Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

15 minutes ago, Freki said:

Talking about ordering a $25 cd and ruminating again about a new TT in the same post. Peak Gumbo has been reached.

Haha.... I emailed the band a good while ago and they only just got back to me today, so hence the timing.  I feel like I just don't know what to get though, TT-wise.  They all look great, and so similar.  The Music Hall MMF 2.1, the Rega Planar, the Project Debut, The Rega RP1... they look the same to me. 

EDIT:  Actually!  I forgot, I'm on Spring Break this week.  Matt mentioned a great store up in the Adirondaks about an hour away from me...  I'm making a trip up there on Friday.  So, by the end of the week, I will have a new system.  I just got a new credit card with 15 months of no interest....  it's perfect timing!  New amp, new turntable.  Lets do this. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haha.... I emailed the band a good while ago and they only just got back to me today, so hence the timing.  I feel like I just don't know what to get though, TT-wise.  They all look great, and so similar.  The Music Hall MMF 2.1, the Rega Planar, the Project Debut, The Rega RP1... they look the same to me. 

If funds is an issue, the RP-1 with the upgrade pack is a solid choice.

Really, any of those are an improvement on your current turntable.

29 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

EDIT:  Actually!  I forgot, I'm on Spring Break this week.  Matt mentioned a great store up in the Adirondaks about an hour away from me...  I'm making a trip up there on Friday.  So, by the end of the week, I will have a new system.  I just got a new credit card with 15 months of no interest....  it's perfect timing!  New amp, new turntable.  Lets do this. 

Unsolicited advice time. If you can't afford to pay cash for something...don't buy it with a credit card unless it's an emergency situation.

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Unsolicited advice time. If you can't afford to pay cash for something...don't buy it with a credit card unless it's an emergency situation.

I have the cash.... I have a sizeable chunk set aside in a credit union that I can draw from if i need to, but I just like the idea of being able to throw $100 a month for a few months at a time and have it be paid off rather than dropping it all at once, because that will help bolster my credit.  But you have a valid point of not spending beyond your means.

51 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

If funds is an issue, the RP-1 with the upgrade pack is a solid choice.

Really, any of those are an improvement on your current turntable.

Yeah...  they must all be literally the same anyway, because they look identical to me.  Plus, I know that there's only a couple manufacturers that make these for the companies anyway, so it's more or less the actual same product you'd be getting from either of them. 

I'm going to bring some records with me on Friday when I drive up there, so hopefully they'll have something I can work with!

4 minutes ago, Freki said:

They are not literally the same, but they will have similar spec's because of a shared price point.

Ah indeed, but for all intents and purposes there will be no noticeable variations between either.  That Debut III for under $200 on Ebay from Brooklyn is looking very enticing though. 

8 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have the cash.... I have a sizeable chunk set aside in a credit union that I can draw from if i need to, but I just like the idea of being able to throw $100 a month for a few months at a time and have it be paid off rather than dropping it all at once, because that will help bolster my credit.  But you have a valid point of not spending beyond your means.

Ok, good! I wouldn't want something weird to happen and have you fall into debt over a TT :) 

14 hours ago, batman said:

Lol at cheaping out on a TT+amp upgrade. If you're not spending $500 at the absolute very least, what's the point? You might as well not even listen to music on vinyl. 

That's about what I'm looking to do...  I did a bunch of research yesterday and I'm not going with a Debut III.  Too many potential issues, what with the motor housing and the aluminum tonearm.  The Carbon Debut is enticing, and the Rega RP-1 with the performance pack has been looking good too.  But like I said before, I'm going to bring a couple records with me on Friday and do some test-runs.  I'm thinking I'll be bringing my clear/blob YATC because that's got lots of dynamic range and already sounds great to me on my system, and then maybe a copy of "Binary Opposition" because Presence has that long quiet intro... I feel like that would be a great judge of the soundstage.  As far as amps go, I'm fucking clueless though.  I found a mid/low priced Sony STR-DH740 which I can get used for $150 or so from Amazon, which seems like a very good deal.  The Marantz NR1403 is also appealing though, and the Yamaha R-S202 is in my price-range but this looks very minimalistic and doesn't have actual speaker connectors.  Hmmm.

I find it fascinating how captivated you guys are by my gear though haha. 

18 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

That's about what I'm looking to do...  I did a bunch of research yesterday and I'm not going with a Debut III.  Too many potential issues, what with the motor housing and the aluminum tonearm.  The Carbon Debut is enticing, and the Rega RP-1 with the performance pack has been looking good too.  But like I said before, I'm going to bring a couple records with me on Friday and do some test-runs.  I'm thinking I'll be bringing my clear/blob YATC because that's got lots of dynamic range and already sounds great to me on my system, and then maybe a copy of "Binary Opposition" because Presence has that long quiet intro... I feel like that would be a great judge of the soundstage.  As far as amps go, I'm fucking clueless though.  I found a mid/low priced Sony STR-DH740 which I can get used for $150 or so from Amazon, which seems like a very good deal.  The Marantz NR1403 is also appealing though, and the Yamaha R-S202 is in my price-range but this looks very minimalistic and doesn't have actual speaker connectors.  Hmmm.

I find it fascinating how captivated you guys are by my gear though haha. 

