2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

Man, I can't believe how much less busy all your record stores seem to be in the US. I turned up at 3.30 am, and was 62nd in line!

Still, I managed to grab Scott Pilgrim and FC2 Blood Dragon - The only two I really wanted.

Super regretting not buying the LP/JZ record though, and wishing that they had the Gambino record in the UK, but no such luck. 

You weren't at Banquet were you?

nostalgia first of all. fans of the film love it. it glows in the dark. it's collectible, especially being a 30th anniversary tribute. Bill Murray. pretty much just awesome all around. For the original cost ($15-$20) it's just a cool thing to own regardless of whether or not you're going to play it regularly.

Novelty, nostalgia, personal connection to the movie and desiring things affiliated with it. I think a lot of people would say it's 'cool to have'.

oh okay, thanks guys for the serious replies *thumbs up* that makes total sense.

I guess when I think about it, I buy records because I plan on listening to them but I'm sure there's a big segment who are more collectors and then a mix of both

Between my sister picking some things up for me from Park Ave and the two stores I went to locally I managed to get almost everything I wanted:

Ramones 10"

Street Dogs / Noise split

Tim Timebomb x3 LP

Nirvana tribute

Devo / Flaming Lips

Green Day

Notorious BIG

Poison Idea / Pantera

RPM Turntable Football

Scott Pilgrim

Pixies Indie City

The only things I really missed out on were Ghostbusters, Cake boxset, and farcry.  Very fucking happy with my haul!

SCORED:

Circa / SDRE Split

Dads - Woman

OFF! - Learn To Obey

Bonobo - Get Thy Bearing

Tears For Fears 10" (got this solely for the Animal Collective cover)

Disclosure - Apollo (not a big fan of a single song 12" but eh)

Joy Division - An Ideal For Living (one for me, one from another store for the girlfriend)

THE FIELD - FROM HERE WE GO SUBLIME YES YES YES OH GOD YES

Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions

Non-Violent Femmes

Space Project Boxset! (and a Space Project 12" for a coworker who basically worked my shift today)

NON RSD STUFF:

OFF! - Wasted Years
Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall
Dead C - Harsh 70's Reality (the guy working said he was glad someone was finally buying this, he ordered 3 for the store, kept one for himself and this one languished)
Vampire Weekend S/T
Some Tuxedomoon thing because I keep seeing their name and I was impulse buying at the moment
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Some random shitty demo tape called Fuck You, Pay Me

Glad with my haul but it ain't over!

Here's what I got

Placebo - Ball of Eyes (I had no idea this got reissued and I was excited to find it.)

Built to Spill - Ultimate Alternative Wavers

The Space Project 7" box

The Black Angels - Watch Out Boy 7"

Dinosaur Jr - Visitors 7" box

Conor Oberst/Dawes - Split 7

Conor Oberst - Hundreds of Ways 7" (Test Press)

Conor Oberst - Hundreds of Ways 7"

meKaRay.jpg

Plus, I grabbed this print from a local artist at one of the record stores.

Z2ROOfx.jpg?1

That's what I was thinking. I wanted to go to banquet but I queued for over four hours last year and couldn't be bothered today.

I got to banquet at around 6.30 and can only guess I was between 150th and 200th in line. Didn't get into the shop until 10:30. Was a bit gutting slowly watching them sell out on the twitter feed of 90% of what I wanted.