The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

Surprised that none of the reviews I've read have really picked up on the huge DEVO influence at all... the record sounds just like a lot of the stuff of their two Hardcore albums. Hell, Ty even gave them a thanks on the inner sleeve.

I was pretty meh on the Fuzz albums, so definitely glad to have this.

Totally agree on the Hardcore Devo influence. My local store just got EM and I was looking for some DEVO as well and they happened to have HCDEVO 1 - listening to the two together has been such a joy. I write reviews for a small site and am definitely going to mention DEVO. Heck - even the press/rollout for this album just screams DEVO.

Also - my copy is black but I got the sweet baby poster.

http://pitchfork.com/news/63295-ty-segall-wanders-los-angeles-in-twisted-emotional-mugger-music-video/

The Mugger video is a reflection on Los Angeles (and in general, urban plight and anxiety). Ty and I are big fans of practical/in-camera gore and effects, so this was an opportunity to experiment with those traditions. It's just important for me to use those effects as commentary (in the vein of Terry Gilliam and David Cronenberg). One thing I think is cool about the video, is that Ty and (the album's producer) F. Bermudez remixed the album specifically for the video... unlike most music videos, when you watch Emotional Mugger you are getting to hear different versions/interpretations of the music—so watching this video is not really about hearing music from the album as it's getting another experience from the Emotional Mugger dimension.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus the dude is a freak. And a freakin genius. Lol. Every performance kinda creeps me out more and more, yet i have to keep watching. Not to mention EM freakin rocks. Dude is the new Kurt Cobain. Screw mainstream traditional performance and etiquette, just go flip out on stage and watch everyones horrified reactions lololol love it  

I'm bothered by everyone's pronunciation of his name. For all I know he pronounced it "Seagull" too, but I've always read it as "Seh-gall", you know, how it's spelled. With gall like gall bladder. Like Steven Seagal's name is pronounced, although his is actually spelled with "sea". 

The seagull pronunciation doesn't really make sense to me. 

How say you his name? 

I'm bothered by everyone's pronunciation of his name. For all I know he pronounced it "Seagull" too, but I've always read it as "Seh-gall", you know, how it's spelled. With gall like gall bladder. Like Steven Seagal's name is pronounced, although his is actually spelled with "sea". 

The seagull pronunciation doesn't really make sense to me. 

How say you his name? 

This should clear it up for you:

Well like I said, he may pronounce it that way himself, and thank you for confirming, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

There's a town in Washington state called Spokane, and everyone pronounces it as if there were two Ns in there, like Anne. In my eyes, it should be pronounced Spo-cane as there is only one N. 

Oh well. Guess I should start calling him seagull.

Anyone heading to an upcoming show and feel like helping me out with some CFM merch? (Charlie's band) They didn't have any at the LA date but apparently did in Austin last night... Would be willing to offer up a green copy of Fuzz II or some cash!

PM me if interested

I can help you out for the show on March 12th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curious for those who have seen the tour, did half of his show sound like shit to you too, or was it just my venue?  Overall the show was solid, but there were probably 5 or 6 songs that sounded terrible when he played in Detroit, at least in my opinion.  They did seem to be in a jovial mood though, so I don't know if they were just fucking around, or if it was the sound setup.  It seemed like it was the sound setup to me, but thought I'd ask. 

Also, CFM was fuckin great.