2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

http://www.basickrecords.com/news/view/basick-to-release-vinyl-albums-from-sikth-and-circles-for-record-store-day-2014

139513504240b5a1741e.jpg

Death of a Dead Day adds to a must have list growing at a silly rate for me.

Yeah, some Sikth is awesome to see, hopefully The Trees..... gets a press eventually but I think this one was the better call (less interludes, probably more well known singles). Is this only going to be in the UK though? I'm trying to find a record store near me that carries this, definitely a MUST HAVE for me and the coolest thing I've seen planned for RSD!

Anyone in San Diego doing RSD?

Yeah, I'll likely do Record City again like I have the last few years. Maybe get there earlier though. Last year I was in line about 8:00 (they open at 11) and maybe 6 or 7th back from the front. By the time I got in the things I wanted were gone. First few people in line were either flippers or hard core collectors as each walked out with a stack of wax that was a so big it became a cube. 

Yeah, I'll likely do Record City again like I have the last few years. Maybe get there earlier though. Last year I was in line about 8:00 (they open at 11) and maybe 6 or 7th back from the front. By the time I got in the things I wanted were gone. First few people in line were either flippers or hard core collectors as each walked out with a stack of wax that was a so big it became a cube. 

Aw that's lame! You should do M Theory they limit the number of copies people can get to 1 a piece during the initial crowd let in.

I'm def going to head to Record City after M Theory though

Yeah pretty sure Record City does limit people to one copy of each release as well.  Often stores will only get a couple of some releases. And seems like there are always the campers who will grab one of each of the items to stores get less than three of.

I did M Theory for the very first RSD through 2011 (missed 2009). It has gotten nuts there and the crowds seem a bit bigger. Lately I just prefer Record City but wouldn't say one is better than the other. They both have their up and down sides. Have you ever tried any of the north county stores? I wonder how Lou's or Spin would be.

Yeah, some Sikth is awesome to see, hopefully The Trees..... gets a press eventually but I think this one was the better call (less interludes, probably more well known singles). Is this only going to be in the UK though? I'm trying to find a record store near me that carries this, definitely a MUST HAVE for me and the coolest thing I've seen planned for RSD!

Yes, it'll be UK only, but Basick will eventually sell the left overs on their site.

Yeah pretty sure Record City does limit people to one copy of each release as well.  Often stores will only get a couple of some releases. And seems like there are always the campers who will grab one of each of the items to stores get less than three of.

I did M Theory for the very first RSD through 2011 (missed 2009). It has gotten nuts there and the crowds seem a bit bigger. Lately I just prefer Record City but wouldn't say one is better than the other. They both have their up and down sides. Have you ever tried any of the north county stores? I wonder how Lou's or Spin would be.

My buddy @attackconquer has been to Lou's, I can't remember if he liked it or not. Cow Records in OB is pretty good, I'd say they have more exotic used titles than Record City.

LOS ANGELES (MARCH 18, 2014) In celebration of Record Store Day, Jampol Artist Management, Inc. will be releasing special vinyl editions from five of our iconic artists. The Doors, Ramones, Otis Redding, Rick James and Henry Mancini will all be honored with special limited-edition vinyl releases in conjunction with Record Store Day 2014. For a list of participating stores, please visit www.recordstoreday.com.

“We wanted our artists to have a special presence in stores for this,” says company president Jeff Jampol. “All of our artists released their music in actual record stores, and we want that spirit to live on, in a place where music fans gather, shop, talk about music and experience it together.”

Jampol Artist Management, Inc. manages rock legends The Doors, Ramones and the Estates of Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Tupac Shakur, Peter Tosh, Otis Redding, Henry Mancini and Rick James. The firm also serves as consultant to the Estate of Michael Jackson. Dedicated to the re-introduction of timeless art through modern means, JAM, Inc. develops, preserves, protects and enhances the work of iconic artists and reaches out to successive generations of music fans. Using new distribution channels, new technology, and other emerging resources, JAM, Inc. cultivates the recordings, images, writings and other creations of their clients in order to keep them circulating in the cultural bloodstream.

Full details on all titles are listed below:

Ramones – Meltdown with the Ramones

10” colored vinyl - 5,000 navy blue copies (U.S) & 2,800 pink copies (ex. U.S.)

