Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

On 3/23/2017 at 7:46 AM, mrewest said:

Also, how do you guys not think Cartography is their best album? Haha.  Their older albums feel like build ups to LoC where they finally hit their stride.  I always thought songs from And So We Destroyed were good but awkwardly went on for way too long.

Cartography is certainly great but man.... that intro to "To You They Are Birds...." is like prototypical headbanging post-rock awesome for me.  It's heavy, it's uplifting, it's energetic...  it's got it all.  That might be my favorite segment of their music haha. 

On 3/22/2017 at 9:54 PM, Derek™ said:

I've long-since accepted they won't release anything that tops In Today Already Walks Tomorrow, but their last album wasn't too shabby.  I just wish they'd write music that didn't eat right out of the hand of post-rock tropes.

Pretty much my view, also. Their first EP is just a couple cuts above everything else for me.

Not to suggest your tastes in post-rock are safe or derivative, or anything like that.  But aside from the Cloudkicker / post-metal vibes I figured you'd dig, I've noticed that you and I seem to swing on complete opposite sides of a lot of releases.  (Barring Russian Circles, DMST, and some others.)  I find it really amusing, but at the end of the day I'm glad you're getting a lot more out of the album than I'm able to.

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Not to suggest your tastes in post-rock are safe or derivative, or anything like that.  But aside from the Cloudkicker / post-metal vibes I figured you'd dig, I've noticed that you and I seem to swing on complete opposite sides of a lot of releases.  (Barring Russian Circles, DMST, and some others.)  I find it really amusing, but at the end of the day I'm glad you're getting a lot more out of the album than I'm able to.

Haha I've noticed this as well.  I feel like that with a lot of you guys.  We mesh on certain albums but I seem to dig a lot of stuff you guys don't & vice versa.  Keeps it interesting!  

16 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Haha I've noticed this as well.  I feel like that with a lot of you guys.  We mesh on certain albums but I seem to dig a lot of stuff you guys don't & vice versa.  Keeps it interesting!  

I 100% prefer that over the idea of everyone beating off over the same exact records and bands, absolutely.  I'm still trying to establish certain overlaps with members, but for the most part I think I've figured out who I mostly resonate with for respective branches of the genre – my ambient drone bros, vs. who has opinion of heavier post-metal that I trust, who yawns with me when faced with specific crescendo-core, etc.  I admire the variety.

You guys ever have an album you come back to after a long time and feel like "Woah, hey... this is actually really good!"?  This happened to me with "Another Language" last night and today haha.  Tom from Hobbledehoy was super cool and threw in a CD copy with my order of all those Fourteen Nights at Sea vinyl last year....  I spun it once or twice and was like "eww... no, not for me."

But I put it in my car last night and found myself enjoying a lot of it.  It's way different.  I'm not super into the overly-effected drums on some of the tracks, but... I enjoy the album.  New Topia is great, and so is War Prayer.  Didn't expect myself to enjoy this as much as I was! 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You guys ever have an album you come back to after a long time and feel like "Woah, hey... this is actually really good!"?  This happened to me with "Another Language" last night and today haha.  Tom from Hobbledehoy was super cool and threw in a CD copy with my order of all those Fourteen Nights at Sea vinyl last year....  I spun it once or twice and was like "eww... no, not for me."

But I put it in my car last night and found myself enjoying a lot of it.  It's way different.  I'm not super into the overly-effected drums on some of the tracks, but... I enjoy the album.  New Topia is great, and so is War Prayer.  Didn't expect myself to enjoy this as much as I was! 

It's a good feeling to revisit albums, artists, or even genres way down the road and discover that you have a newfound appreciation for them.  As I've gotten older and covered more genres while establishing my tastes, I don't encounter it all that much... but  it still happens now and then.  Another Language is dope, though, and has been out of the gates.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It's a good feeling to revisit albums, artists, or even genres way down the road and discover that you have a newfound appreciation for them.  As I've gotten older and covered more genres while establishing my tastes, I don't encounter it all that much... but  it still happens now and then.  Another Language is dope, though, and has been out of the gates.

I think my love for Young Mountain clouded my appreciation for it...  and those tweaked out drums all over the album haha.  Not my usual wheelhouse. 

