Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

4 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

See, I had amended my posting habits though because you guys had legit grievances.  Random mentions of packages here, even though they were about post-rock albums, I get were unnecessary.  The last blow up was my answering Sasan's little question, and in that post I brought it back on-topic to reference Derek's crescendocore comment, and then Evan had his little fit about it, which to me seemed like an unmeasured response.  That's what I don't understand. 

I'm trying to understand. 

I can't say it any better than @batman. I'm frustrated enough with you (it's just built up over time) that I'm coming off as more mean than I've meant to.

17 minutes ago, batman said:

i think you've gotten pretty much the full range of kickback from people, from the angry trololol's to the well thought-out, level-headed and mature attempts to steer you in a direction that doesn't drive everyone crazy. i guess you can attempt to rationalize it all as bullying, but i can tell you this right now: it's not everyone else--it's you. i think don really nailed it in his post. i'm not trying to be a dick when i say this place just might not be the place for you. try a different community out and see if you get a better response. the intelligent choice would be to just move on.

Understood, and thank you for communicating clearly and without insult.  As stated before, my thing is that (at least to me) I had changed my post-habits, but then Matt makes that sarcastic response to Randy about shit that is super old...  and then everything goes downhill. 

Don's post confuses me, because in our conversation, I said exactly what he wished I had said "thanks no thanks, I'm good with my copy now I guess" and then the Rosetta thing has literally nothing to do with the board.  So, I honestly just don't get that.  And so what if i start PO threads for bands I like?  Isn't that the whole point of this place anyway?  What does that have to do with anything?  And god-forbid I try to help some people out by organizing a group-buy to save a few bucks on some records...   again, I ask... what is the relevance?  Other people here did the same thing. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I can't say it any better than @batman. I'm frustrated enough with you (it's just built up over time) that I'm coming off as more mean than I've meant to.

So help me understand then, it's the posts about the white russians then (in response to Sasan) that set this whole thing off?  I mean, forgive me for getting a little side-tracked dude.

Because the way I see it, the board was quiet... we get a little chit-chat going, and then everybody melts.  I'd stopped with comments about record packages...  i research every band I suggest...  I don't know what more to do.  God forbid I think it'd be cool if Fall of Efrafa had some post-rock leads over their riffs... 

I'm also not trying to sound like a dick either, but I'm having trouble understanding now because I had altered my posting habits greatly.  But that still doesn't seem to have made a difference.  And that's what I'd like to understand. 

EDIT:  Not sure how i can delete/merge these.  But if anybody has a place they know of where there are other vinyl-loving post-rock fans, I'll gladly be on my way. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So help me understand then, it's the posts about the white russians then (in response to Sasan) that set this whole thing off?  I mean, forgive me for getting a little side-tracked dude.

Because the way I see it, the board was quiet... we get a little chit-chat going, and then everybody melts.  I'd stopped with comments about record packages...  i research every band I suggest...  I don't know what more to do.  God forbid I think it'd be cool if Fall of Efrafa had some post-rock leads over their riffs... 

I'm also not trying to sound like a dick either, but I'm having trouble understanding now because I had altered my posting habits greatly.  But that still doesn't seem to have made a difference.  And that's what I'd like to understand. 

It's just been the buildup. I think any changes (I haven't noticed much of a change from what I've seen) were too little too late for the majority of us. I don't understand why you can't just accept that people take issue with you and your posts. Accept it and move on, man. I know you've got some shit going on in your life, we all do, but maybe this isn't the group for you. We don't want to talk about how this band should jam more, or this band should add more post elements. I don't even know what post you're talking about referring to white russians. I have you ignored on here and mostly only see your posts when they're quoted by someone else but that's enough for your posts to annoy me.

2 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Understood, and thank you for communicating clearly and without insult.  As stated before, my thing is that (at least to me) I had changed my post-habits, but then Matt makes that sarcastic response to Randy about shit that is super old...  and then everything goes downhill. 