Side A:

1. I Just Want To Have Something To Do

2. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Side B:

1. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend

2. Questioningly

$14.98

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

2-LP translucent amber-swirl colored vinyl

Reissue of the revered 1972 compilation

5,500 individually numbered copies (3,000 U.S. & 2,500 ex. U.S.)

$27.98

Rick James

12” vinyl

2,500 numbered copies

Both tracks previously unreleased

Both mixed by John Morales for M+M Productions

Side A:

You And I (Extended M+M Mix) (9:40)

Side B:

Fire And Desire (Live) with Teena Marie (19:50), Live In Long Beach, CA July 30, 1981

$21.98

Henry Mancini And His Orchestra – The Pink Panther

1-LP pink colored vinyl

50th Anniversary Edition of the classic film score

$24.98

Otis Redding – Pain In My Heart

1-LP

50th Anniversary Edition

Limited edition of 5,000 individually numbered copies (3,000 U.S & 2,000 ex. U.S.)

Original LP artwork. Audio pulled from original mono tapes. Mastered by Bernie Grundman. 180-gram vinyl in mono - pressed at RTI. Old school tip-on jackets printed at Stoughton. Limited edition foil stamp numbering.

$24.98

Pretty Lights announced he will be releasing a double 10" of unreleased tracks from the ACMOTS sessions!

Listen to one of the songs, "Lost and Found" here:

https://soundcloud.c...-lost-and-found

And the ODESZA Remix here:

https://soundcloud.c...-lost-and-found

Both of which can be downloaded for free here:

http://prettylightsm...lost-and-found/

Here is what he posted:

The Hidden Shades is a special limited edition Pretty Lights vinyl set to be released April 19th - the wonderful day that is Record Store Day! I love record stores and Record Store Day especially and I’m quite happy to be participating in the global holiday and hopefully starting a yearly PL tradition. 

The Hidden Shades will consist of two 10″ records with a total of eight tracks. Side A&B consist of the last four unreleased tracks that I produced for A Color Map of the Sun that were not part of the physical or digital album. I love these tracks, and I’ve been anxious to get them out since ACMOTS came out. The samples were recorded during the same sessions and the songs were produced along with the other 16 already released tracks. The hauntingly beautiful “Lost and Found” is among the unreleased tracks. 

Side C&D consist of four remixes, one remix of each of the unreleased PL tracks. The remixers featured on the 10″ are some of my favorite producers/duos and it’s awesome that they are part of this release. They include the incredibly talented Emancipator, ODESZA, Blue Sky Black Death, and Love & Light. The “Lost and Found (Odesza Remix)” is featured on the Divergent movie soundtrack. 

The design is also a super fresh part of the vinyl release. All of the artwork for the release was created from beautiful photos and photo art submitted by followers and participators in the PL Instagram project, #plpix. Inside and out the double vinyl is filled with amazing pieces from fans around the world. 

Get The Hidden Shades double LP at participating record shops on Record Store Day April 19th 2014.

Tracklist: 

1. Lost And Found
2. New Moon Same Dark
3. Starlit Skies
4. Can’t Contain It
5. Lost And Found (ODESZA Remix)
6. New Moon Same Dark (Love & Light Remix)
7. Starlit Skies (Emancipator Remix)
8. Can’t Contain It (Blue Sky Black Death Remix)

Cake Box Set??? 

I checked their website which confirms it is coming....(wasn't there too long ago)

http://store.cakemusic.com

...but it doesn't mention RSD!

I wonder if this will also be made available from their website....which is pretty typical of CAKE.  They sold the 7 inch set and colored variant of their last record exclusively from their website.  My thought (and hopes) is that they are releasing 900 copies for RSD (so you can grab it at an actual store), but more will be available directly from their website.

Again...I hope so, because this release will cause people to riot the store. 900 simply is not enough and I want a F'n copy of this without paying Ebay prices.....the fine folks from Cake probably have better sense than to exclude the 5,000 other people that want this!  I just wish CAKE would tell us before RSD so I don't spend my left nut on this on Ebay!

Cake Box Set??? 

