VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

You want to tell me what I said is wrong instead of just acting like you know better but saying nothing of substance?

I mean, based on the language you used you seem pretty set in your opinion and whatever I say isn't going to change your mind. I don't really want to get into a discussion with someone who just throws out ignorant statements like "instrumental music is just noise"; you just completely disregarded centuries of classical music.

tell me what it is about

I think this is where you are going wrong if you aren't "getting" instrumental music. I don't think a song has to be about anything specific to illicit an emotional response. Just enjoy the groove, the tones, the textures, the melodies, the dynamics; there's a ton of things to enjoy about music with no vocals.

You're looking at this too directly. Lyrics tell you how to feel, in a sense. I can't tell you how an instrumental song will produce an emotional response with you or with anyone else. If you feel nothing, you feel nothing. I feel nothing from punk music, but I don't think that it doesn't hold it's own weight in the musical universe.

I almost cried when I saw this band live, so I'll give you this.

The best music tells a story. It's impossible to do with out words. Instrumental music is just noise. Might be interesting sounding noise, but that's it.

I don't even know how to address this. C'mon, Bowski. If anything, I'd say that instrumental music is more thought-evoking and open to interpretation than music with lyrics. I found it pretty boring back when I was 14 or so, but over the years it's proven to be some of the most rewarding "noise" I've ever heard. To say that music isn't truly music if it lacks spoken lyrics... I don't know. I feel like that's one of the most ridiculous claims you can make. Obviously we're all entitled to an opinion, but music has existed for a long, long while without vocals. You're missing out on a whole lot if you plan to write off bands without clearly decipherable vocals.

And can we briefly discuss how a lot of artists have some completely shitty / embarrassing / awful lyrics? Some stories don't need to be told.

I don't even know how to address this. C'mon, Bowski. If anything, I'd say that instrumental music is more thought-evoking and open to interpretation than music with lyrics. I found it pretty boring back when I was 14 or so, but over the years it's proven to be some of the most rewarding "noise" I've ever heard. To say that music isn't truly music if it lacks spoken lyrics... I don't know. I feel like that's one of the most ridiculous claims you can make. Obviously we're all entitled to an opinion, but music has existed for a long, long while without vocals. You're missing out on a whole lot if you plan to write off bands without clearly decipherable vocals.

I dont really see drawing a comparison to Mozart as a reason to listen to post-rock. Yeah, instrumental is the oldest form of music there is. I also don't where a big white wig because it used to be popular. It's not like people back then had a choice between that and rock or rap. When people were given the choice (say mid-50s and on), it's pretty much killed the popularity of classical stuff. That stuff exists in our culture because it has been embedded due to hundreds of years of piano lessons and musical scholars, not because people are regularly jamming it off their iPods on their way to work.

Calling it all "just noise" might be harsh. I think some of it sounds ok. It would just sound better if it had some lyrics. That's just the fundamental basis no one will convince me to budge from -- lyrics make songs better. There can be solos and tempos and melodies and everything else that people like about instrumental music in both. Adding some (well written) lyrics can do no harm in my mind, though.

Letting this little sidebar go after this one. Said what I wanted to.

Maybe you haven't listened to the right instrumental stuff. Do you know how a good movie score improves the actual movie? That's because the music is telling a story along with the actual movie. Just remove the movie part, & you have a good instrumental band experience.

I'll tell you that it also helps to see an instrumental band live. When you see the emotion some of these guys put into their craft, you truly gain a much better appreciation for it. Too often the talents of each band member gets weighed down becuase of a vocalist. Without words, you're forced to focus on each individual element of the band. & when it's done right, it truly is a work of art.

Yeah, I'm way behind.  I see your guys' posts in a lot of ambient / post-rock / etc. threads.  And those are the topics I find myself active in, more often than not, but that certainly doesn't mean that I don't enjoy or appreciate artists and genres that fall into the more "straightforward" side of things, if that makes any sense. (i.e. indie rock, alternative, etc.)  Built To Spill are one of those groups that I've been meaning to check out for ages, but just haven't gotten around to.  I'll have to fix that.

Most of Built to Spill's music is pretty sraightforward, but I feel like Perfect From Now On has more in common with post-rock and classical music than their other works. They are hard for me to peg in any genre though. I feel they are way beyond simple explanation. PFNO honestly shaped how I view music and I wouldn't listen to 95% of what I do now if it wasn't for that album, which is probably why I hold it in such high regard. I'm blasting Velvet Waltz right now and it is more intense than any song I have ever heard in my life. I'm not too big of a fan of lyrics, but Doug Martsch's lyrics are easily my favorite thing of all time.

No sarcasm. The best music tells a story. It's impossible to do with out words. Instrumental music is just noise. Might be interesting sounding noise, but that's it.

I don't care if people want to listen to that stuff but I don't get how it can be considered superior to the best albums with lyrics. Don't the lyrics bring a lot to the table? It's at least half of the value in any album to me, maybe more.

Different strokes I guess.

"Music can put a human being in a trance like state and deprive it for the sneaking feeling of existing."

"Music is bigger than words and wider than pictures."

The fact that people are comparing post rock shit to classical is laughable. Yeah there are some good purely instrumental bands, but they still are shit compared to composers like Mozart and Bach.

It was funny to see the people be all 'LOL you dumb bro' because Lebowski put an opinion and his reasoning behind it. Lyrics mean a lot to him, there is nothing wrong or right about that at all. Being all 'hahahaha stupid.gif' just makes you look like a jackass.

My pick for G

chateau_gramparsons.jpg