Mutemath S/T does anyone know if this ever going to be re-released?

50 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

So, it's not about putting a record back in print - and helping the fans - it's about the band wanting to make money. Right?

I see your angle, but that's a false dichotomy. I'd feel way better knowing the band is getting a cut and it's not all going to WB. I hate to see inflating vinyl costs, but products are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. $75 for this is looney. But I don't think those who choose to pass on it are morally superior to those who decide its worth it. Interesting thing to debate, though!

Edited by Arizona_Is_The_Reason

8 minutes ago, Arizona_Is_The_Reason said:

I see your angle, but that's a false dichotomy. I'd feel way better knowing the band is getting a cut and it's not all going to WB. I hate to see inflating vinyl costs, but products are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. $75 for this is looney. But I don't think those who choose to pass on it are morally superior to those who decide its worth it. Interesting thing to debate, though!

I don't think it's about being morally superior. The manager lied at first on VC. And the band could press -more- at a decent price then more fans could get it and they could still make a profit. 

27 minutes ago, SirNarwhal said:

This whole ordeal really makes me not want to support Mutemath ever again especially after Paul tried to come after me on Twitter yesterday for calling the pricing absurd...

It's true. I have the screen shot to prove it. He came off like a dick. Then deleted it.

18 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

I don't think it's about being morally superior. The manager lied at first on VC. And the band could press -more- at a decent price then more fans could get it and they could still make a profit. 

That seems like the logical solution, unless the pressing limit was a part of the agreement. Why wouldn't you press more? They'd probably be sold out already if they'd done 2000 @ $35. 

16 minutes ago, Arizona_Is_The_Reason said:

That seems like the logical solution, unless the pressing limit was a part of the agreement. Why wouldn't you press more? They'd probably be sold out already if they'd done 2000 @ $35. 

speaking of, does anyone know how much of the pressing has sold thus far?

So many salty people. Price is crazy tho. If it's too expensive , don't buy it. If they shelled out that much money they will go on clearance eventually (rich kids will not allow this to happen). 

We have no idea how much this actually cost them to do. It could have been a lot. It could have been a little. 

From FB:

"Hey all - Paul here

First of all, I want to thank all Mutemath fans for being one of the most dedicated groups of folks a band could have in their corner. So many of you have been there since the very beginning and have allowed us to be a part of your lives through this music for the past ten or so years. I can promise you we've never taken lightly the fact that anyone would reach into their pocket to part with their hard earned money and willfully place it in our hands so that we can live a dream. It's something I've had long drag down/knock out arguments with managers, labels and agents alike since we started doing this full time. It's certainly not the most flattering part of running a band.

I'm fully aware of the debate that has started over the price of this vinyl repress. Quite honestly, it had started over a year ago behind closed doors in our camp during countless conference calls when we first made it a mission to figure out how to pull off an official repress of the S/T vinyl for the 10th anniversary and stop seeing fans forced to pay upwards of $300 for it. I won't burden everyone with the bullet points, but I hope you can trust me when I tell you this issue mattered and still matters to us. 

All I can most meaningfully say at this point is Thank You. To the fans who graciously bought one of our most prized pieces of work that started this whole thing for us and were willing to kick in the extra amount which, quite honestly, will go straight to us, the band: we and our families are eternally grateful. So now we'll get back to work, and promise to keep you posted on the progress of the new album which is coming along swimmingly.

Much love and have a happy holiday everyone!"

Just an fyi. I saw it and thought I'd share. I'm not defending or condemning. It is what it is. 

45 minutes ago, highfives said:

Did they say they could actually press more than 1,000?

no, but my issue is if they really wanted to fight the flippers they should have pressed more copies for a decent price so everyone that wants one has a shot at getting it. Not limiting it to just 1000 with a certain high price point which itself creates a "hype" around a limited piece which causes a demand that a flipper can fulfill, once these sell out. They could have also limited the purchase to one per customer "to fight flippers" as well. 

8 minutes ago, thefavoriteplay said:

no, but my issue is if they really wanted to fight the flippers they should have pressed more copies for a decent price so everyone that wants one has a shot at getting it. Not limiting it to just 1000 with a certain high price point which itself creates a "hype" around a limited piece which causes a demand that a flipper can fulfill, once these sell out. They could have also limited the purchase to one per customer "to fight flippers" as well. 

Let's just buy the rest and hock the fuckers

Surprised it actually didn't sell out before lunch time. Unlike other groups of fans I've interacted with or observed (too creepy?), the hardcore MM fans are pretty hardcore...and that's coming from a huge fan. I didn't buy bc that's definitely too expensive for me..it's also coming out in the last month of the year when my record budget is already blown.

Wish I could buy it and support these dudes and there families. Having met them, I'm always happy to buy their tunes, go to a show or two and chat with them. That's why, although pricey, I can't imagine them making a cash grab. I think some fans seeing it as a really personal album or it's the only album they really like. Bands sell VIP tickets to shows, or have special VIP merch...in this case, it just happened to be their most popular album AND it's treated as a "VIP item".

I'm kinda salty about the price but when I think about how it "could" have happened, maybe it's a classic "Cartel Chroma Situation" but in reverse? Maybe they could have added some random recordings to essentially add value without having to create some physical? Maybe WB was so disinterested in Mutemath's attempt to press the record that did in fact milk it and charge more for what they saw was WB losing money? There could have been a "point of no return" where MM (who I believe is independent) spent so much of their own money trying to make everything work, they had to release it this way?

Wish we could have some more info about the whole ordeal but these are my hot takes.

Bummed that it could really be the final press though but as I finish a post that's too long, I just need to move on and put on a record and smile.

20 hours ago, tagruato said:

I talked to Paul and Darren about this earlier this year and they laughed at that rumor. They said the only thing they lost in Katrina was the original art. They actually asked me that night if I'd buy a repress with different cover art lol.

Side note: They also said that Roy had the most copies of the first press out of any of the band members and joked that all the copies on eBay/Discogs are his haha.

How did you get to know them personally?