I checked their website which confirms it is coming....(wasn't there too long ago)

http://store.cakemusic.com

...but it doesn't mention RSD!

I wonder if this will also be made available from their website....which is pretty typical of CAKE.  They sold the 7 inch set and colored variant of their last record exclusively from their website.  My thought (and hopes) is that they are releasing 900 copies for RSD (so you can grab it at an actual store), but more will be available directly from their website.

Again...I hope so, because this release will cause people to riot the store. 900 simply is not enough and I want a F'n copy of this without paying Ebay prices.....the fine folks from Cake probably have better sense than to exclude the 5,000 other people that want this!  I just wish CAKE would tell us before RSD so I don't spend my left nut on this on Ebay!

That would be amazing (and ease the stress on RSD). 

I just shot them an email. I'll let you know what their response is. 

Bad news for Neil Young fans:

Neil Young and Warner Bros. Records have announced that they must delay the release of Young's upcoming Neil Young Official Series 2 Vinyl Box Set, which was intended to come out on Record Store Day, due to several other projects that Young has in the works that he wishes to focus on. A November release date for the set, which includes the classic albums Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's The Night and Zuma, will be announced soon. Rest assured, it will be worth the wait! 

GET ON DOWN AND TRAFFIC ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATE RECORD STORE DAY 2014 IN GRAND (VINYL) STYLE WITH FIVE UNIQUE RELEASES, CELEBRATING PUNK, FUNK, HIP-HOP AND R & B!

For this upcoming Record Store Day (Saturday, April 19th) we have a wide range of musical inspirations, from hardcore punk, classic funk and vinyl junk(ies): The JBs; TAANG! RecordsEric B. & Rakim; DJ Andy Smith; and Eilon Paz’s Dust & Grooves coffee-table book.

Various TAANG! Records: The First 10 Singles

Taang-6.jpg

Ten 45s + 24-song CD, with 24-page book. This deluxe set features early work from Gang Green, Slapshot, The Lemonheads, Moving Targets and more [TAANG! Records / Get On Down]

To celebrate the pioneering label’s 30th Anniversary, this special edition 7-inch / CD box includes TAANG! Records’ first 10 singles, originally released between 1984 & 1988 on the legendary Boston-based punk label. Housed in a deluxe outer box, each 7-inch is featured in a full re-creation of its original jacket. All musical selections are also found on a 24-song CD included in the set. And as the icing on the cake, the set boasts a 24-page book with rare photos and liner notes by label founder Curtis Casella. The set is hand-numbered and limited to 2,000 worldwide.

Taang-7.jpg

From snot-nosed Gang Green anthems like “Alcohol” and “Terrorize” to the Lemonheads’ melodic, proto-alternative “Glad I Don’t Know” and Slapshot’s instant mosh-pit creator “Same Mistake,” these 10 groundbreaking singles are what made TAANG! an undeniable force to be reckoned with.

Taang-5.jpg

TAANG! Records [an acronym standing for “Teen Agers Are No Good!”] was formed in 1984, as an outgrowth of and support system for the explosive Boston punk and hardcore scene that produced SS Decontrol [sSD], DYS, Jerry’s Kids, the F.U.s and so many more. Like its counterpart in Los Angeles, SST Records, each new TAANG! platter unleashed a sonic fury and inventiveness that made the ‘80s one of the most unique musical decades of the 20th Century.

Taang-8.jpg

As Casella says in the set’s liner notes, “There was no real record label [for punk music] in Boston at the time. At least none that I felt were representing Boston properly. That’s where I stepped in.”

The JBs Food For Thought (Get On Down Edition)

150-gram vinyl, with poster and exclusive bonus purple vinyl 45 (“The Grunt, Parts 1 & 2”) [People Records / Get On Down]

JBs-Blog-3.jpg

This 1972 reissue of perhaps the jewel in the crown of James Brown’s People Records label is pressed on 150-gram vinyl, features a ‘70s style Stoughton jacket, and is housed in an 8-gauge custom bag with an embossed People Records logo. Also included in this deluxe offering: a 22” x 22” poster of the original cover art; and a bonus 45 of “The Grunt, Parts 1 & 2,” pressed on purple vinyl.

This will be the first of several People Records releases coming from Get On Down in the next year or two, so stay tuned for more!

