Albums (or Bands) You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Don't Get

dawhizz

Lorde

Try being from New Zealand and not liking this rubbish. People just think you're weird here if you're not into it but I don't see the big deal at all. Just sounds quite generic to me. Someone recently tried to sell of some lyrics she wrote on a piece of paper but funnily enough there were no buyers so looks like she's already going down in a lot of peoples opinions in NZ

Swans, NMH, Guided by Voices, and Godspeed should grow on you like Slint, Hum, Mogwai and Codeine did. Some of the best bands ever (to the point where it's hard for me to understand you not liking them when you like Slint and stuff). I don't see how any of those bands have bad followings besides NMH though.

As much as I hate it, sometimes it's not always the music that determines whether or not I like a band. Like even though people can draw huge similarities between a band like Slint and a band like Swans, the way the members go about doing things is really different. And what really sucks is when a band's following completely ruins my ability to like the music. (Definitely Neutral Milk Hotel, everything else is okay I guess.) Sometimes I can't get into a band if I think they have a stupid name, or if I think their album cover sucks. It's a shame that non-musical things can get in the way of the music for me, but that's the way it is.

Bands like Swans, GY!BE, etc. definitely have some appeal to them from my point of view, so I can see myself coming to appreciate them a lot more than I can a band like Brand New or Neutral Milk Hotel who, as of yet, seem to have to appeal to me whatsoever. But that's the cool thing about music, you grow into stuff. 15 year old me would be flabbergasted by some of the stuff I listen to now.

I saw Emmure open for Misery Signals once. The crowd got so much better after they played and all the flat brim hats filtered out. I was outside smoking right before Emmure played and there were two teenagers (probably like 15-16) telling two cops that they were scared to go inside because "FSU is in there beating people up." FSU was not there and no one was getting beaten up. That's what Emmure is, kids almost getting a show shut down because they're crying to the cops about something that isn't really happening.

Tool.

Oh, God.

I am so, so glad I got really into them on my own, because the fanbase is a fucking cess-hole. Makes it damn near impossible to enjoy any of it without imagining some greasy 20-something getting a third-eye face tattoo.

Of course, you just might not have dug the music. And that's cool.

Oh, God.

I am so, so glad I got really into them on my own, because the fanbase is a fucking cess-hole. Makes it damn near impossible to enjoy any of it without imagining some greasy 20-something getting a third-eye face tattoo.

All of this.

They're okay, but the hype behind this band is ridiculous. I almost can't get behind them for that reason.

But APC sounds a lot better to me.

Oh, God.

I hate pretttttty much every bands' fanbase. I like listening to music:

1) In my car where I can sing along and look like a goon to people I pass.

2)At my home where I can sing along and look like a rock god (or goon, whatever) to my dog.

3)I always think I'm going to enjoy going to a show, but I just end up getting pissed off at how rude most people are because I don't drink like I used to.*

*I hate most people, even though I deal with them all the time for my job.

I hate pretttttty much every bands' fanbase. I like listening to music:

1) In my car where I can sing along and look like a goon to people I pass.

2)At my home where I can sing along and look like a rock god (or goon, whatever) to my dog.

3)I always think I'm going to enjoy going to a show, but I just end up getting pissed off at how rude most people are because I don't drink like I used to.*

*I hate most people, even though I deal with them all the time for my job.

But you deal with dead people all day. They shouldn't be talking back or verbally abusing you... shouldn't being the operative word here.

So you really are just like David Fisher or Federico.

I'm watching Six Feet Under and thought of you.  Or perhaps I'm watching Six Feet Under because your job reminded me of that show. 

It's a good show! It's like that...but less glamorous(?) I guess. I love my job though.

And there is no Ruth in real life ( I hope). Genuinely could not stand that character

And I will take your suggestion with the black keys and check that album out

Oh yeah, part of why I love that show is because really ALL of the characters are somewhat hateable. Fucking...Claire, David, Peter, Rico, Ruth, Brenda...all of them. (those are the ones I just remember off the top of my head, haven't watched that show in at least 8 years.

I'm going to rewatch it soon though, I promise!