Zeppelin Vinyl Reissues

avl

Hey all, anyone know any numbers? I read somewhere that the first 30,000 of the SUPER DELUXE will be hand numbered...but first 30,000 how many of the "limited" super deluxe are they pressing. Even that seems like a LOT for a limited version.

Ill probably just get the deluxe version of III since I have the first presses (Canadian) of the I and II.

If I remember correctly, the info I saw this morning said "individually numbered," not hand numbered. I read it twice because I couldn't imagine them hand numbering 90,000 box sets.

Based on the number of pre-orders the store where I work took today, 30,000 could be a reasonable quantity.

If you're actually interested in those tracks, "Travelling Riverside Blues" can be found on vinyl here. "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was a b-side to "Immigrant Song" way back in the day. Just thought I'd let you know. That BBC Sessions record kicks ass, it's on my turntable all the time. Really good stuff.  B)

Oh, I have both those tracks--and the entire Zep catalog--on CD. Probably a few times over by now. That bootleg looks interesting tho... And as for "Hey Hey," I've never been too concerned about spending the time (and money) to track down a clean copy of the Immigrant Song single. 

A few friends and I were just spitballing about the outtakes, and most of us assumed those would HAVE to be on the second disc of II & III respectively. Instead, we got... Backing tracks. 

If you're right about Coda's second disc being ALL the true outtakes, then that's gonna be a must-be for me. (At this rate, sometime in 2017.)

Oh, I have both those tracks--and the entire Zep catalog--on CD. Probably a few times over by now. That bootleg looks interesting tho... And as for "Hey Hey," I've never been too concerned about spending the time (and money) to track down a clean copy of the Immigrant Song single. 

A few friends and I were just spitballing about the outtakes, and most of us assumed those would HAVE to be on the second disc of II & III respectively. Instead, we got... Backing tracks. 

If you're right about Coda's second disc being ALL the true outtakes, then that's gonna be a must-be for me. (At this rate, sometime in 2017.)

Yeah, I've got it all on CD as well. Zeppelin was the band for me growing up - as soon as I got into vinyl, completing their catalog was #1 on the list. 

If you're interested in the bootleg, you should probably pick it up sooner rather than later. I bought it when it came out for $20 down in Portland, but now the cheapest US copy on Discogs is $35, so it looks like they might be going up in price and I don't even think it was a limited release. Definitely get it though if you can, it's good stuff. Sound quality is pretty killer as well.

Totally agree about the Immigrant Song 7". I don't think I'd ever be able to find a good one. I saw a "Whole Lotta Love" single a while back and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it considering how clean it was. Agh!

Correct. "Cut directly from the original tapes" sounds good on a press release, but you're delusional if you don't consider the numerous other factors (quality of the equipment used, the ears and tastes of the mastering engineer, the shape the tapes are in, where it's pressed, etc.) to be waaaay more important. You and everyone else would fail a double blind test between 2" tape and that tape run through a modern A/D converter. It's possible for digital to capture frequencies over twice the range of human perception, which is also well over what microphones are capable of capturing, I'm not sure why digital recording has such a bad rep besides the fact that most (ugh) "loudness war" victims are all digital. But again that's not an intrinsic quality of digital, just a side effect of the fact that it's easier and faster to record in digital, some people have taken advantage of that by spending the extra time crafting a great sounding album, some just rush through everything and poop out a shiny brickwalled turd. Don't blame the format.

