Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Easy does it now, Gumbo haha.  We've already had to clean up that derailment a couple times.  Don't think we have the resources for a third!  ;)

It's just too much fun watching Matt flip over his coffee table, figuratively-speaking.

I'm just psyched that in 2 months, right before I turn 30, I will get to see Caspian and Maybeshewill within a week of each other!!!

I have to admit, I'm impressed. That's a super clean looking design. If this thing takes off, no doubt this thread will reach new levels of (deserved) sophistication. Maybe different colors for post-rock, post-metal, modern classical, ambient, etc.? A little tag line for which user suggested it? Just throwing out ideas. Maybe we can finally get going on that first page to-do list.

thanks. ive got big plans for dolling up how incredible we can make this and with the knowledge here, it can only get better. ive taken some of your suggestions and was going to post another one but got too wrapped up at work. im going to add a more clear logo on whether its available in digital/cd or vinyl, and maybe some other small things like Name Your Price to entice the reader to give it a shot for a much smaller donation than a set cost the artist has arranged. my goal, much like this thread is to get as many bands of this genre and sub genre exposed whether i like them or not. someone has to like them...

i dont know if i should refrain from a FFO format because i dont like comparing PR godfather bands to new ones based solely that it's instrumental.

On the topic of the front page to-do list (and an implicit want to give Charlie something to work with) I'm all for beginning work on what I feel will generate some nice discussion and post-rock goodness: The Guide.

I feel that 15 'classic' albums is a reasonable goal to set. It's not ten - a number which seems to constrain every list it's placed upon - and it's not twenty, which, just on the surface, seems too many.

I'll have to take some time to formulate my own picks, but, should everybody be on board, how do we want to generate the list? Everybody suggest, say, twenty albums, and then we take which ones were mentioned most, narrow it down to a general top-25 and pare it down from there? I'll do most of the grunt work if need be, but I think this has sat idle for too long and it'd be nice to put something classy on the front page of this thread.

On the topic of the front page to-do list (and an implicit want to give Charlie something to work with) I'm all for beginning work on what I feel will generate some nice discussion and post-rock goodness: The Guide.

I feel that 15 'classic' albums is a reasonable goal to set. It's not ten - a number which seems to constrain every list it's placed upon - and it's not twenty, which, just on the surface, seems too many.

I'll have to take some time to formulate my own picks, but, should everybody be on board, how do we want to generate the list? Everybody suggest, say, twenty albums, and then we take which ones were mentioned most, narrow it down to a general top-25 and pare it down from there? I'll do most of the grunt work if need be, but I think this has sat idle for too long and it'd be nice to put something classy on the front page of this thread.

Let's do it. Whatever gets put in place I can copy & paste into the OP. I feel like my 15 albums won't entirely mesh with most others though because I'm not as well versed in the "classics" such as EITS.

We can make 'The Guide' an interactive PDF with links and stuff...we can update as needed and can be printable...also for the board, a stripped down clean front page enticer (new word). A 'menu' of sorts, no different than at a restaurant. I guess both rely on the market for prices too, but no need to nerd out. the classic album list is a good idea. take the averages (averages of most mentioned) from that to determine an overall top 15? invite all our PR friends and peers so we can get a huge selection. we can generate an online poll for that or just do it the old school way. oddly enough i suck at excel and word.

Let's do it. Whatever gets put in place I can copy & paste into the OP. I feel like my 15 albums won't entirely mesh with most others though because I'm not as well versed in the "classics" such as EITS.

I wouldnt worry a bit on this. your tops are obviously going to be your taste and as long as the PR structure is there, anything goes. EITS was the gateway to PR for most as it was for me, and i cant stand to listen to them to this day. do they have a top 15 for me still? yes. roots, nostalgia or whatever else it is, it counts.

Also, Dad, text me the process. Digging the clean, minimalistic style.

the banner building process? i decided to do these in illustrator to ensure the most crisp outcome. id be glad to.

Alright, awesome! I'll put a running list here of who's going to contribute to the Guide, and over the next few days, I'll add more names to the list as people show their interest. In the meantime, everyone can brainstorm their picks and post them intermittently. I say we just do this the old-fashioned way in a forum post like Matt did with his Top 10 Albums of All Time. That way in the end you all can double check my excel math.

Collaborators:
1. omik11303
2. abovetheearth
3. mrewest
4. edgedestroys
5. The Butcha
6. drds89
7. Dave Grohl

8. Gumbo72203

9. pemulis

10. justin_cole12

11. wisdom81

12. kentin31

Wowee I need to get back into checking this thread more often, shit's getting on point in here. (Charlie holy crap that banner looks great????) I'm having an Excited But Too Scatterbrained To Make Constructive Sense Of Shit Right Now Moment™ but I'm definitely down to contribute in whatever way. If nothing else I'd love to share design duties with Charlie. The idea of doing a restaurant-esque menu design sounds really cool to me.

