topics... are all of those people just being bullies / edgy / pouncing?  Or is there maybe a little fire with all that smoke?

In the beginning Gumbo, you were over the top, but seemed sincere to me anyways in your passion for THE genre. Felt sorry for you had that string of "bad luck" (my worst was 3 in a row, but now on a 2 1/2 year + streak) with shipping incidents, scratched/damaged records, misrepresented/overpriced records from overseas, etc. etc So you got SA Kickstarter pack for less than 1/2 price, a free PSOTY shirt, Te' 3xLP (with pictures, priced for the jacket dings from Denovali, etc).  Offered you an Aussewelt /100 at LOW price since your copy was marred,  and then you played the "I'm poor" card. You should have said, No thanks, changed my mind, or "simply fine with my imperfect record" vs. I'm outta work, etc.

All the while, you're starting PO threads for pet bands $, spearheading group buys $, jet-setting across the pond to festivals!, etc. :huh: 

And continuing to wax eloquent

And recommend bands "new discoveries" that 90% of already know about

That's why I suggested you start a blog or go write for Pitchfork, instead of hijacking this thread, really.... this whole site. No ill to you dude, people have tried every which way to get through to you and you still don't get it.  I had forgotten Evan's quote of yours above re: "playing the troll"  BS.

Here's your latest shipping gripe/mishap for those who don't have the privilege of enjoyment. Literally 1 hr before I had mentioned you were on FB and didn't know you had posted this gem. And for the record it was  /100  that Dan on Cavity Records put up with no hoopla and they sat there FOR A YEAR. FB had started charging bands to post there, so they wouldn't advertise it until they needed money for a tour. Once they posted the link (I had emailed Armine and Matt W about doing it for the $6 FB fee months before), they sold out in hours. 

$60 from overseas -good for you - from your 'early post-rock collecting days.' OK, this blog belongs to you, meet the rest of you at the usual place until things get back to normal here.

zXIDJ1Z.png

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

There was once musings of a secret board with private registration.  I don't think I'm code-savvy enough to start up a vBulletin board, but the idea has always been very alluring.  I'd love to design some skins and UI for one, though.

Fuck it. Leave it me. I'll talk to you know how about it as well (the ring leader). I'm tired of VC and the Gumbos anyway. I'm rarely on here anymore, and just want a place to talk to the cool kids that isn't social media based. I'll start working on it, and consult you for design, man. Plus the current 'usual place' has  limit (determined by the platform it's on), plus not everyone has it. So I new vBulletin it is!

I'd bother to tag the gang here, but you all know who you are. 

44 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Fuck it. Leave it me. I'll talk to you know how about it as well (the ring leader). I'm tired of VC and the Gumbos anyway. I'm rarely on here anymore, and just want a place to talk to the cool kids that isn't social media based. I'll start working on it, and consult you for design, man. Plus the current 'usual place' has  limit (determined by the platform it's on), plus not everyone has it. So I new vBulletin it is!

I'd bother to tag the gang here, but you all know who you are. 

It's been a hot minute since I've looked into vB, but I recall thinking it isn't free (or relatively cheap) for one person.  You are more than welcome to spearhead it, but if it turns out to be a platform that many of us benefit from, it'd probably be feasible to have a small group of administrators - preferably in different time zones - who can split the annual costs equally.  And the beauty of private registration is that a lot less babysitting is required; the occasional topic merge or relocation, perhaps, but threads typically won't need to be locked or deleted as often when everyone is on the same page more often than not.

I know that Charlie had a lot of interest in this at one point, too.  We could start up the group text again as to avoid derailing this xanga thread, and hammer out the details.  It's been many years since I've fiddled with forum design but I'd love to see what vB is implementing these days.  I also see it having a lot of potential as far getting POs up before VC's always-lurking flipper-sharks can smell blood in the water.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

It's been a hot minute since I've looked into vB, but I recall thinking it isn't free (or relatively cheap) for one person.  You are more than welcome to spearhead it, but if it turns out to be a platform that many of us benefit from, it'd probably be feasible to have a small group of administrators - preferably in different time zones - who can split the annual costs equally.  And the beauty of private registration is that a lot less babysitting is required; the occasional topic merge or relocation, perhaps, but threads typically won't need to be locked or deleted as often when everyone is on the same page more often than not.

I know that Charlie had a lot of interest in this at one point, too.  We could start up the group text again as to avoid derailing this xanga thread, and hammer out the details.  It's been many years since I've fiddled with forum design but I'd love to see what vB is implementing these days.  I also see it having a lot of potential as far getting POs up before VC's always-lurking flipper-sharks can smell blood in the water.

I texted you. We can talk on there, or I can add you to the WhatsApp group about it again.

• jhulud locked this topic