'La Dispute are not a band. La Dispute are an infection. A scratch that cannot be itched'

To recap, for the tl;dr folks:

• Some neckbeard thinks that Jordan's lyrics are on par with Plato's philosophies

• Same dude also enjoys wooing - and disgracing - girls with his favorite angsty teen lyrics, and insists La Dispute's are perfect for this. (He's not wrong.)

• Insists that the band's music is also, allegedly, in a class of its own: listening to La Dispute will redefine everything you thought you knew about enjoying music.

And having personally listened to the band, I've got to call bullshit on all fronts.

Some neckbeard thinks that Jordan's lyrics are on par with Plato's philosophies. He also enjoys wooing - and disgracing - girls with his favorite angsty teen lyrics, and insists La Dispute's are perfect for this. (He's not wrong.)

The paragraph mentioning this is hilarious, only because it's so embarrassing that someone would A ) do that and B ) admit to it with what feels like a little bit of pride.

I'm too lazy to read anymore of his stuff.  But he does refer to Cursive as 'post hardcore neo emo legends', which I find charming.

The paragraph mentioning this is hilarious, only because it's so embarrassing that someone would A.) do that and B.) admit to it with what feels like a little bit of pride.

Right?  I felt the wave of cringes wash over me, in the middle of reading his examples.  It's something you'd expect from one of these guys.

• Some neckbeard thinks that Jordan's lyrics are on par with Plato's philosophies

• Same dude also enjoys wooing - and disgracing - girls with his favorite angsty teen lyrics, and insists La Dispute's are perfect for this. (He's not wrong.)

• Insists that the band's music is also, allegedly, in a class of its own: listening to La Dispute will redefine everything you thought you knew about enjoying music.

And having personally listened to the band, I've got to call bullshit on all fronts.

Thanks, wasn't sure if I should click or not. 

Some of their lyrics are so pretentiously horrendous, but the most puzzling element of this band has got to be how rabid their fanbase is. I truthfully don't get it.

you must not have given them a good chance. he is an incredible lyricist, but his vocals are not for everyone. 

Is this people the younger brothers/sisters/new generation of those funny fellas that used label all kinds fast music (emo, metal, hc...) as 'grindcore' in the early '00s?

They wore scarves and white belts. They were into Corn On Macabre and loved Pg.99.

you must not have given them a good chance. he is an incredible lyricist, but his vocals are not for everyone. 

I've heard their main (widely praised) albums, and have read their lyrics.  I'm sticking to my guns.  Are his lyrics different?  Sure.  But every "gem" of a lyric that La Dispute fans attempt to cite as a perfect example - like the article Rambo posted above - are just atrocious.  Some of Jordan's songs have really cool concepts and stories, but I'd say the majority of his stuff is laughably bad.

Have always thought their lyrics are trying to be deep but instead come off ridiculously shallow. I felt so baf about this opinion I listened to all their records. Then they put out Wildlife which has the most cringeworthy lurics of them all. Why attempt to mature with a fanbase eating it up?

As to the article? His only mistake was posting publicly. Pretty sure at some point all of us have had a crush on a band. If you saw 15 year old me with my Black Train Jack obsession you'd probably laugh.

Is this people the younger brothers/sisters/new generation of those funny fellas that used label all kinds fast music (emo, metal, hc...) as 'grindcore' in the early '00s?

They wore scarves and white belts. They were into Corn On Macabre and loved Pg.99.

wow, corn on macabre reference?  LOLOLOL well played

Some neckbeard thinks that Jordan's lyrics are on par with Plato's philosophies

Jordan's lyrics are on par with Plato's philosophies

Plato's philosophies

FTFY