The Concert Thread

You guys go to shows...with friends...???? What!?!?!?! Weirdos.

I would say at least 60% of all shows I have ever attended I have been flying solo. Would've been more if I hadn't insisted on dragging my girlfriend/fiancee/wife to a bunch. Which is always a mistake. Always. "My feet hurt." "This person keeps bumping into me." "That person is smoking." "Someone spilled beer on me." "It's so loud." "Why is he cursing Jesus Christ?" Etc.

I need to start going to more shows by myself. I usually drag my brother along since he's mildly interested in the same music that I am, but it's typically a hassle getting him to join me. My wife is my backup for shows he won't go to. I'm dragging her to see Restorations next Fri. It probably won't go over well. I should just fly solo.

I need to start going to more shows by myself. I usually drag my brother along since he's mildly interested in the same music that I am, but it's typically a hassle getting him to join me. My wife is my backup for shows he won't go to. I'm dragging her to see Restorations next Fri. It probably won't go over well. I should just fly solo.

I can count on my brother for Bad Religion shows.  He also went to one of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones Hometown Throwdown shows last year and was texting me the other day about which date to go to this year so I assume he will be attending again.  Of course, that's only one out of three nights.  

Oh, ok, this is somewhat relevant.  Over the summer I saw Off With Their Heads at an unsanctioned, alcohol-free DIY venue up near the NH/MA border.  I went by myself.  I was definitely on the upper end of the age bell curve at that one.  That was pretty torturous.  But I don't typically go to those types of shows/venues.  

Oh, ok, this is somewhat relevant.  Over the summer I saw Off With Their Heads at an unsanctioned, alcohol-free DIY venue up near the NH/MA border.  I went by myself.  I was definitely on the upper end of the age bell curve at that one.  That was pretty torturous.  But I don't typically go to those types of shows/venues.  

I just about always at the upper end of the age curve!

I just about always at the upper end of the age curve!

Yeah, funny how that works.  The average age stays at the shows stays the same and we get older!  Really, for stuff like Bosstones, Rancid, Bad Religion, established bands, etc., it's not so bad.  But when Rancid and BR opened for Rise Against it was pretty uncomfortable age-wise.  I also felt really old at Japandroids and the Menzingers.  The absolute worst though has to be when La Dispute opened for Hot Water Music.  I swear there were 12-year-olds up front.  12!!!!  It was kind of hilarious to see them all leave after La Dispute and then all the old people shuffle in for HWM.  

Oh, thought of another one.  My wife and I were definitely the oldest non-parents at the Green Day show for the 21st Century Breakdown tour.  

Yeah, funny how that works.  The average age stays at the shows stays the same and we get older!  Really, for stuff like Bosstones, Rancid, Bad Religion, established bands, etc., it's not so bad.  But when Rancid and BR opened for Rise Against it was pretty uncomfortable age-wise.  I also felt really old at Japandroids and the Menzingers.  The absolute worst though has to be when La Dispute opened for Hot Water Music.  I swear there were 12-year-olds up front.  12!!!!  It was kind of hilarious to see them all leave after La Dispute and then all the old people shuffle in for HWM.  

Oh, thought of another one.  My wife and I were definitely the oldest non-parents at the Green Day show for the 21st Century Breakdown tour.  

There was definitely an older crowd at the Voodoo Glow Skulls show last weekend.  I just drag my 14 year old son with me and then I feel really out of place.  

I actually like going to shows solo. My girlfriend goes with me every now and then if she doesnt have work. All shows for me are about an hour away so I usually go early, hit up a few record shops, eat Chipotle and enjoy the show.

Stoked to see Mixtapes, Real Friends, and Pentimento on Monday.

I actually like going to shows solo. My girlfriend goes with me every now and then if she doesnt have work. All shows for me are about an hour away so I usually go early, hit up a few record shops, eat Chipotle and enjoy the show.

Stoked to see Mixtapes, Real Friends, and Pentimento on Monday.

Sounds like a fantastic plan.  I like going by myself as well so that I can show up when I want to and hopefully score some autographs.

Guys, I saw A Great Big Pile of Leaves with my wife in Akron, Ohio and other than us, there were prob 3 other teenie bopper girls standing & watching. This was a couple years ago so we were probably 27 when we went to that show. Now that was a bit awkward.

That's pretty bad. When I saw the So So Glos and Diarrhea Planet a few months ago there was a group of kids who were leaving in the middle of the So So Glos set. Since the crowd was so small (my brother and I along with maybe 10 other people) the band stopped the kids and asked why they were leaving. The kids said that it was past their curfew. So the band actually called up the kids' parents and told them they would drive them home after the show - claiming they were good responsible drivers. This was during the middle of their set. That moment made me question if I'm too old for this. Fortunately I'm 27 and can probably pass as 18.

Last night, I went to a show and it was super fun. All the bands where super good, two were from Japan, (Thirsty Chords and Turncoat. If you get a chance to see them while they're here, do it!) Turncoat did a dope Jawbreaker cover, I got pretty dang drunk and talked to a coworker about how awesome KISS is and I attempted to do a cartwheel while Holy Shit! was playing and landed directly on my head.

That's pretty bad. When I saw the So So Glos and Diarrhea Planet a few months ago there was a group of kids who were leaving in the middle of the So So Glos set. Since the crowd was so small (my brother and I along with maybe 10 other people) the band stopped the kids and asked why they were leaving. The kids said that it was past their curfew. So the band actually called up the kids' parents and told them they would drive them home after the show - claiming they were good responsible drivers. This was during the middle of their set. That moment made me question if I'm too old for this. Fortunately I'm 27 and can probably pass as 18.

Amazing