Honestly, if you're going Rega, the performance pack isn't great for the price. You're better off just going with the Planar 2. Had a long convo at my local shop--dude has been recommending and selling Rega's for 20 years. The Planar 1 is a good entry level TT, but it is not worth upgrading. 

Edited by batman

42 minutes ago, batman said:

Honestly, if you're going Rega, the performance pack isn't great for the price. You're better off just going with the Planar 2. Had a long convo at my local shop--dude has been recommending and selling Rega's for 20 years. The Planar 1 is a good entry level TT, but it is not worth upgrading. 

Wouldn't the Planar 2 basically be the same as the Carbon Esprit? 

Not to get off topic or be a wet blanket, but isn't there an entire sub-board dedicated for the last dozen posts or so?

That being said, did anyone listen to that new Sleepmakeswaves yet?  I posted in the actual thread for it a few weeks ago – and it still has an ironclad grasp on my "safest post-rock release of 2017" award (so far) – but I'm just perplexed on the amount of overwhelmingly positive ("5/5!  Instant classic!  Flawless album!") reviews that it's receiving.  It's not bad it's just remarkably formulaic.  To my ears, anyway.  Curious to hear what anyone else thinks.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Not to get off topic or be a wet blanket, but isn't there an entire sub-board dedicated for the last dozen posts or so?

That being said, did anyone listen to that new Sleepmakeswaves yet?  I posted in the actual thread for it a few weeks ago – and it still has an ironclad grasp on my "safest post-rock release of 2017" award (so far) – but I'm just perplexed on the amount of overwhelmingly positive ("5/5!  Instant classic!  Flawless album!") reviews that it's receiving.  It's not bad it's just remarkably formulaic.  To my ears, anyway.  Curious to hear what anyone else thinks.

Go with the flow, man.  Rigidity will give you the gout. 

Did the whole album drop yet?  The few tracks I've heard haven't really excited me at all, which is a shame.  I LOVE their older stuff.  I gotta give them more listens though before I judge. 

Honestly though, my listening time lately has been spent on Ravena's Laocoon album.  I cannot stop going back to that.  It is so incredible. 

6 hours ago, Freki said:

What do you mean by "actual"? They're right there in the middle of the back of the unit. Don't buy that crap though.

Actual as in like, plugs haha.  Not the wire-insertion deal. 

I think it officially streams tomorrow, but it leaked a few weeks back and I figured it'd be worth a listen or two.  I've long-since accepted they won't release anything that tops In Today Already Walks Tomorrow, but their last album wasn't too shabby.  I just wish they'd write music that didn't eat right out of the hand of post-rock tropes.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I think it officially streams tomorrow, but it leaked a few weeks back and I figured it'd be worth a listen or two.  I've long-since accepted they won't release anything that tops In Today Already Walks Tomorrow, but their last album wasn't too shabby.  I just wish they'd write music that didn't eat right out of the hand of post-rock tropes.

Yeah I found it on Youtube.  I go back and forth with whether I like that EP or "...and so we destroyed everything" better.  They're both so great.  You can tell they spent a lot of time listening to the Contortionist on this new album haha.  So much more mathy and proggy. 

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I've still only listened to the 2 songs releases thus far & I enjoy them but definitely have that "That's it?" thought in the back of my head.  Really confused why they said on multiple occasions "This is going to be our heaviest/darkest album yet".  So far, not the case at all.

Also, how do you guys not think Cartography is their best album? Haha.  Their older albums feel like build ups to LoC where they finally hit their stride.  I always thought songs from And So We Destroyed were good but awkwardly went on for way too long.

Pre-orders for Russian Circles Live at dunk!fest 2016 [2xLP] are now available through A Thousand Arms (US) and the dunk!store (EU).  Artwork by Error! Design with two vinyl variants available (Bronze Splatter in Bone and Color in Color Orange in Bone).

http://www.athousandarms.com/dunkmerch/russian-circles-live-at-dunkfest-2016-2xlp

Russian-Circles-Digital-Cover.jpeg?forma

28 minutes ago, athousandarms said:

Pre-orders for Russian Circles Live at dunk!fest 2016 [2xLP] are now available through A Thousand Arms (US) and the dunk!store (EU).  Artwork by Error! Design with two vinyl variants available (Bronze Splatter in Bone and Color in Color Orange in Bone).

http://www.athousandarms.com/dunkmerch/russian-circles-live-at-dunkfest-2016-2xlp

Russian-Circles-Digital-Cover.jpeg?forma

Came here to post this!  This is awesome!  Definitely gonna pick this up.

Sleepmakeswaves is streaming here http://themusic.com.au/music/streams/2017/03/23/album-premiere-sleepmakeswaves-made-of-breath-only/

I'm about 60/40 on it first time through haha.  Definitely a lot I like here albeit "safe" at times.  But yeah there is some filler.  That closer was weak after my first listen, but the handful of tracks preceding it were really good.  Edge of Everything is the glue holding it together imo.  Perfect middle of the album beast.  And I really am starting to like Midnight Sun.  Still don't think it will touch LoC but after a few listens it'll probably turn into 80/20.  And a proper vinyl listen will probably help, too.

• jhulud locked this topic