I get what you're saying but the fact that the original master tapes are more than likely the 2" tape and the fact that the digital files would be the analog signal bounced to digital imply that the digital would still be only a sample of the full frequency range and original tonal characteristics from the tapes? Wouldn't that effectively be like xeroxing a xerox (maybe not as dramatically lossy)? And technically doesn't that make the digital signal being culled from the original master not authentic? I don't know. I think if an album recorded straight to tape, use the tape to cut lacquers. If the tape were in too poor of shape to cut directly from it why do this project at all? The answer to that last one is: money. When I listen to my original press of Song Remains The Same and my box set there is a clear difference. The new box set sounds much more sterile. The old one sounds richer with fuller mids and less compression. Is that only because digital VS. analog? I don't know. I don't even know that the box set was cut using digital but everything I have learned about the industry tells me it probably is. I just want someone to make more, new pressings of classic LZ albums using the original master tapes directly from the tape signal so it can feel like a continuation of the original presses which are about 85% in terrible shape by this point so new fans can experience the old-fashioned analog quality (be that quality subjectively better or worse than digital) on newly pressed vinyl records. I don't care for remasters. Those are only necessary for new formats but old formats (vinyl LP's) should still be pressed with the original analog tapes in my opinion. That's just my feeling. I respect your position but this is where I'm coming from.

How much were they each? Do they just refund your CC or do they not charge until there shipped?

they just lower the price on the preorder total each time goes down (not charged until shipping). that's the good thing about Amazon preorder - if you lock in early enough, you get the order shipped at the lowest price up to the release date. I was $53 (now $43); II and III were $44 (now $33).

Do you think these are really remastered be Jimmy Page? I read somewhere that they are and if so my question is, why in the hell would you pay $100+ per album that was mastered by a 70 year old man who has spent most of his life standing in front of Marshall 4x12's? I have to believe that he just signed off on the remaster... right?

Do you think these are really remastered be Jimmy Page? I read somewhere that they are and if so my question is, why in the hell would you pay $100+ per album that was mastered by a 70 year old man who has spent most of his life standing in front of Marshall 4x12's? I have to believe that he just signed off on the remaster... right?

Pretty much.

On a related note... Dr. Dre doesn't actually assemble every pair of Beats By Dre headphones by hand. Nor did Paul Newman spend all day making salad dressing.

Pretty much.

On a related note... Dr. Dre doesn't actually assemble every pair of Beats By Dre headphones by hand. Nor did Paul Newman spend all day making salad dressing.

Thanks for clearing that up dude!!!

I wasn't asking if Page was pressing each unit or putting each record in the sleeve you dick. I was asking if he remastered the album as it specifically said he did in a press release I read.

Do the Amazon pre-orders usually fluctuate in price? It makes sense for them to go down as they get more pre-orders, but have you guys ever really seen the price go back up?

I went to order the deluxe I and the remastered II using rewards points on Amazon today, but I'm not allowed to use points for pre-orders. So I was planning on waiting until the day they come out and ordering them with points, but what are the chances the price goes back up?

Another benefit of the amazon route is the auto rip feature.

On the day of the release you will have access to it digitally in the Amazon media player app.

I've gotten this feature on albums that didn't advertise the autorip feature... I think it's standard practice nowadays.

Thanks for clearing that up dude!!!

I wasn't asking if Page was pressing each unit or putting each record in the sleeve you dick. I was asking if he remastered the album as it specifically said he did in a press release I read.

An honest-to-goodness decent engineer (I forget his name) is doing the actual mastering. Page is more hands-on than Bob & JPJ, but I can't imagine he's doing the nuts-and-bolts work. They probably just play him the finished tracks to get his approval.

He was more involved with the 1990 box set. I believe Page came up with the running order, which worked pretty well IMHO. 

Kudos to those who are preordering, but I'm definitely waiting a couple weeks to gauge what audiophiles REALLY think of the mastering job. All the press release hyberbole in the world doesn't tell us a damn thing until people actually hear these reissues and get to compare them against their OP copies. There will always be holdouts who refuse to admit the reissues could equal (or better) vintage copies, but I'd be satisfied with the recent reissues of Floyd or the Stones... or ideally, the Rhino Van Morrisons and Tom Waits titles, which arguably better the originals.

And no need to call me a dick, dude. 

Cant we just get that absurd road box reissued by the company that went out of business (Vague, I know)  It was 45 RPMs, all single sided LPs.  Allegedly they sound incredible. 

Classic Records. All their reissues were fantastic. The Zeppelin 45 RPMs go for about $150+ used now... I can't imagine what the whole road case is worth.

A lot of folks are hoping these new releases outdo the Classic versions, but that's a big "if."