Don's post confuses me, because in our conversation, I said exactly what he wished I had said "thanks no thanks, I'm good with my copy now I guess" and then the Rosetta thing has literally nothing to do with the board.  So, I honestly just don't get that. 

honestly, i think it's been a point of contention with people for so long that you're going to have a rough time coming back from that and it'll be a while before people let it go--if it's even possible. there's going to be sarcasm because lolinternetz, but i think if you didn't respond to it, it'd eventually stop. this is a shitty time for most of the regulars here, because for so long nobody has been able to take this thread seriously. and it just regresses into comments at your expense, warranted or not. i'm pretty tired of all the drama and i think people see removing the problem (i.e. you) as the end to it and the return to what made this thread/community fun to be a part of in the first place. not every song or album needs to be on the polar extremes of jizztastic or overly picked apart/criticized for not being something that it was never meant to be. 

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's just been the buildup. I think any changes (I haven't noticed much of a change from what I've seen) were too little too late for the majority of us. I don't understand why you can't just accept that people take issue with you and your posts. Accept it and move on, man. I know you've got some shit going on in your life, we all do, but maybe this isn't the group for you. We don't want to talk about how this band should jam more, or this band should add more post elements. I don't even know what post you're talking about referring to white russians. I have you ignored on here and mostly only see your posts when they're quoted by someone else but that's enough for your posts to annoy me.

I just want to understand, because I don't get your reactions.  They don't make sense to me.  I can't say that I've ever been a member of a message board, seen some regular poster and thought "Yeah this guy annoys me" or "Yeah this guy has a posting style that bothers me".  It's just not a thing I've ever experienced, that I can recall anyway...  aside from people who were BLATANTLY trying to be mean-spirited.  But that, I feel, is totally different.  Or someone posting too much.  If that happens... I just scroll past, and move on.  I can't say that I've ever called someone out on a board for their posting habits.  I just....  i don't think about it.  That stuff just doesn't register for me.  If it bores me or doesn't pertain to me or my interests, I just scroll past and it's done.  I guess I assumed that was a normal/common reaction? 

9 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I just want to understand, because I don't get your reactions.  They don't make sense to me.  I can't say that I've ever been a member of a message board, seen some regular poster and thought "Yeah this guy annoys me" or "Yeah this guy has a posting style that bothers me".  It's just not a thing I've ever experienced, that I can recall anyway...  aside from people who were BLATANTLY trying to be mean-spirited.  But that, I feel, is totally different.  Or someone posting too much.  If that happens... I just scroll past, and move on.  I can't say that I've ever called someone out on a board for their posting habits.  I just....  i don't think about it.  That stuff just doesn't register for me.  If it bores me or doesn't pertain to me or my interests, I just scroll past and it's done.  I guess I assumed that was a normal/common reaction? 

I don't think I've ever met a person who has more trouble understanding that other people's minds work differently than theirs does than you do.

It's honestly stuff like this that annoys people. Someone says something and you need this long explanation of why. Why are people annoyed with the things you post? Because they find you annoying. It's as simple as that. Your personality doesn't gel with most of ours. That's the extent of it, man.

Why won't ISIS play some shows? Because they don't fucking want to.  It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. Accept things at face value once in a while.

If your posts just bored me I'd scroll past them, I do it all the time with other posters, but you seem to take over any conversation and twist it into something else entirely, and for no good reason. Hell, you were essentially talking to yourself in here for a little while after it was made clear that no one wanted to interact with you.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

4 minutes ago, batman said:

honestly, i think it's been a point of contention with people for so long that you're going to have a rough time coming back from that and it'll be a while before people let it go--if it's even possible. there's going to be sarcasm because lolinternetz, but i think if you didn't respond to it, it'd eventually stop. this is a shitty time for most of the regulars here, because for so long nobody has been able to take this thread seriously. and it just regresses into comments at your expense, warranted or not. i'm pretty tired of all the drama and i think people see removing the problem (i.e. you) as the end to it and the return to what made this thread/community fun to be a part of in the first place. not every song or album needs to be on the polar extremes of jizztastic or overly picked apart/criticized for not being something that it was never meant to be. 

