A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

What do you guys do to prepare for longer runs, if anything? I'm finding my legs are holding me back. They're sore long before I get tired. I don't know if eating before runs or stretching or something will help it, or if I just need to keep running and that'll slowly get better

I just did a 5K and I'm currently sitting at my kitchen table recovering/dying. I haven't ran for years. I used to be in super good shape when I played soccer at a very competitive level, but I quit a few years ago and never made an effort to keep up my fitness. That will hopefully change now. Time to shower.

I just did a 5K and I'm currently sitting at my kitchen table recovering/dying. I haven't ran for years. I used to be in super good shape when I played soccer at a very competitive level, but I quit a few years ago and never made an effort to keep up my fitness. That will hopefully change now. Time to shower.

Nice! now you just have to keep it up!

You'll thank yourself later. I played sports year round in high school and then when I went to college stopped playing sports and didn't do anything but school. At the end of my Freshman year I started working out and that slowly shifted into running. Now I run all of the time and I'm so glad I'm active again. It's funny, I hated running just to run when it was a punishment or conditioning for a sport. Now that it's the only thing I do, I absolutely love running. Funny how that works haha

What do you guys do to prepare for longer runs, if anything? I'm finding my legs are holding me back. They're sore long before I get tired. I don't know if eating before runs or stretching or something will help it, or if I just need to keep running and that'll slowly get better

A couple questions:

How often are you running and at what distance/pace?

What do you do for recovery?

If you eat before running what does that entail?

Do you stretch? How long and how often?

Seriously, what you describe should be pretty easy to solve so lets figure it out. A piece of advice i got that has been a huge mantra for me:

The mind wants to quit before your body does.

The first bits of fatigue are more mental than physical as a general rule. I'm not advocating to ignore your body but understanding the mental struggle we take on when we push our limits is huge. Fill us in and we can get you some thoughts.

(Forced myself into an off day yesterday and this morning. 7-8 miler tonight)

I've been running about 5k at about a 5:30 per k, so fairly slow compared to the rest of you. The reason I don't go further, like I said, isn't because I'm breathing hard, it's my legs that seem to get tired well before anything else. I barely stretch, and i don't do recovery because it's a relatively short distance. I try not to eat for a bit if I know I'm going for a run.

Ok - if you aren't getting winded then I'd examine a couple things:

1. Think about stretching before and after. I'd also toss in some active recovery after each run - walk an extra mile to train your muscles. 

2. If you are getting a lot of soreness consider getting a stick to use both before and after each run - I've had a ton of success with it. I am a 3x knee surgery guy so as I was correcting the imbalance in my stride I had major issues with my calves. This helped a ton.

3. I'd think hard about what you have on your feet. You might have either too much or too little cushioning. 

4. Finally, you might just be at a plateau. I'm not going to ever tell someone to hurt themselves but getting over a hump and into a new level of fitness sometimes entails a bit of discomfort. This is the last thing to think about before you discuss the stuff above. Personally, I had to force myself to run more than four miles. It eventually clicked. 

If you are getting serious pain then you need a doctor to consult but I think in good news you are going through the growing pains everyone does. 

Curious how the others in here view this. 

My legs were never a problem until I could run a little longer. I start getting some irritation around 5 miles and some noticeable pain around 7 miles. I don't go much further than that so while I've always assumed I could train past the pain, I've never actually tried.

Long story short, I'm no help here.

I'm in Asics Gels. I gave up on Nike Free Runs except for the Treadmill. I am eyeing Mizuno Wave's or Brooks Adrenaline's next. I have heard some awesome stuff from a couple marathoners recently on the Mizuno's. 

In the end it's all about your foot and needs. I need a lighter shoe with a bit of support. Kinvara's, which are a staple for many, tore me up like no other shoe. Meanwhile a friend hated the same Asics that I'm loving. If your shop has a treadmill I'd run at least a half to full mile in each. 

There was a good article on this in the latest issue of Triathlete. It might be on line otherwise go read the page at a news stand.

Ran 7.2 last night and got up a 6 this morning for an easy 3.5 mile recovery run. T Minus a week to race season and I have no idea if ill do fast or slow miles on my runs. Upshot is this time last year I wouldn't have even finished so I'm way ahead with my "A" races starting in August.

Stay strong gang. I'll hopefully share a new purchase this weekend too.

So amazons doing a promo where if you sign up for their fashion news letter, you get 20% off clothing, including shoes. I just snagged a pair of mizuno waves and saucony triumphs for $150 shipped to Canada!

Sweet! I've been in need of a new pair of shoes, will probably jump on this. Not sure what to get though...to the internet! haha