John Darnielle (The Mountain Goats) - Wolf in White Van

618ClrPbzCL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Welcome to Trace Italian, a game of strategy and survival! You may now make your first move.

Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of “Trace Italian”—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.

http://amzn.com/0374292086

not sure how long this has been up for pre-order but i just saw it and it made my day.

only bad part: street date isn't till Sept. 30

The description makes me think I would like this even if Darnielle wasn't the author, I'm double sold!

totally agree, the premise is great and the fact that Darnielle wrote it is just insurance that it'll be awesome.

also glad he's done (or nearly done) writing this because now he can get back to work on a new album...

• 6 months later...

i don't mean to overhype it -- it's certainly not a perfect story, and it could be longer (207 pages) -- but i think it'll appeal to anyone who enjoys Darnielle's lyricism and the themes/imagery he works with in TMG songs.

Oh and for a reading soundtrack i recommend Pelican or Sunn O))) or something equally heavy and droning.

Oh and for a reading soundtrack i recommend Pelican or Sunn O))) or something equally heavy and droning.

I'm already excited to read this, but the soundtrack recommendations make me really intrigued!  I'm going to start it soon.  I actually forgot I ordered a copy and it showed up in an Amazon box with some stuff I ordered recently, it was a nice surprise!

anyone else reading this? i stayed up all night, couldn't put it down. it's like the best and longest Mountain Goats song.

I'm excited; he's actually doing a reading of this tonight/book signing in town at Motorco. And the $5 entrance fee is good for $5 your copy of the book. Glad to hear it's actually a solid novel, I was going to buy it anyways haha.

• 3 weeks later...

This book is amazing. It's one of those books that kind of haunts you by the end - it's interestingly and at times oddly sequenced, but you can tell it's very purposeful. The prose is so well-written; Darnielle is well beyond the 'musician-trying-to-write-a-book' type, and it shows. The book totally fits in with the rest of his music, and stands out on its own as well. Highly recommended.