PO: Slint - Spiderland Box Set

My copy shipped yesterday morning and will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. Going to get drunk and watch the documentary without loud assholes sitting in front of me.

Mine came yesterday and I popped it open as soon as I got home. It sounds noticeably different than the previous old master (especially when you compare it to the original CD which was what i was most used to listening to it on for the past 20+ years). The drums sound better, there's more mid range and the highs and vocals aren't so hot. I really liked it but it will take multiple listens to get used to it. My gut instinct though is that this is WAY better sounding than the original edition.

The booklet is really nice full of great old photos. I like the way the entire thing was packaged. I haven't played the extras record yet or watched the movie but I can't wait until I have the time to do that, hopefully later this week. 

The thing was pricey but holding the finished product in my hand and listening to it completely justified the price to me as it is one of my favorite records of all time. 

There really isn't a bad thing I can say about the original master or pressings. It's still one of the most dynamic records I have listened to, remastered or not. I can't say this release is necessary for anyone who isn't crazy. I would probably just settle for the original.

Thing is gourgeous. Excelent presentation, weights a ton. deVine's utterly care is all around it.

My only restriction is the option for those nests which hold the CDs/DVD, they're annoying to take the CDs from.

Although filled with interesting rehearsals and demos, a live recording of a Spiderland era gig would nail it down, but perhaps there wasn't any recording available?

Anyways, an expensive pleasure but worth every penny IMO, being a comprehensive and very well put together homage to this essential album.

With all due respect, you guys can't possibly think the set is worth the $150. An endulgence that you had to have and you are happy you own no matter the cost? OK, but "worth every penny"? C'mon.

And I don't hold it against anyone that owns it despite the price tag, it's your money, your life, your happiness. I have things I've overpaid for, but I don't pretend I didn't overpay.

Trying to track down a copy of this for a gift but it's out of stock on both Amazons. Anyone know of someplace I could find one that's not eBay or Discogs?

I saw one on RSD at a local store here in DC. They do mail order through their website. Give it a shot. www.crookedbeat.com

Edit: I poked around the website and didn't see it. I would give them a call.

Thing is gourgeous. Excelent presentation, weights a ton. deVine's utterly care is all around it.

My only restriction is the option for those nests which hold the CDs/DVD, they're annoying to take the CDs from.

Although filled with interesting rehearsals and demos, a live recording of a Spiderland era gig would nail it down, but perhaps there wasn't any recording available?

Anyways, an expensive pleasure but worth every penny IMO, being a comprehensive and very well put together homage to this essential album.

There are live recordings including early versions of Spiderland songs without vocals, just nothing anyone would want on vinyl. The quality is weak. Cortez the Killer is the best quality live recording from that era I have heard.

With all due respect, you guys can't possibly think the set is worth the $150. An endulgence that you had to have and you are happy you own no matter the cost? OK, but "worth every penny"? C'mon.

And I don't hold it against anyone that owns it despite the price tag, it's your money, your life, your happiness. I have things I've overpaid for, but I don't pretend I didn't overpay.

I'm still trying to convince myself the price was worth it. The product is amazing but I could have bought the 11 LP Jesus and Mary Chain box (or something equally expensive) for just a little more than what this costed. Oh well. This album is the greatest.

I still wish Numero did this. Jeremy did a decent job but everything feels kind of cheap compared to my Codeine box which was less than half the price and included 3 more LPs. The quality of the box itself is weak and leaves too much room for stuff to move around in it.

• 2 weeks later...