The Concert Thread

• 4 weeks later...

16 years in the making last night....Danzig did NOT disappoint. Saw Danzig smile when he saw a 5 year old right up front on her parents' shoulders head banging throwin the metal horns

Surprisingly didn't hate the three covers he threw in off the new covers album, in fact the crowd kind of went off during the Sabbath cover

Shit ruled, didn't get to hear Brand New God, but he did end the night with Long Way Back From Hell which was phenominal

Polyphonic Spree last night

Desaparecidos on Saturday

man....Polyphonic Spree isn't my favorite band or anything, but they are one of my favorite live acts....best I've ever seen them last night. My boss was/is a member of this band and so having them at his venue he played with them again....played The Beginning Stages Of from start to finish then took a break and came back and hammered out another hour+ set after that. My boss lit his drums on fire and slammed his head through the snare head while it was on fire. One member turned 30 and there was a surprise cake ceremony on stage. They all left the stage at the end directly into the crowd (all 21-22 of them). This is my third time working a Polyphonic Spree show and 5th time seeing them. Always super nice to work with always an ass ton of work always one of the best live shows to catch.....but fucking sucks to clean up after (even without the confetti canon)...

worked the Desapericodos show last night, caught most of Bandroidz, So So Glo's, and Desapericodos sets....while frantically looking for a lid to a container to one of our house made simple syrups I opened a door that goes to the green room and physically ran directly into Conor...he was super nice about it, thankfully, and seemed as startled as I was.

Weird night, weird crowd, and didn't expect them to be on one of the nicest and biggest tour buses I've ever seen either (on par with Cults)

Birdwell, you see so many bands. I am supremely jealous.

I'm working most of them....being inside the venue and catching most of it from afar versus actively attending a show and being a part of the crowd are a bit different.

Always sucks when it's a band you actually want to see and can't actually pay attention to the show.....or the exact opposite....stuck watching a train-wreck, bored out of your skull while making little to money

It's a weird trade off.....I don't make very much money, but I get to see a shit load of bands that I thoroughly enjoy for free. If I had a job makin more money, I'd probably spend a decent chunk trying to catch these same bands.

I love live music....I live for live music. The thing with the new venue I work for is that I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't speak negatively about any of the bands coming to or through the venue before, during, or after their performance verbally on site or anywhere online. Basically if I catch a shitty or mediocre set at work (which DOES happen) I'm not allowed to say "fuck _____ they're set was awful and their sound guy didn't have a clue what he was doing". Last place, basically had an unspoken "be nice to the bands no matter what" while they're on site.

I've been actively attending live music for well over half my life and I can't quite imagine NOT doing so....I know there will come a time when I won't be able to...but I can't imagine getting burned out on it at this point

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a hardcore show Saturday.  Living Laser, Blind Justice, Breakaway, Hangman, Against Your Will, Lost Souls, and Failed Future all played at My Place Pizza in Poughkeepsie for five bucks.  Grabbed a 7" and 12" from Living Laser for $5 each, met some cool people, and almost broke my nose.  Last song of Blind Justice's set I was moshing, got run into and fell backwards over a couch (not really sure why there was a couch in the middle of the floor...) and took an elbow to the face.  Spent the next 30 minutes outside the venue with some napkins stuck up my nostril and left a blood trail all through the restaurant.  All in all pretty sick gig, Living Laser and Blind Justice have amazing energy live and $15 for admission and two records is a steal.

New Orleans has shit luck with tours, but Ne Obliviscaris is getting their Australian asses here in January, so I'll have to go to that. Road-tripping to Texas in December to see BTBAM and Native Construct -- super pumped for that.

Hey, I live here too (now, I'm technically in Gretna, though). Yeah, NOLA has been known for people to skip over for years. 

Hey, I live here too (now, I'm technically in Gretna, though). Yeah, NOLA has been known for people to skip over for years.

Lol, well, technically I live in Metairie. We get a weird set of shows here. Apparently Mayhem and Watain were here like a little less than a week ago and didn't even know about it. I did catch Watain in NOLA on Halloween last year, though.

I just saw La Dispute, Envy, and Wildhoney last night in Mesa, AZ and it was fucking tight. All 3 bands killed it. I had never listened to Envy before and they had a ton of songs where they would just straight up jam with no vocals for a minute or two and you could just feel it. It was fucking rad. La Dispute was amazing, got a record signed and also got a copy of Wildlife - which is awesome because it's not for sale anywhere for less than $30 new and they had copies for $20. Overall it was an awesome night.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out Unwritten Law is doing a few Florida dates in March and they're bringing Fenix-TX along. Really happy Will Salazar is feeling well enough to hit the road again and that I can finally see them live.

I hope for your sake they've actually learned how to play together and sing in key.......Fenix TX has to be one the absolute biggest disappointing bands I have ever seen. I mean, I was 16 when I saw them open up for Blink and Bad Religion and I remember looking at my friend I went with and saying "dude, we have played those songs better in your garage"

I just saw La Dispute, Envy, and Wildhoney last night in Mesa, AZ and it was fucking tight. All 3 bands killed it. I had never listened to Envy before and they had a ton of songs where they would just straight up jam with no vocals for a minute or two and you could just feel it. It was fucking rad. La Dispute was amazing, got a record signed and also got a copy of Wildlife - which is awesome because it's not for sale anywhere for less than $30 new and they had copies for $20. Overall it was an awesome night.

I had Pity Sex open for La Dispute. I would have rather seen Envy. 

Saw The Libertines in Mexico City last night!!!! It was so fucking rad. Something American fans won't get a chance to see, unless by traveling out of the country. It was awesome.

And Death From Above again. Always killer live.

I saw Sleater Kinner as well. They were awesome live, but the crowd was too dead and lame

i took my brother to see the front bottoms a couple weeks ago, and heres a video of me stagdiving

elvis depressedly was 100x better IMO, and no one cared they were playing

if front bottoms would have played more stuff from the the self titled it would have been better

• 1 month later...