PO: Strung Out Volume 1

kadaver

I just listened to STWB and could not believe how different some of the songs sound.  I put on my original copy to compare while I read the new liner notes by Jake, and unless I'm reading them wrong at least his guitar parts on the reissue of STWB are different from the ones on the original copy.  It seems most of the tracks on the new copy use guitar parts Jake recorded at Rumbo Recorders, while the original used guitar parts Rob recorded at Fat Planet.  It makes me wonder if any other alternate tracks were used on these.

I just listened to STWB and could not believe how different some of the songs sound.  I put on my original copy to compare while I read the new liner notes by Jake, and unless I'm reading them wrong at least his guitar parts on the reissue of STWB are different from the ones on the original copy.  It seems most of the tracks on the new copy use guitar parts Jake recorded at Rumbo Recorders, while the original used guitar parts Rob recorded at Fat Planet.  It makes me wonder if any other alternate tracks were used on these.

That explains the difference. I must have glossed over that part in the liner notes.

Well damn. Now I want an OG copy for sure if that's the case.

I don't doubt their incompetency, but are you sure you weren't given the wrong tracking number?

It's probably the correct one. Fat's mailorder is pretty good and I had another release from them a while back get sent to Bell Gardens, CA and then to somewhere in Ohio and then back to CA to my house.

As long as it eventually shows up it's fine, I just wanted to make sure they didnt lose the package.

So I got this today and I have mixed feelings about this. For the most part it's a cool set. The vinyl is nice and top notch (although I haven't spun them yet) and I'm pretty sure they'll sound good like most stuff from GZ on my turntable. I really like the remixed Another Day In Paradise and Twisted By Design. The bonus tracks on Twisted By Design are two tracks I always thought should have been on the album in the first place. I'm surprisingly lukewarm about the new Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues mix, but I still prefer the original. I kind of wished that was the only one not remixed and just received a remaster. Also surprisingly Skinny Years was not remixed (but it was remastered) and I kind of don't know why it really could have used a remix IMO. 

Whats kind of lame is I don't know where the $90 price point comes from. The colored vinyl is cool, but the jackets aren't gatefold and they're still single LP's. Theres the DVD but still it was steep for what it is. I guess I hate to compare it to the Lagwagon set but everything about that set is so much better between the extra LP per album with bonus tracks, gatefold jackets, bonus 7", and excellent remastering. That was a sure home run. I just felt this could have been better.

So I got this today and I have mixed feelings about this. For the most part it's a cool set. The vinyl is nice and top notch (although I haven't spun them yet) and I'm pretty sure they'll sound good like most stuff from GZ on my turntable. I really like the remixed Another Day In Paradise and Twisted By Design. The bonus tracks on Twisted By Design are two tracks I always thought should have been on the album in the first place. I'm surprisingly lukewarm about the new Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues mix, but I still prefer the original. I kind of wished that was the only one not remixed and just received a remaster. Also surprisingly Skinny Years was not remixed (but it was remastered) and I kind of don't know why it really could have used a remix IMO. 

Whats kind of lame is I don't know where the $90 price point comes from. The colored vinyl is cool, but the jackets aren't gatefold and they're still single LP's. Theres the DVD but still it was steep for what it is. I guess I hate to compare it to the Lagwagon set but everything about that set is so much better between the extra LP per album with bonus tracks, gatefold jackets, bonus 7", and excellent remastering. That was a sure home run. I just felt this could have been better.

I think they are just trying to figure out how much collectors will pay for these things.  Fat and everyone else has slowly bumped vinyl prices pretty high from where they were 10 years ago.  I'm sure it's due to manufacturing costs and blah blah blah.  But mostly they are playing the supply & demand game pretty fucking good.  Just like eBay, things are worth what people will pay for them, and if you haven't noticed, eBay BIN prices are completely retarded nowadays.

If the Lagwagon box came out next month it would be a lot more than what you paid for it last year.

Real Estate for example; You could say your house is worth more today than it was 10 years ago because of inflation or 'The Market', but in reality it is a hoax.  The reality is that real estate agents, brokers, etc just want to make more money.  They continue to attempt to drive up prices in order to achieve more gain.  When they hit the apex of their greed, and people stop throwing money at houses, the 'bubble' bursts and they have to start over again.  All while they continue to make money, albeit at a lesser rate.

The vinyl bubble has yet to burst because people continue to buy no matter the cost.

If nobody bought the Strung Out box set what would happen?  It would eventually go on sale?  Probably, and Fat would still make a (lesser) profit.  But I bet Vol. 2 would not be priced the same.

Opened mine up today, spinning TBD first (the album that got me into the band) and this remaster sounds awesome! About halfway through it, everything has more definition and the guitars sound much more distinguishable between the channels... This is an awesome set.