Post Your Record Storage Area

1 hour ago, YouTwo said:

I've been trying to find baskets like that for my 7" forever but I can never seem to find the right size.  Where did you get those?

Those look very similar to small "milk crate" style ones that Target sells, which are perfect for 7" records. I have the white ones but they come in black and other colors.

This is the link to the large 12" crate but they sell 3-4 packs of the small 7" size ones: http://www.target.com/p/milk-crate-storage-bin-room-essentials-153/-/A-51393827

Edited by richardsurf

On 3/30/2017 at 11:19 PM, adamha21 said:

I want the Art Pepper :)

It was a birthday purchase, by far my most expensive LP ever for the time, at $100. There's one on the Bay right now for $300, about the same condition as mine. Go wild!

3 minutes ago, Holo said:

Shit's retarded. Just click the top part of the box that it time stamped and backspace with that selected and it usually goes away on my end

Quite right. Thanks for the advice. I swear I tried that, but I guess not.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:58 PM, Cpen5311 said:

As someone who just moved from Pittsburgh, I would love to know what Jerry's was like in the 90s!

It was huge, and there was so much stuff it would make me want to puke. Of course, they had more expensive stuff, but the standard stuff that goes for $15-20 now was everywhere for $5 each. That woulda been about 1996 or 1997.

I don't know how big it is now, whether they've downsized or whether they've been able to keep up. I was driving through last year and tried to stop, but we got there right at 6:00, which is when they close. Bummer.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:55 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Ah yeah okay you're right.  I was looking at the picture and reading it and it was late so I was half-asleep, and for some reason I was taking it that he meant he had 2 different tube amps, one for each season.  I was like "why do you need different tubes for different weather...." lol. 

Correct. I do have some Teslas and some Mullard (reissues). I think they both run about the same temperature. :)

The Rowland is Class D, so it's slightly warm. Since I'm in the attic, when the sun is out it's just too hot with the tubes glowing. But at least it gives me something to look forward to in the fall.

On 4/1/2017 at 1:27 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

C) What's your favorite Dead era? 

There's good stuff from almost every era, though you have to fight harder to find it in, say, 1984 or 1995. For example, most 'heads don't care that much for 1987, because shows were short, but the spring of that year is on fire and I love it too.

I'm where most people are: I love much of 1969, 1973-4, and 1977, but I didn't see them in the Keith years, so later stuff like the best of '88/'89 and all of early 1990 still speaks most to me. My first GD show was 4/22/83. Lots of people love the GD for the jams, and I do too, but I really came to them for the songs, so Phish and the other "jam bands" don't do anything for me. I respect their playing, but their best songs are not even in the same league as an average GD tune — for me, at least. I have no interest in telling others what they should or shouldn't like, but I'd rather listen to a great songwriter like John Hiatt, Leonard Cohen, Josh Ritter, David Ramirez, etc. over Phish, Blues Traveler, or even the Allmans. If I just want to hear great players I usually listen to jazz. For live music I usually see local stuff so I can support young up-and-comers.

If you haven't done so yet, everybody should check sofarsounds.com. It's the real spirit of live music in over 300 cities around the world.

5 hours ago, phantomtides said:

There's good stuff from almost every era, though you have to fight harder to find it in, say, 1984 or 1995. For example, most 'heads don't care that much for 1987, because shows were short, but the spring of that year is on fire and I love it too.

I'm where most people are: I love much of 1969, 1973-4, and 1977, but I didn't see them in the Keith years, so later stuff like the best of '88/'89 and all of early 1990 still speaks most to me. My first GD show was 4/22/83. Lots of people love the GD for the jams, and I do too, but I really came to them for the songs, so Phish and the other "jam bands" don't do anything for me. I respect their playing, but their best songs are not even in the same league as an average GD tune — for me, at least. I have no interest in telling others what they should or shouldn't like, but I'd rather listen to a great songwriter like John Hiatt, Leonard Cohen, Josh Ritter, David Ramirez, etc. over Phish, Blues Traveler, or even the Allmans. If I just want to hear great players I usually listen to jazz. For live music I usually see local stuff so I can support young up-and-comers.

If you haven't done so yet, everybody should check sofarsounds.com. It's the real spirit of live music in over 300 cities around the world.

Right on!  Yeah there's good stuff in every era.  I've grown in my appreciation for the songs now as I've gotten older.  They've almost become a religion unto themselves, whereas when I was younger it was all about "WHERE THE 30-MIN DARK STARS AT?" lol.  But now you play me Box of Rain, Candyman, Days Between, Foolish Heart... and I'm in tears.  So much feels there.  If i had to pick an era though, it would be Europe '72 because you had Keith on piano slaying EVERYTHING, and then Pigpen was still rocking the B3 organ. 

I'm more of a Phish fan for the jams, because you're right... very different things.  Phish is more of a progressive rock band than the soulful art thing that the Dead did.  The Dead had this depth of spirit that nobody will ever touch.  Phish is just different.  Their jams are much more rock-based and they don't really do the weave like the Dead did; it's all about building tension so that you can accent the "one" when it comes back around.  The Dead weren't about that.  The Dead ignored the "one".  Hence, the weave. 

But yeah, Trey is a jedi and his Hendrix-and-Metheny-on-LSD take on guitar is probably my favorite thing ever haha.  At least when he was younger... he doesn't breathe fire like he used to.  Too self-conscious, and hates playing fast now.  So it goes. 

5 hours ago, phantomtides said:

Right on!  Yeah there's good stuff in every era.  I've grown in my appreciation for the songs now as I've gotten older.  They've almost become a religion unto themselves, whereas when I was younger it was all about "WHERE THE 30-MIN DARK STARS AT?" lol.  But now you play me Box of Rain, Candyman, Days Between, Foolish Heart... and I'm in tears.  So much feels there.  If i had to pick an era though, it would be Europe '72 because you had Keith on piano slaying EVERYTHING, and then Pigpen was still rocking the B3 organ.

I'm more of a Phish fan for the jams, because you're right... very different things.  Phish is more of a progressive rock band than the soulful art thing that the Dead did.  The Dead had this depth of spirit that nobody will ever touch.  Phish is just different.  Their jams are much more rock-based and they don't really do the weave like the Dead did; it's all about building tension so that you can accent the "one" when it comes back around.  The Dead weren't about that.  The Dead ignored the "one".  Hence, the weave. 

But yeah, Trey is a jedi and his Hendrix-and-Metheny-on-LSD take on guitar is probably my favorite thing ever haha.  At least when he was younger... he doesn't breathe fire like he used to.  Too self-conscious, and hates playing fast now.  So it goes. 

They pictures are still a little blurry for some reason but whatever...

I am thrilled with my new media console.  It was built by a guy named Adam (www.karmadeefa.com).  If you live in TN and need a record shelf or any custom furniture you should 100% hit him up.  I also posted a few other angles of my living (record) room as well as my main storage unit :P

bPsy9U.jpg

odohQN.jpg

This is my main record shelf which was given to me by my grandmother. 

GiRKfW.jpg

lLCwC0.jpg

iVgTmk.jpg

dnl, if you are asking for suggestions for record dividers as a gift for vinyl addict, I'd say you should think of another gift idea- it seems he doesn't need dividers for his collection. :P

If you were asking for yourself, I would recommend making your own. You can buy thin wood for pretty cheap and most hardware stores will make simple cuts for you for free (or a few dollars) and you can use paint or markers to make the letters. Or you can buy one of those $20 packs of plastic dividers and print out a design for each letter and glue/tape that design on to the tabs.

Edited by richardsurf

• jhulud locked this topic