I mean, the Fall of Efrafa comment was just a toss-out "hey I think this would be neat".   Really not much more to it than that.  I have to believe that you yourself have things you thought would be cool if bands you like tried?  Like...  maybe you think it would be cool if This Will Destroy You used more strings.  Or... if Year of No Light tried some stuff with more clean guitar. 

I try my best not to respond to the nonsense, but when everybody piles on, it becomes hard to ignore, especially when people start hurling insults.  That's what gets me, because in my life, I am never unkind to anybody.  That's such a shitty thing to do, in my mind, even on the internet.  I hate it.  I feel awful about doing it.  Because I think "How would I feel if this was said to me?"  Usually my play is to spin it positively, like when I jokingly said to Matt "awww you do listen" rather than being "You know what, fuck you guy.  That was all old shit that I don't do anymore, so go fuck yourself."  Because really, is that going to be constructive?  No.  It's stupid. 

Regardless, I'm all for trying again.  I just want to talk about post-rock with people who also want to talk about post-rock.  But maybe my sensibilities and world-view do not jive with the majority of the people here.  Because to me, getting upset or annoyed by an innocuous comment like "Hey I think it'd be cool if Fall of Efrafa had some post-rock leads" is kind of silly.  I just don't get that.  I feel like nothing anybody has ever said here has actually frustrated me, despite there being many different opinions than ones I hold.  I have a hard time imagining myself getting upset by anything anybody posts.  It's just not how I operate. 

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I don't think I've ever met a person who has more trouble understanding that other people's minds work differently than theirs does than you do.

It's honestly stuff like this that annoys people. Someone says something and you need this long explanation of why. Why are people annoyed with the things you post? Because they find you annoying. It's as simple as that. Your personality doesn't gel with most of ours. That's the extent of it, man.

Why won't ISIS play some shows? Because they don't fucking want to.  It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. Accept things at face value once in a while.

If your posts just bored me I'd scroll past them, I do it all the time with other posters, but you seem to take over any conversation and twist it into something else entirely, and for no good reason. Hell, you were essentially talking to yourself in here for a little while after it was made clear that no one wanted to interact with you.

Yeah I donno man, I just really want to know how people make the conclusions or whatever they do, because I feel like an outsider all the time and that I'm always misunderstood.  So, trying to understand other people's minds helps me to interact better and "fit in" more I suppose.  I want to understand people, because I feel like I don't.  And I don't like that.  I feel like if you explain yourself more, then I'll be able to understand it and say "ah okay."  But I suppose, those explanations could become an endless loop, where it just cycles around and around.  Like that game kids play:  "....why".  Although I'm not doing it to be annoying, I'm doing it because I'm genuinely curious, and hopeful to understand. 

And the face-value thing, part of me feels like I'm just giving up and becoming defeated if I don't unearth the reasons why I guess.  That frustrates me, because I feel like there's information left on the table.  But it would seem that's not how normal people operate. 

Thank you for explaining and not yelling at me. 

12 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean, the Fall of Efrafa comment was just a toss-out "hey I think this would be neat".   Really not much more to it than that.  I have to believe that you yourself have things you thought would be cool if bands you like tried?  Like...  maybe you think it would be cool if This Will Destroy You used more strings.  Or... if Year of No Light tried some stuff with more clean guitar. 

I try my best not to respond to the nonsense, but when everybody piles on, it becomes hard to ignore, especially when people start hurling insults.  That's what gets me, because in my life, I am never unkind to anybody.  That's such a shitty thing to do, in my mind, even on the internet.  I hate it.  I feel awful about doing it.  Because I think "How would I feel if this was said to me?"  Usually my play is to spin it positively, like when I jokingly said to Matt "awww you do listen" rather than being "You know what, fuck you guy.  That was all old shit that I don't do anymore, so go fuck yourself."  Because really, is that going to be constructive?  No.  It's stupid. 