As usual narrowing down a top anything list feels impossibly hard for me but I'll give it a shot. Hope y'all don't mind multiple albums from the same band, I can't pick just one from some of them.

Explosions In The Sky - TEINACDP

This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain 

This Will Destroy You - S/T 

This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket

Caspian - You Are The Conductor

Caspian - Waking Season

Hammock - Maybe They Will Sing For Us Tomorrow

Hammock - Departure Songs

Russian Circles - Empros

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

Stars Of The Lid - And Their Refinement Of The Decline

Jakob - Sines

Tides From Nebula - Earthshine

Lowercase Noises - Migratory Patterns

Lowercase Noises - Passage

Moving Mountains - Foreword (not exclusively post rock but it had a huge influence on what I write so it gets an honorable mention)

1.Caspian - Tertia

2.pg. lost - Key

3.ITTCT - Above The Earth, Below The Sky

4.Toe- The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety

5.Kokomo - If Wolves

6.Jakob - Sines

7.Beware Of Saftey - Dogs

8.Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

9.This Will Destroy You - Another Language

10. Moving Mountains - Forward

11.Shy, Low - Hiraeth

12. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

13. Giants - They, The Undeserving

14.Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

15. Russian Circles - Enter

We're going right off the top of my head right now...

Russian Circles - Geneva

Caspian - Tertia

ITTCT - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Cloudkicker - Beacons

Waking Aida - Eschaton

Cecilia::Eyes - Here Dead We Lie

Moving Mountains - Forward

GY!BE - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada

Gifts From Enola - A Healthy Fear

Jakob - Solace

Do Make Say Think - Other Truths

Appleseed Cast - Sagarmatha

toe - The Book About My Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety

This Will Destroy You - S/T

Sleepmakeswaves - Love of Cartography

I'm stoked for all of this going on - you folks are awesome! Thanks for making this a favorite place to check in everyday. Will be back later for the top 15. Everything posted above is just phenomenal, this is going to be impossible. Just doing each year makes me feel like I'm shorting somebody important.  Arctic drone posted their top 10 NEW artists for 2015 from a poll of over 13,000 PR fans. I only knew number 10: Boira.

Also, here's my list:

1. The Evpatoria Report – Golevka

2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – F#A#∞

3. The Ascent of Everest – How Lonely Sits the City!

4. Explosions in the Sky – Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die…

5. This Will Destroy You – S/T

6. Beware of Safety – Dogs

7. Caspian – The Four Trees

8. Daturah – Reverie

9. Deadhorse – We Can Create Our Own World

10. A Silver Mt. Zion – He Has Left Us Alone…

11. Giants – They, the Undeserving

12. Jakob – Solace

13. Pg.Lost – It’s Not Me, It’s You!

14. Yndi Halda – Enjoy Eternal Bliss

15. Joy Wants Eternity – You Who Pretend to Sleep

Holy fuck, just 15 albums? Oi.... gonna try to keep this to one album per band, if possible.

1. I/O - "Saudade"

2. Shy, Low - "Hiraeth"

3. Caspian - "You Are The Conductor"

4. ITTCT - "Red Forest"

5. GIAA - "All Is Violent, All Is Bright"

6. GY!BE - "Raise Your Skinny Fists..."

7. Jakob - Solace

8. PG.Lost - Key

9. Giants - Old Stories

10. Sleepmakeswaves - "...and So We Destroyed Everything"

11. Lights & Motion - Save Your Heart

12. Maybeshewill - "I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone"

13. Mogwai - My Father, My King

14. Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn

15. Tides From Nebulah - Earthshine

Damn, that was hard.

Also, noticing that Mono is getting the shaft here :P

EDIT: Have to include some honorable mentions, because there's so many more good albums/bands.

Year Of No Light - Ausserwelt (more doom than post-rock)

Mono - Under The Pipal Tree

Mono - One More Step and You Die

Pray For Sound - Monophonic

Pray For Sound - Dreamer

April Rain - Waiting for Sunrise

Beware of Safety - It Is Curtains

Daturah - Reverie

Sunlight Ascending - All The Memories, All At Once

I kind of keep to myself on here but linger a bunch because I respect y'all and like to find new stuff. Will post my 15 albums for the hell of it. I think I come from a bit heavier background. Pelican was my gateway band over 10 years ago. Damn time flies. Not going to try to keep the list to one album per band. Tried to pick some older records and some newer ones.

Pelican - Australiasia

Pelican - Forever Becoming

Russian Circles - Enter

Russian Circles - Empros

Toundra - I

Glaciers - And the Sea Won the Battle

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

ITTCT - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Caspian - Dust and Disquiet

Audrey Fall - Mitau

Cloudkicker - Fade