PO: NOTHING - Guilty of Everything LP

A couple of years ago, reading through RIYL (MBV, Slowdive)  I came across Airiel listed and checked their discography out.   I found them very listenable, but also kind of ...forgettable....nothing bad, just no hooks to keep me coming back. Ride's Nowhere is like that, too (and they were 1st generation).

Can you pin down why you think they're one of the best iyo?

They sort of kept the flame going after the 1st gen. was dying out, but I like this newgaze a lot more.  Loud, swirling (distortion) guitars up front with dreamy vocals and barely audible lyrics buried in there.

well, i can't really change your opinion with words. but i can say that i discovered them in 2009 and i thought the same exact thing. they were decent, but they did kind of remind me of Ride, who i don't care for; however, they released an EP called Kid Games in 2012 that is really amazing and they changed things up. there are a lot more synths and female backup vocals. that EP allowed me to go back and appreciate the older songs, specifically ones like "Shirley Temple Tidal Wave."

i have also found that they are a much better live band, more so than Whirr and Nothing. they've been around since the 90s, so they really know how to work their pedals, play super loud, and remain crystal clear. this is something Whirr and Nothing kind of fail it. they play loud, but its just loud and distorted to the point of not really being able to hear anything. when i saw Airiel, i felt like i was underwater. when i saw Whirr and Nothing, i felt like i was being punched in the face with heavy static noise.

before anyone takes my post the wrong way, i appreciate all three bands equally. i just believe that Airiel is one of the best and most underrated gaze bands still around. Whirr and Nothing succeed at playing darker/slower gaze (which i prefer). but, when they attempt to play more upbeat songs, it does nothing for me. i turn to Airiel for the positive stuff.

so, if you haven't checked out Kid Games, give it a listen (if you have, ignore all of this). i bought it used for like $8. they also have a new full length coming out this year, and i'm willing to bet it'll be their best work.

so, if you haven't checked out Kid Games, give it a listen (if you have, ignore all of this). i bought it used for like $8. they also have a new full length coming out this year, and i'm willing to bet it'll be their best work.

Ah, I don't recall that issue at all?? This was a while ago, so it looks like a revisit is in order, as I respect your reviews. 

They definitely were more indie, upbeat -pop sounding to me, very clean guitars/instruments and I questioned the "RIYL", but they did have that shoegazish, heavy-reverb, faux-British accent vocals thing going on, especially the male vocals.

Will definitely look them up again  (I used to keep notes on all the bands I lisened to, each track sometimes, some weeks it was like drinking through a fire hose, and it helped to remember stuff like this).  When I was trudging through Nadja and Aidan Baker's anthology of >50 works last year, I took notes, especially on the ones that felt like they might be growers.

Daydreamer was the immediate hook for me, and I would pay $8 for Kid Games in a minute.  Their sound had changed/ grown some from the earlier releases to my ears.  Let us know when their new one comes out!

glad to hear that they had somewhat of a better impression on you. i'm sure that EP will grow on you, along with the previous four EPs if you give them a chance. i would avoid their first full length album, the battle of sealand, though. something about it just isn't right.

i'll be sure to make a new topic or something whenever they reveal PO details

Could I bug you for a photo?  Catching them at the end of the month and would like to have an idea of how much cash to bring.

Sorry Derek! Was at the show last night and didn't take one. I should have. Here's the rundown:

They have four shirt designs($20 each), 2 LP variants($20 each), a tour print($15) and the CD($10).

Do you know if the shirts were the same ones they're selling online?

Two of the shirt designs they're carrying are already available at cold cuts merch:

http://www.coldcutsmerch.com/products/nothing-guilty-of-everything-shirt

http://www.coldcutsmerch.com/products/nothing-dig-shirt

Third shirt design(tour dates are on reverse):

rLsqW3Z.jpg

Fourth shirt was black with white font on the front, same idea as  the "God in men, souls are spent" design they have at cold cuts. Can't remember what it says but it isn't any lyrics I recognized from GOE and it didn't catch my eye.

Tour print(19"x25"):

EuMV691.jpg

They also have Buried Under a World of Roses at their table. Didn't ask about price or variant business for that.

Thanks, duder.  I was mainly asking for a photo of the print, and you delivered.  I don't know where or when I'd wear it, but part of me really wants that third shirt design.  Is it printed on American Apparel?

Shirt is printed on Alstyle. I recommend getting a size up from your normal. I have the "Dig" shirt(also Alstyle) and a Large fits me like a medium.

Damn, I dig that shirt and the print quite a bit.  Thanks!

I can't remember if anyone posted this, but I figure a repost wouldn't hurt either way.  Nothing covering Low, it's really damn good : https://wearenothing.bandcamp.com/album/in-metal

I bought it a couple of weeks ago, can't remember if posted here or not, but it's great. Thanks for linking it up, J!