Regardless, I'm all for trying again.  I just want to talk about post-rock with people who also want to talk about post-rock.  But maybe my sensibilities and world-view do not jive with the majority of the people here.  Because to me, getting upset or annoyed by an innocuous comment like "Hey I think it'd be cool if Fall of Efrafa had some post-rock leads" is kind of silly.  I just don't get that.  I feel like nothing anybody has ever said here has actually frustrated me, despite there being many different opinions than ones I hold.  I have a hard time imagining myself getting upset by anything anybody posts.  It's just not how I operate. 

I'm done having this conversation with you, because we (as a whole) have had it a number of times. We all have differing opinions and that's easy enough to understand. You try to force yours down peoples' throats, though. Granted you do it in a very "nice" way, but that's essentially what you do. I deal with grieving people all day every day, so I'm always giving in and being nice, so when someone tries to shove their agenda down my throat outside of work, even in an ostensibly "nice" way, I don't take kindly to it.

We get it. You feel the way you feel about certain things. Usually it differs from what a lot of people here think, but you can't accept it at that, and always try to push it to why do you feel that way? I feel that way because I fucking do, and I get frustrated with you because I have to agree with stupid shit all day long because at work I'm dealing with death, and that makes other people uncomfortable. People have different ideas from you, and they don't like having you push, and push, and fucking push, ok? Do you get it now? You don't let shit go. It's like this conversation. Someone tells me "I don't like you and this is why," and I say, cool I don't have to deal with you anymore. You just keep droning on and on. Fucking drop it. YOU'RE THE ONE ACTUALLY BEING A DICK.

edit: In fact, @jhulud, what's a motherfucker gotta do or say to get a thread lock up in this bitch? I'll go on a wrestling .gif posting spree and take the warning point for the team at this point.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Gumbo, I think the part you're still missing is that people use this thread for escapism and entertainment. Not drama. Since you've come here and taken over, it's been non-stop drama. You're like Marla Singer to our Fight Club. I don't know how much more "why" you could possibly need. You even dropped character once and admitted to pestering to elicit a response. It's not cool, man. People just wanna chill and talk about good music. 

Edited by batman

9 minutes ago, batman said:

Gumbo, I think the part you're still missing is that people use this thread for escapism and entertainment. Not drama. Since you've come here and taken over, it's been non-stop drama. You're like Marla Sanger to our Fight Club. I don't know how much more "why" you could possibly need. You even dropped character once and admitted to pestering to elicit a response. It's not cool, man. People just wanna chill and talk about good music. 

Nah, it wasn't pestering, that was me jokingly saying things like "It looks like Caspian is taking a page from jambands and mixing up setlists every night XD" in reference of old things.  Trying to joke around a little.  That's what I was referring to.  Other people saw it differently, which I suppose is fair.  I will do my best to keep from injecting any drama; I didn't think that's what I was doing, but obviously others see it differently.  So I will work on that. 

But anyway, you're right... enough about all that.  Can we talk about how great that End of the Ocean video is?  Their music is so simple, but so powerful. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

3 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Nah, it wasn't pestering, that was me jokingly saying things like "It looks like Caspian is taking a page from jambands and mixing up setlists every night XD" in reference of old things.  Trying to joke around a little.  That's what I was referring to.  Other people saw it differently, which I suppose is fair. 

But anyway, you're right... enough about all that.  Can we talk about how great that End of the Ocean video is?  Their music is so simple, but so powerful. 

No. You can talk about it with yourself because no one wants to talk to you. It's a real bummer that you have to cause conflict like this to get anyone to even pay attention to you anymore. I actually feel really bad for you in all honesty. I think part of what sets me off with you is the weird combination of dislike and pity I feel for you. Best of luck, Greg.

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Pitiful.

I just honestly don't know what you are referring to by conflict, because I'm not trying to cause any conflict, I just want to talk, and to me that's what we're doing.  If you are meaning the "Trolling" post thing, again, that was meant to refer to just a handful of what were (to me) obviously-sarcastic comments.  I don't know what else to tell you man.  But maybe we should call it a night.  I hope you guys have a good day tomorrow. 

