URGENT: NUCLEAR WARNING - Fukushima Unit 4 Petition

Guest deleted

Guest deleted

PETITION STATEMENT

At Fukushima Unit 4, the impending removal of hugely radioactive spent fuel rods from a pool 100 feet in the air presents unparalleled scientific and engineering challenges. With the potential for 15,000 times more fallout than was released at Hiroshima, we ask the world community, through the United Nations, to take control of this uniquely perilous task.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/the-world-community-must

Guest deleted

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/4213061

From the interview/article - David Suzuki:

"Fukushima is the most terrifying situation I can imagine," he said.

"Three out of the four plants were destroyed in the earthquake and in the tsunami. The fourth one has been so badly damaged that the fear is, if there's another earthquake of a seven or above that, that building will go and then all hell breaks loose.

"And the probability of a seven or above earthquake in the next three years is over 95 per cent."

Suzuki said that an international team of experts needs to go into the Fukushima plant and help fix the problem, but said the Japanese government has "too much pride to admit that."

"I have seen a paper which says that if in fact the fourth plant goes under in an earthquake and those rods are exposed, it's bye bye Japan and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate," he said.

"If that isn't terrifying, I don't know what is."

Guest deleted

Yes, I know sometimes ignorance is bliss but I don't think in this case.

If you care about Japan and its surrounding areas, as well as the west coast of North America, please sign the petition, tell 5 people or even just bump this thread.

You really don't want the company who is supposed to be doing this to do it. They have proven incompetence and this is like playing "pick-up-sticks" with 1,300 messed up nuclear rods.

Not cool. Not safe. Fucking dangerous. Fucking scary.

Not saying we should take Nuclear fallout lightly but the justification in the link is "I read a paper that said this".

If the first 3 plants were destroyed in an earthquake and Japan + the western US are fine, why is the 4th all of the sudden going to cause 1/3 of the world to be inhabitable? How does the radiation being measured right now on the west coast compare to what I am hit with in Michigan every time I walk outside from the sun? How was any of this calculated? Why aren't more scientists sounding warning alarms?

Sounds like an overreaction to me on the surface.

Guest deleted

Not saying we should take Nuclear fallout lightly but the justification in the link is "I read a paper that said this".

If the first 3 plants were destroyed in an earthquake and Japan + the western US are fine, why is the 4th all of the sudden going to cause 1/3 of the world to be inhabitable? How does the radiation being measured right now on the west coast compare to what I am hit with in Michigan every time I walk outside from the sun? How was any of this calculated? Why aren't more scientists sounding warning alarms?

Sounds like an overreaction to me on the surface.

Yeah, hear ya. I don't mean to cause alarm. I have read more than several articles (a few of them answer questions you are asking above) but still don't really know much about the topic as a whole. I'm admittedly, typically on the side of Dr. David Suzuki on most issues.

Even if this just makes one think about truly clean and safe energy.

God bless.

I've read a few articles on both sides of the argument and for the most part the most dramatic sky is falling type ones arnt from any sort of credible news organization whereas the ones disproving those claims are.

Don't really know which side to believe but I have to think if there really was such a cause for concern and the possibility of our whole west coast being eliminated it would definitely be made more public than the odd Facebook post I see.

Agreed. I hate to sound like a corporate shill but I really have to think that scientists looking into this thing in Japan and other parts of the world would have a vested interested in not being melted by radiation, and would probably put forth credible evidence suggesting such a thing would happen if that was the case.

The UN

absolutely.

I have three friends who are all nuclear physists (and I currently work in social services, LOL @ ME) and they're all anxious in the not-so-good way about Japan.  I dont know why because they talk in nuclear-ese to each other when I, dumbly, bring it up, but if they're anxious about nuclear stuff then that makes me anxious

• 1 month later...
Guest deleted

And god only knows what kind of giant nuclear sea monster is breeding in the Pacific Ocean as we speak...

Yeah, apparently there is a huge "dead-zone" off the coast of Japan and nuclear waste will continue to spill into the Pacific Ocean for decades!

Japan are now recruiting and hiring POOR PEOPLE to help clean up, paying them less than minimum wage? Classy.

Not to mention Yakuza (Japanese gang) involvement...

