Well Kept Secret: Sony TA-AX380 Receiver

just snagged this guy and wow. this thing is amazing. super clear and powerful, and goes for very cheap resale. its rated at 130W Per but im thinking its closer to 100. Still powers these MTX AAL-2230s and Polk Monitor 60s very well. at under 100 dollars average resale, .08% Harmonic Distortion and a solid amount of inputs and outputs, this thing kicks ass. i highly recommend snagging one of these if you ever get the chance.

The beauty of audio is your opinion is completely dependent on your personal exposure to other things.  Until you hear better than the Sony, this Sony will be the best amp you've ever heard.  This is why when people you don't know say, "This is the best _blanky blank_ I've ever _blanked_!" it doesn't mean anything. Unless you know what they've owned or have been exposed to, it's meaningless.  Enjoy your Sony but know there's much better out there.

The beauty of audio is your opinion is completely dependent on your personal exposure to other things.  Until you hear better than the Sony, this Sony will be the best amp you've ever heard.  This is why when people you don't know say, "This is the best _blanky blank_ I've ever _blanked_!" it doesn't mean anything. Unless you know what they've owned or have been exposed to, it's meaningless.  Enjoy your Sony but know there's much better out there.

im happy with it, for the amount of power i need for these speakers and the low budget i have, its the best i can do within budget. any nicer one with this much power would run me in the upper hundreds.

A lot of those lower end amps high power amps really only have two outputs that are shared between the A and B speaker sets so if you do drive four speakers they really want to be the same otherwise things go out of balance and that power does drop.

Also they do tend to massage the output figures a bit using peak power or a derivative rather then proper RMS

I currently have a TA-AX390. Without hearing the 380, I'd imagine the two are pretty close in quality. I can say that mine is just okay, and without a doubt is the weakest link in my current setup (AT-LP120 and Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs). 

Seriously considering moving up to a Marantz PM6004, since they can be had a decent discount right now on Amazon. 

• 8 months later...