Record skipping problem

Hi,

My girlfriend has a portable crosley briefcase turntable that seems to cause skipping on records that are a little warped. I'm pretty sure it's not the records because a previous turntable she had, the same records didn't skip. When the record spins and the needle reaches the top off the bump and begins to go back down, the needle bounces inward about 6-8 lines.

I'm currently out of town and away from my real turntable, so I can't test the records myself. When I get back, I'll test them.

I have a few ideas on how to fix it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

1. The tonearm/needle weight is too little. Not sure how to fix that.

2. The turntable part is too small. I thought about getting a stiff slipmat to put over it.

Any ideas?

Yes, I know the Crosleys aren't the best. She wanted this one over a Memorex 3 in 1 she already had that was identical to the big Crosley 3 in 1's. Plus, I sold it to her for $30 when I worked at a department store selling them. This works for her because she travels between homes a lot and likes to listen to her records.

Any idea what the little fixes could be?

You're a pretty bad boyfriend if you robbed her out of $30 for this vinyl killer and made sure she is unable to enjoy her records.

Joking aside, ipods exist for the sole purpose of enjoying records on the go. I don't really get the concept or need for a portable record player. So a standard table isn't portable enough, but a record collection is?

You're a pretty bad boyfriend if you robbed her out of $30 for this vinyl killer and made sure she is unable to enjoy her records.

Joking aside, ipods exist for the sole purpose of enjoying records on the go. I don't really get the concept or need for a portable record player. So a standard table isn't portable enough, but a record collection is?

I was thinking this very thing.

To the OP cheap poorly made record players won't add anything to the sound or listening experience of an album (IMO). In fact they will probably make the experience worse (which seems to be the case). There probably really isn't much you or her can do to fix that particular turntable. Unfortunately you usually end up getting what you pay for with items like that.

I agree with all the responses.  To add onto why Crosby turntables are bad, I believe most if not all of them use ceramic cartridges to add additional weight to get a better output signal since the preamp in them are so terribly weak.  This heavy type of cartridge will ruin your records over time.  Ditch the Crosby and get a real turntable, preamp and integrated amp, and let's not forget the most important part, GOOD SPEAKERS, if you want an enjoyable listening experience from your vinyl.  That's the other thing about those all-in-one systems.  Having the speakers attached in the same enclosure that the turntable is in is going to add a bunch of unwanted noise.  You want to isolate your turntable from any and all vibration.  Cheap and convenient equipment is no way to experience vinyl records.