:l

http://link.reuters.com/duv65v

• 2 weeks later...

If you want credible on this Subject check out Paul Stamets. You can prob just search Paul Stamets Fukushima to see what he has to say.

Basically his background is a mycologist (Studies mushrooms, fungi), probably the foremost in the world and a big chunk of his research has been devoted to how mycelium can breakdown/convert radiation. It's basically the only thing that can (that I know of) Anyway, dude knows his shit and has been doing this since WAY before Fukushima, so I would consider him to be the best person to ask.

From what I've read he says, in a nutshell, that radiation levels on the west coast of North America are 100 times below what is considered life-threatening (still obviously causes problems, but won't kill you immediately from radiation poisoning. He goes on to say that radiation levels will continue to increase and be compounded especially in fish high on the food chain.

Here, I'll link to his facebook and copy/paste some of his recent statements:

http://www.facebook.com/PaulStamets

A quick word from Paul about #Fukushima and/or exposure to other radiation sources and edible mushrooms: "The levels are 100 times below what is considered #life threatening here on the west coast of North America. However the levels are compounding and could elevate to a level of concern over the next few years, if the leaking reactors are not contained, especially in fish high on the food chain. #Mushrooms react to radioactivity in two ways. One is to concentrate radioactive fallout, such as Cesium 137. But melanizing #fungi can convert ionizing#radiation into, if you can believe it, heat using their melanin. By studying darkly pigmented fungi's tolerance and reaction to deadly radiation, many new discoveries are opening before us " Here is a link for more info: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/07/lifeforms-can-clean-up-radiation-naturally.html

Continuing the discussion:

"Again.... the problem is compounding and if the radioactive leaks are not stopped, there will be increasing concentrations, and some plumes will pollute the food chains, especially proximate to Fukushima or areas impacted by concentrated streams. It is good people are concerned - they should and must be - but this is an unfolding disaster, with few good options in sight, and becomes more problematic every day. 

I concur with David Suzuki on this

http://ecowatch.com/2013/10/09/fukushima-radiation-safe-to-eat-fish/

It takes one generation to pollute - and many generations to clean it up. My father was a nuclear scientist/engineer and we argued many times about the danger of nuclear waste. He conceded that the storage of nuclear waste could be a ticking time-bomb if we could not contain it, especially the long lived radionucleotides. 

We owe it to future generations to be ecologically rationale. Fukushima is not the last nuclear power plant to crash. And I think the argument that nuclear power is the solution to offset global warming is inherently flawed if we do not find a solution to these types of disasters and the spent fuel. 

We are doing experiments with Lawrence Livermore Labs on the feasibility of up-channelling Cesium 134 (safer for the lab tests) from the soil into the mushrooms. A quirk of nature is that mushrooms are very high in potassium, up to 5+%, and some mushrooms can substitute cesium for potassium, metabolically. The concept here is to remove cesium from the top few inches of soil, the mycelium will up-channel to cesium into the fruitbodies, thus decontaminating the soil without having to discard it - yet another ecological disaster. The mushrooms are then sequestered, and the problem is reduced (not solved) by several orders of magnitude. The research is on-going, and species-specificity is one of many factors. (Some species hyperaccumulate cesium better than others.) 

Be aware, keep informed, be skeptical, and read the research. We are on this Earthship together. We need a new ecological/economic metric that places value on the long term consequences inflicted by those whose motivations are short term and solely profit driven. I think investing in nature, rich in solutions which have tested over millions of years, is the first place to look for answers. This is deeply personal to me: Nature speaks to us - will we listen ? I am trying to."

Paul Stamets

Can someone link *credible* sources which present both sides of the argument?  

My friend showed me this a while ago, and it seems to me like it can't be that bad.

How much credibility do you need? Japanese politicians are either admitting they aren't sure what to expect or are still devising a plan on how to handle it. There isn't any Japanese politician claiming it will all be alright.

I don't doubt that 1) the cleanup team is over their heads and 2) I'd be scared shitless if I live in japan.

I just wonder about the whole danger to the US. Plants have melted down before. When Chernobyl happened it didn't turn the entire continent of Asia into a nuclear wasteland. Still looking for the reasoning why this is supposedly so much worse than every other Nuclear blunder so far.