WHIRR / NOTHING 12" Split from RFC NOW!

jhulud

Listening to the split on Spotify now. So fuckin' good. Altogether as one piece of music, it's cohesive and a great window into Whirr and Nothing have different styles but still overlap each other in some sounds and textures. 

I can definitely hear some of that Will Yip production sound mostly on the Whirr tracks. 

Listening to the split now.  Both Whirr songs are very solid, but it's shocking to hear how dominant and clear the vocals are placed in the mix.  Can't wait to hear instrumental versions the next time they tour.

[edit]

Gotta' reiterate what jrodan said – Chloroform is the takeaway jam here.  Can't wait to hear where Nothing go with their next album.

Interesting that, contrary to general opinion, the lack of female vocals didn't harm their mojo. It actually made them sound even better.

I don't know about that.  I actually prefer their Distressor sound more – especially the female vocals.  Later Whirr almost sounds like a different band in comparison, but both sounds work for me.  I'd just gladly take Loren over Shy Ronnie if given the choice, personally.

What I meant was, I guess most of us believed that the thing with the band was the contrast between harsh, loud guitars and the sweet, fragile female vocals, which surely played a major role in Distressor. When you guys mentioned that they were performing live with a single vocalist, it sounded like they were going against their main quality and would perhaps lose what could be their best point. But both Sway and now the split shows that they were not either able to surpass the lack of a female vocals but to maybe sound as an even better band, at least to my ears. Both of their latest releases are amongst my top 5 records from 2014.