Do you ever buy records just to flip?

Guest Timbo_Slice

Please elaborate how it's VC's fault that this is a ridiculous question. I'm fairly certain bands/labels aren't pro-flipping either.

It's quite obvious the op is new and posted in the wrong forum to begin with. The question has been asked endlessly on here but sometimes people just want a quick answer. Of course labels aren't pro-flipping and for the sake of sounding trite i'll cut it short. We all know some press limited lp's with good intentions while it's just easy quick sales for others. I mean we can argue semantics endlessly but I can flip a northern soul 45 for $400+ and no one would care.

It's quite obvious the op is new and posted in the wrong forum to begin with. The question has been asked endlessly on here but sometimes people just want a quick answer. Of course labels aren't pro-flipping and for the sake of sounding trite i'll cut it short. We all know some press limited lp's with good intentions while it's just easy quick sales for others. I mean we can argue semantics endlessly but I can flip a northern soul 45 for $400+ and no one would care.

Having a large 60's collection, I totally agree. Is it not flipping after a certain age? While I rarely sell, I do when I want to purchase something, or recoup some funds. If I can get top dollar, why not? Just like the Northern Soul, Garage is similar. 

I understand why flipping is frowned upon, especially here within the "community," but vinyl is vinyl. When I've bought records to sell for a profit (doesn't happen often and not for much money) I usually put that money into records I actually want, because most of my disposable income is spent on vinyl because I'm dumb. Making ten bucks off a record is nothing when I'm spending 4-5 times that much in a given month on things I genuinely want to have.

I also don't care about flippers because 1) having rare variants is cool but I never spend more money for them and 2) I don't feel entitled to be able to afford all the records I want. Get that paper, Timbo_Slice, and if that means you gotta profit off of pop-punk teens then go for it. Just limit that to ebay and discogs, because you'll get torn a new one on here.

I understand why flipping is frowned upon, especially here within the "community," but vinyl is vinyl. When I've bought records to sell for a profit (doesn't happen often and not for much money) I usually put that money into records I actually want, because most of my disposable income is spent on vinyl because I'm dumb. Making ten bucks off a record is nothing when I'm spending 4-5 times that much in a given month on things I genuinely want to have.

I also don't care about flippers because 1) having rare variants is cool but I never spend more money for them and 2) I don't feel entitled to be able to afford all the records I want. Get that paper, Timbo_Slice, and if that means you gotta profit off of pop-punk teens then go for it. Just limit that to ebay and discogs, because you'll get torn a new one on here.

Exactly my thoughts. 

One of my 3 year olds favorite 7"s is my copy of The Mob "Step Forward". I've been offered 150 for it. I let him put it on and off and place the needle. Nothing about that record (one of my favs) has ever given me more satisfaction than sharing it with him. Maybe Im nuts but I know 99% of folks on here wouldn't let their kid do that to a "valuable" record. They really mean shit without the sentimental value they accrue from connection to the music or object and sentimental value doesn't accrue in a frame or unplayed on a shelf. This shit has been stated way too often. Buy for the music and sell if you don't listen to it and all will be well in the music world.

I've never bought something with the sole intention to flip, but if a variant I buy becomes valuable in the aftermarket I have no problem parting with it. I don't think there's anything in my collection that couldn't be bought for the right price. I'm not sentimental over variants, if something is just plain hard to come by and it's one of my favorites it would be harder to part with than if it was just a different color or something.

I understand what you're saying, however the OP phrased the question as, "How long should I wait before I put a high demand record on eBay to make the most, what's the most you've ever made (and how can I make a similar profit)?" Selling old, very obscure records is one thing, buying/preordering new releases with the intention of selling them at a higher mark-up is another. That's what is commonly shunned around here. Perhaps that's a double-standard, but I don't see how that 'morality' is elitist, or a flawed characteristic of this community. It's nothing personal against you, I'm just getting tired of this whole, "Vinyl Collective sucks and I'm going to go there and talk about how much I hate it and blame everything I don't like on people I don't know," crusade. It's died down a bit (a few of those pioneers- who will not be named, haven't been posting lately and oddly enough, everyone has been getting along better).

Sorry to take this off topic and rant, but nobody is really learning anything from this thread that they shouldn't already know.

Guest Timbo_Slice

Sorry to rock the boat. I figured people on a Vinyl Collecting message board would be able to talk about economics, supply and demand and market fluctuation as it relates to their interests as well as their interest in "the hobby". Either way, I'll stick with talking about interesting records I'm excited about and none of the structural mechanisms that determine cost/scarcity/desirability, etc. 

Sorry to rock the boat. I figured people on a Vinyl Collecting message board would be able to talk about economics, supply and demand and market fluctuation as it relates to their interests as well as their interest in "the hobby". Either way, I'll stick with talking about interesting records I'm excited about and none of the structural mechanisms that determine cost/scarcity/desirability, etc. 

it's no use talking about economics on here... trust me. and i would still refrain from calling it "collecting," at least on VC. some people simply buy music that they like, and it amounts to a collection, but i think collecting sometimes implies investment, and a lot of people don't see it as such. some people also don't have record players and instead hang their vinyl on their walls. so that's upsetting, but beside the point.

anyway, people get all worked up about this shit, but when it comes down to it, nobody is going to change anyone's mind on anything. people can mouth off all they want and be pissed off about flipping, but people who flip are going to flip, and toki is not going to be able to stop them.

my advice to you: if you're going to resell a record shortly after you bought it, don't tell VC. if it's been a couple of months, then no one gives a shit. it's a pretty stupid dichotomy, but you kind of just accept it for what it is.

if i missed out on a record, and some fuck is selling it for double, while he has multiples, yeah...im gonna kick him in the face.

This happens all the time! I hate this. I want a record to listen to, not to make money off of. My old boss does this. He is the ultimate hipster that has an opinion on every band. And his opinion is right (in that big head of his). He buys records to brag about them and then he flips them. FUCK RECORD FLIPPERS.

you guys should watch rehab addict. she admits she's a flipper, but she's also "not your average flipper." she's also hot. i feel like i had a point before i started writing this, but...

Well, house flipping is a different thing. She admits that her intent is to support herself and her kid by buying dilapidated houses, rennovation them, and selling while incurring minimal cost.

The difference between her and those shitty flippers of the early 2000s flipping boom is that she buys historically significant homes and renovates them to something which resembles period correctness. She clearly does this to preserve history and neighborhoods, not to get rich.

PS I too find her extremely attractive and that strong Midwestern accent is hot. But I'm not into lean lanky runner bodies like she has, so she's better looking when all dolled up, not in a tank top.