Sleepmakeswaves - Love of Cartography (vinyl available via AUS shipping)

Try coming to NYC and paying anywhere from $9-16 for a typical craft draught or bottle in a restaurant/bar when you can go next door to the bodega and pick up a six of the same for $15.

Hurts.

i've literally paid $12 for a 330ml bottle of canadian club & dry before

but yeah we do make good wages. i'm on like $23 at my entry level retail job, shit owns

• 1 month later...

This release is incredible y'all.

I repent in ashes and dust (and bought the mp3's after 3rd listen), though cannot afford yet another overseas, Oceana 2xLP.  

They have topped "...aswde" in my book with all the positive energy a la Caspian, and the necessary ebbs to recoup from the soaring highs this album delivers. 

YMMV

I'm not gonna deny that I'm a sucker for the loud, crescendo-ing - what some might refer to as generic - post-rock, so in my opinion this new album is very good, because it does that style very well. I'm gonna wait for Amazon to get a copy of this, because there's no way I can justify $45 for a new, in-print album.

That's fairly impressive in my books.

So what about that track they debuted a month or so ago? You know, the one we collectively agreed was a total snoozefest? Is it the only blemish on the record, or did we all just have a change of heart?

Truth be told, I never listened to the single they put out. I only started listening to this as the full album yesterday, but if that song was "Great Northern," then yes, that's the sole blemish on the record. That song really is not very good at all imo.

That's fairly impressive in my books.

So what about that track they debuted a month or so ago? You know, the one we collectively agreed was a total snoozefest? Is it the only blemish on the record, or did we all just have a change of heart?

"Something Like Avalanches" sounds better within the context of the album.

There are a couple of filler tracks but overall the album flows nicely & has a couple real powerhouses. I agree that it's pretty straightforward post-rock, but really well done. It feels like a perfect maturation of the band.

Will probably give this a chance with an open mind, later this evening. Trying not to set any high expectations since I'm a little done with crescendo-core at this point. But I typically agree with the majority of you as far as quality post-rock is concerned, so it's hard to not be a bit eager.

my thoughts exactly. prepared myself and am streaming this very moment.

edit: nope. not for me.

If I were in a headbanging mood, or feel the need to drown in sorrow, alcohol, self-deprecation or gnaw at old wounds, I would probably go to another album.

This is instrumental music that is, for the most part, uptempo (often 100 bpm or better), composed of  mostly major chords and keys with the tremolo picking, of course guitar driven, not mathy or diffcult/complex, decent drumming ... and even more subjective:  very uplifiting, 'positive' to even soaring in places, catchy, interesting, and could easily have passed for a Caspian release, yet doesn't sound exactly like any group in particular, nor subscribe to one of the standard postrock formulas.

It's not a 10, but I guess after some letdown followup releases, this one was a direction I was happy too see, and glad to go along with them - even though I can't justify the vinyl cost.