In other news, Appalaches released a new album the other day that is doing many neat things inside my head right now.  This is some cool stuff.  Very, very satisfying. 

https://appalachesmtl.bandcamp.com/

3 hours ago, Freki said:

First acts announced for dunk!USA:

Pelican

Pray For Sound

Coastlands

Set and Setting

(All US bands. Wonder if new visa restrictions are going to screw the Euro's.)

I haven't really listened to their recorded stuff, but I really enjoyed Coastlands when I saw them open for ITTCT.

Really surprised to see that no one had posted this in here yet (also possible I'm just bad at searching - but this might be the case anyway):

https://heronband.bandcamp.com/

Arctic Drones posted a glowing review of it yesterday so I had to take a listed. I'd say it just about lives up to the praise. Very big Giants feel to it, so if that's your thing, definitely click the link and check it out for yourself.

On 3/28/2017 at 4:14 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I haven't really listened to their recorded stuff, but I really enjoyed Coastlands when I saw them open for ITTCT.

It's enjoyable.  They're more on the low-key side of things, and aren't nearly as dense as some other bands, but its fine music.  Not breaking any boundaries, but if you like delay pedals and reverb and slow-burn post-rock, you'll be good.  I need to check their older material out though, because I just know the most recent one.

Just now, omik11303 said:

Really surprised to see that no one had posted this in here yet (also possible I'm just bad at searching - but this might be the case anyway):

https://heronband.bandcamp.com/

Arctic Drones posted a glowing review of it yesterday so I had to take a listed. I'd say it just about lives up to the praise. Very big Giants feel to it, so if that's your thing, definitely click the link and check it out for yourself.

Prettttttttttty sure I posted them a few pages back.  I know i had it typed out, I may have forgot to hit submit though haha.  They're very good.  The ending of the first track does sound a lot like the ending to "Burial On The Presidio Bank" to me though ;) 

I want to pick up the CD, because they've very good.  Spot-on with the Giants vibe.  Not really a weak link on the album. 

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It's enjoyable.  They're more on the low-key side of things, and aren't nearly as dense as some other bands, but its fine music.  Not breaking any boundaries, but if you like delay pedals and reverb and slow-burn post-rock, you'll be good.  I need to check their older material out though, because I just know the most recent one.

Prettttttttttty sure I posted them a few pages back.  I know i had it typed out, I may have forgot to hit submit though haha.  They're very good.  The ending of the first track does sound a lot like the ending to "Burial On The Presidio Bank" to me though ;) 

I want to pick up the CD, because they've very good.  Spot-on with the Giants vibe.  Not really a weak link on the album. 

I mean...I know what they sound like since I've seen them live, and I'm pretty sure they're from Portland (where I live) :)

I keep holding off on buying their records because I want to go see them again and not pay shipping.

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also......  in case anybody needs it:  Rosetta "The Anaesthete" on black/white swirl for only 9euros.  http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/456206010?utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_medium=email&format=Vinyl&text=Rosetta-The-Anaesthete&ev=wh_new&utm_source=relationship

Such a good record!

BTW, if anyone is looking for Rosetta's ADOM on black vinyl, feel free to contact me

lol.....  just got my package from The End of the Ocean.  Someone must have been drunk when they printed their stuff....  I got the shirt with the tied-up girl on the front, and the print is skewed at like a 20 degree angle up towards the left armpit haha,  and the same with the stamping on "In Excelsis" although that's not nearly as off, that's more like a 5 or 6 degree incline. 

Kinda funny.  Should be interesting to see people's faces when I wear it. 

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Gumbo72203

So...I don't usually contribute bands in here because you dudes are all so much more versed in the post-whatever stuff than I am. I'm really enjoying this right now though. Apologies if they've already been mentioned before/are too pedestrian ;)

https://paleons.bandcamp.com/album/hyperborean

edit: vinyl coming soon apparently if anyone digs it.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

So...I don't usually contribute bands in here because you dudes are all so much more versed in the post-whatever stuff than I am. I'm really enjoying this right now though. Apologies if they've already been mentioned before/are too pedestrian ;)

https://paleons.bandcamp.com/album/hyperborean

edit: vinyl coming soon apparently if anyone digs it.

Pretty solid stuff. Having a good time listening to this. Thanks!

• jhulud locked this topic