Thank you for the courtesy and clarifications, @batman

I'm very sorry to have caused you all frustration and anger, because I never want to make anybody feel anything besides good feelings. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You give me shit for "off-topic" things, yet all that you're talking about now in this thread is this new website.  Isn't that a little hypocritical man?

On-topic:  Metalsucks premiered a track by a band called Barrows, who was new to me.  Pretty good stuff, I liked it.  Kinda has a motorik feel for the first half, which was enjoyable.  http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/04/25/exclusive-track-premiere-barrows-entrada/

i'm sorry man, you just don't get it. Like I don't get Quantum Physics. Never will. No more wasted keystrokes. But I came here to enlighten you further on old news...

Barrows: Imprecari Island >> Red Giant

You should lookup their 12 minute song Pirates from Imprecari Island on youtube.  Right up your alley. They must like 15 years old playing in a basement. You'll wet yourself.

giphy_1.gif

That's two people now requesting to have the thread locked?

I read through at least the last five to six pages to get caught up on what's been going on...seems of course the same shit that went down on some of the ISIS threads but on a much larger scale now.

I will gladly lock the thread. And Gumbo will be to blame of course as it's been evident thus far as the source of the animosity and arguing around here.

Y'all tell me.

To everyone: 

I'm very sorry to have contributed to the loss of enjoyment of this thread for you.  I thought I had found a place where I could be myself and enjoy vinyl and post-rock with other people, but having those things in common does not necessitate that people will jive and get along.  I think I understand now what Randy and Batman were talking about last night with regards to conflict and drama, because now there's additional pages of bullshit that shouldn't be here, and I feel lots of regret about it.  I wish that conversation could have happened elsewhere, and for all of that to be removed.

I truly feel bad and embarrassed now.  I never want to be the cause of anger, frustration, or any other negative emotions in anybody, even in people who I think are mean-spirited.  So, I'm very sorry.  It would be a shame for this thread to die, because new people coming to the site should have a place where they can talk about post-rock/post-metal/etc.  I never was trying to do anything but be myself, and it's a very not-nice feeling knowing that other people have been personally affected in a real-life negative way.  I did alter my posting habits, given legitimate gripes, but that doesn't seem to have been enough, because people are still bringing up old things, and perhaps I didn't take it seriously enough because I thought the reactions were unmeasured and incongruous, given that my motives were never anything other than love and joy for the music and simply wanting to joke/bond/discuss deeply with other people.  It didn't connect, for me.  But maybe it doesn't have to.

So, understand that I truly feel bad about this.  It's not a fun place to be.  Again, I'm very sorry.  Consider this my final message on the matter. 

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

Barrows: Imprecari Island >> Red Giant

You should lookup their 12 minute song Pirates from Imprecari Island on youtube.  Right up your alley. They must like 15 years old playing in a basement. You'll wet yourself.

This is fun, I like it.  Thank you for the recommendation.  They're actually coming to Albany and playing with a band from here called Yoma, who are post-metal.  Likely the only post-rock show that will happen in the city the entire year; will be interesting to see what kind of turn-out that will bring, because it often feels like I constitute 20% of the post-rock fans in this area. 

EDIT:  These guys are fantastic, listening to "Wrath of the Sea" now.  I like that they're intense and heavy.  I was actually just thinking the other day about how I wish I knew more "Fast" post-rock bands, inspired by discovering the great "Mourning" album by Wander.  Thank you, although this adds yet another band to the stuff-i-want-but-can't-afford-now list.  Someday...

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

giphy_1.gif

I read through at least the last five to six pages to get caught up on what's been going on...seems of course the same shit that went down on some of the ISIS threads but on a much larger scale now.

I will gladly lock the thread. And Gumbo will be to blame of course as it's been evident thus far as the source of the animosity and arguing around here.

Y'all tell me.

SHUT IT DOWN!

jumpingshark.gif

RIP POST VC:  2013-2017

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

So, because two people ask to close a thread you'd consider in doing so?

What's the problem of ignoring either certain people or threads when they/it annoy you?

I'd say let this thread live and all fuckheads calm the fuck down...it's just a fuckin' thread!

• jhulud locked this topic