Moving large quantities of vinyl long distances.

Alright folks, i'm planning a move cross country (Florida to Oregon) and i'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting all my records cross country. I think i'm probably going to pay for some kind of freight rather than a u-haul since i'm going to take my time during the trip and want to be driving my own car.

Anywho I haven't counted but between everything i've collected and the records my father passed down to me I probably have at least 5,000 records I need to move. I'm not even sure the best way to pack such a large quantity, anyone have some tips or recommendations? I was thinking of doing a pallet but i'm worried about stacking too high and damaging records on the bottom. 

Maybe some labels and/or distros have some tips?

Very sturdy boxes, especially if you plan on stacking them. Weight from height will be the biggest problem so quiz whoever is shipping it on how they are going to overcome the obvious problems, if you make them think about it they are going to take more care.

Consider the weight in a single box and think about it some more as you are probably going to ask someone else to do all the moving for you.

Consider the length of time it will spend in those boxes and if it's a long time think about temperature and humidity changes etc.

Also if you haven't got it all catalogued on somewhere like Discogs then do it, you can do an export to Excel with values to use for insurance.

Very sturdy boxes, especially if you plan on stacking them. Weight from height will be the biggest problem so quiz whoever is shipping it on how they are going to overcome the obvious problems, if you make them think about it they are going to take more care.

Consider the weight in a single box and think about it some more as you are probably going to ask someone else to do all the moving for you.

Consider the length of time it will spend in those boxes and if it's a long time think about temperature and humidity changes etc.

Also if you haven't got it all catalogued on somewhere like Discogs then do it, you can do an export to Excel with values to use for insurance.

I was actually hoping I could load a pallet myself and have them pick it up. I trust myself stacking them more than some random freight employee. Not sure if that's possible though.

Any recommendations on particularly sturdy boxes?

I was actually hoping I could load a pallet myself and have them pick it up. I trust myself stacking them more than some random freight employee. Not sure if that's possible though.

Any recommendations on particularly sturdy boxes?

Sorry I'm in the UK so probably couldn't suggest anything you would be able to buy over there but I do remember a post on discogs where people were talking about the same issues, try a search on there to see if it throws anything up, it's one of those subjects where you want someone else to have gone through all the pain for you first really.

I was thinking more plastic boxes as you wont want to stack more than 3 high with cardboard boxes and to be honest I wouldn't go more than 4 high with plastic boxes, it's a huge amount of weight.

I moved house with around 5000 LP's all in cardboard boxes that were 12.5" cubes but I moved them all myself in a few trips and it was only 30 miles or so.

You could stack some boxes on a pallet I suppose and then make a wooden packing case around that, well protected and easy to move for the shipper but with 5000 you might need more than one pallet.

yeah you'll definitely need more than one pallet.. i think the most ive received on one was in the 2k range.

also..its a little pricey but i'd suggest dropping a lil coin on dj road cases for your more rare/expensive stuff - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-LP-Case-CLP200P-Carpeted-DJ-Vinyl-Road-Case-Holds-200-Records-LPS-CLP200-/290926767714?pt=US_Rack_Cases_Hard_Cases_Bags&hash=item43bc962e62#ht_4109wt_1109  i have a couple of these i use for festivals and they work great

I was thinking more plastic boxes as you wont want to stack more than 3 high with cardboard boxes and to be honest I wouldn't go more than 4 high with plastic boxes, it's a huge amount of weight.

I moved house with around 5000 LP's all in cardboard boxes that were 12.5" cubes but I moved them all myself in a few trips and it was only 30 miles or so.

You could stack some boxes on a pallet I suppose and then make a wooden packing case around that, well protected and easy to move for the shipper but with 5000 you might need more than one pallet.

Do you know of a particular plastic types of boxes that works well for LP's? I'm most worried about the sturdiness of the boxes and if I could find some reasonably priced, stack-able, heavy duty plastic ones that would be preferable. 

Bags Unlimited has some decent plastic boxes...too lazy to look for a link. They aren't "cheap" but they are pretty sturdy imho.

When I moved from FL to AZ I just got the Uhaul boxes and loaded the back of a van. The stacks were 2 high at the most...I moved at least 2k records, most of those were LPs spread out over 18 Uhaul boxes.

yeah you'll definitely need more than one pallet.. i think the most ive received on one was in the 2k range.

also..its a little pricey but i'd suggest dropping a lil coin on dj road cases for your more rare/expensive stuff - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-LP-Case-CLP200P-Carpeted-DJ-Vinyl-Road-Case-Holds-200-Records-LPS-CLP200-/290926767714?pt=US_Rack_Cases_Hard_Cases_Bags&hash=item43bc962e62#ht_4109wt_1109  i have a couple of these i use for festivals and they work great

Thanks for the info. I actually have a bunch of plastic bins from target that fit records perfectly but they aren't sturdy enough for bulk shipping. I'm just going to pack up a few of those with my more expensive/rare stuff and bring them in the car with me.

When you receive bulk orders on pallets how are they typically packed? How high approximately? I'm guessing it was a bunch of smaller cardboard boxes packed with 25-50 records, stacked and the whole pallet wrapped tightly with plastic wrap? 

Are the records typically stacked in the boxes horizontally on top of eachother or vertically? (i've seen a bunch of debate about this one, i'm leaning towards packing them upright, side by side)