Homemade Slipmat

So I also made my own cork slipmat, but I am still having static issues. Anyone else have this problem? When I go to flip the record, the cork mat will stick to the bottom just like the felt mat used to do. I use an anti-static brush before and after I spin my records, and I often have a humidifier running so I know it isn't just dry air.

I really think I'm going to break down and buy a Acryl-it. I can't do slipmats anymore.

So I also made my own cork slipmat, but I am still having static issues. Anyone else have this problem? When I go to flip the record, the cork mat will stick to the bottom just like the felt mat used to do. I use an anti-static brush before and after I spin my records, and I often have a humidifier running so I know it isn't just dry air.

I really think I'm going to break down and buy a Acryl-it. I can't do slipmats anymore.

Buy some poly inner sleeves for your favourite records. Use them for a week or so. And are if that helps with your static issue. If it does, replace the lousy paper in nets that every records comes in nowadays, with poly sleeves.

Happened to me too. I'd say the static got worse. Kinda bummin.

• 9 months later...

So, I've got a rubber mat with the used player I bought. It's pretty dirty and also, I hear rubber creates static?

I'm planning on doing it DIY, just to have tried it. The cork board I'm looking to buy is 5 mm thick and the rubber mat is somewhere between 4 and 5 mm. I'm a beginner when it comes to cartridges. Do I have to adjust it in some way? Or is the <1 mm nothing to worry about?

no it shouldn't really matter but if it does or it's more than 1mm in reality then you have to adjust the VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) this involves slackening off of a screw or screws on the central vertical pillar at the pivot point of the arm, this allows you to lift or lower the whole arm so that you can set the arm tube so that it is horizontal when the needle is in the groove.

Some turntables and arms do not allow any VTA adjustment so what TT do you have?

I just bought a used Thorens TD-318 Mk II. The manual says something about "Vertical Alignment of Cartridge" - is this VTA? It says to use a mirror.

This is my first "real" player, so I'm fixing it so it will perform at it's best. It will take some time, since I'm a beginner and all I have to rely on is the internet :)

From memory that has a TP28 arm on it that you can't adjust the VTA on but if the manual says you can then have a proper read of it, look at some VTA adjustment videos on youtube and see if what the manual is telling you looks like it will have the same effect as what you see in the videos.

If your new mat is pretty much the same thickness as your old one you won't have to worry about it though

Azimuth is usually checked with a mirror not VTA. Azimuth is the angle the stylus is resting in the grooves. Youtube azimuth adjustment too and you should be able to figure out both.

Thanks man, will definitely check that out. Sounds like something from LOTR though...

I manage something on my arm by putting shims/placers between the headshell and the cartridge. Maybe this is VTA related? Or something else?

I found this site.. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/cartbasics.html