Eric B. & Rakim “Paid In Full” [uK 7-Inch reissue, with Coldcut remix]

7-Inch with full-color reproduction of rare original, UK-only “100 dollar bill” cover art [Get On Down / 4th & Bway]

Untitled-2.jpg

This reissue of the UK version of Eric B & Rakim’s Paid In Full 7-inch features the “Mini Madness” Coldcut remix in its entirety. This edition of the 45 was only released in the UK, where the Coldcut remix hit #15 on the charts. The song kick-started the international career of Israeli singer Ofra Haza and was the first time British voice actor Geoffrey Sumner’s line, “This is a journey into sound,” was sampled. The 7-inch is housed in a full color reproduction of the original “100 dollar bill” cover art.

Untitled-1.jpg

DJ Andy Smith’s Jam Up Twist U.S.A.

Seven 45s with collectible case and 8-page book [Cultures of Soul via Traffic Entertainment]

Jam-Up-Twist-3.jpg

Cultures of Soul’s Deano Sounds and DJ Andy Smith have teamed up to put out a great compilation of ‘50s and ‘60s sounds, including R&B Rockers, Rockabilly, Northern Soul and Sleazy Shakers, just like you would find at Andy’s popular Jam Up Twist club night in the UK.

DJ Andy Smith is a well-known British DJ who spent many years DJing alongside Keb Darge at Madame JoJo’s, and also sourced samples for Portishead and the Prodigy. Deano Sounds is the head of Cultures of Soul Records as well as a Boston-based DJ and lover of rare soul and R&B.

Together here they have selected classic and exclusive tracks from their collections including the rare northern soul track “Ever Again” by Gene Woodbury, classic Rockabilly from Eddie Cash and Sonny West, a handful rare of R&B tracks – some of which are re-issued here for the first time, including Ernie Washington and Willie Jones, and many other greats.

Jam-Up-Twist-1.jpg

The 45 box set version comes in a heavy collectible case with 7 x 45s; an official 21” x 7” Jam Up Twist club night flyer; and an 8-page glossy book.

Photographer Eilon Paz’s DUST & GROOVES: ADVENTURES IN RECORD COLLECTING coffee-table book

Dust-Groove.jpg

“The Official Book of Record Store Day 2014”[Dust & Grooves Publications]

Eilon Paz’s stunning 416-page book illuminates over 130 vinyl connoisseurs and their collections in the most intimate of environments — their record rooms. Photographic essays by Paz, the founder of the popular Dust & Grooves blog (www.dustandgrooves.com), are paired with interviews to illustrate what motivates record collectors to keep digging.

The book features a foreword by the RZA; an intro by Jeff “Chairman” Mao; and interviews with Gilles PetersonFour-TetThe Gaslamp Killer and many more.

The book is divided into two main parts: the first features 250 full-page photos, framed by captions and select quotes. The second consists of 12 full-length interviews that delve deeper into collectors’ personal histories and vinyl troves. The book is printed on thick, 170 GSM matte art paper and was designed by the award-winning Brazilian studio 45JJ.

The subjects of Paz’s book span the globe, from New York City and Los Angeles, to Japan, Turkey, Germany, Italy, Israel, Ghana, Paris, London and numerous locations in-between.

Been getting into Taang! stuff recently, so that set is looking pretty nice. I can't find some of the singles on discogs though. Like all I can find of Negative FX is an album and the only single I can find by Lemonheads with the song mentioned is listed as having been put out by different labels.

I shit my pants when I saw the picture of SikTh on vinyl. Then I cried a bit since it's UK only. Ah well, I will get it, eventually. 

So far, that would've been the only album worth getting me to a store on the 19th. So now, I'm back to not going, which is probably for the better. I hate crowded areas. I like going to the record store right when they open and it's just me looking around, the owner, and usually one other employee (a chill guy I went to high school with).

The TAANG! Records box set and Eric B. & Rakim single reissue look amazing. I'll have to check the Get On Down website to see if they'll be available online.

I'm hoping they later release the TAANG! titles seperately as this is only one I really want... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152091224584775&set=a.10152091224164775.1073741864.45121499774 397518_10152091224584775_571806668_n.jpg