The Unofficial Punk Rock Appreciation Thread

I guess they don't like this record that much, but I think it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1E8bXC6Ao

They wouldn't play any songs from it when I saw them last month ... until we begged them to come out for an encore, and they played five or six from How to Clean Everything. It was a really cool show.

Whoa that's awesome! That record is really great, but I can understand about not really loving a 20 year old album you wrote as a teenager. Bake this Bread is definitely an example of what's to come for the band because it easily could have fit in LT,MR. That's amazing that they played that many songs off it, I feel like that's unheard of. I love HTCE. I've missed them every time they've been around for one reason or another, but I can't wait to finally see them.

Y'all should check out DISHPIT! They released my favorite 7" last year. I feel like these guys both hit the nail on the head explaining them, so you should read their take. First link has a download for their demo tape and link to their Bandcamp. Second one goes DEEP and takes a more analytical look.

http://remoteoutposts.blogspot.com/2014/03/dishpit-demo-tape-2012.html

http://somedaysthethundergetsyou.blogspot.com/2014/02/dishpit-7.html

A couple of my favs are easily The Necros and Angry Samoans. Same era. 

Only this year did I understand where "Who will help me bake this bread" comes from. I read my little dude this book called "The Little Red Hen" all the time and that's one of the lines. The "Who will help me..." bit is recurring. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last week, Boston punks raised $50,000 for a memorial fund for two members of the Boston Fire Department who died in the line of duty.  The benefit show lineups were insane.

4/22 - Street Dogs, Avoid One Thing, The Ducky Boys, Lenny Lashley's Gang of One, Burning Streets, Duck and Cover

4/23 - Street Dogs, Slapshot, Avoid One Thing, The Ducky Boys, Stray Bullets, The Old Edison

Extra awesome, were all the different guest spots during the sets.  Colin of Arabia did a Slapshot song.  Sean from Penalty Kill did the Buddha part in "Drink Tonight."  Amy from Darkbuster played guitar with the Street Dogs while Lenny sang "Try to Make it Right" and "Skinhead."  Also, the Street Dogs did a Mung cover with the singer of Mung, Paul Delano.  Scruffy from Dropkick Murphys did tin whistle on "Johnny Come Lately" and "Far Away Coast."  Finally, they closed out the night with a ripping cover of "Never Alone."  It was like one giant Boston punk party.

Last week, Boston punks raised $50,000 for a memorial fund for two members of the Boston Fire Department who died in the line of duty.  The benefit show lineups were insane.

4/22 - Street Dogs, Avoid One Thing, The Ducky Boys, Lenny Lashley's Gang of One, Burning Streets, Duck and Cover

4/23 - Street Dogs, Slapshot, Avoid One Thing, The Ducky Boys, Stray Bullets, The Old Edison

Extra awesome, were all the different guest spots during the sets.  Colin of Arabia did a Slapshot song.  Sean from Penalty Kill did the Buddha part in "Drink Tonight."  Amy from Darkbuster played guitar with the Street Dogs while Lenny sang "Try to Make it Right" and "Skinhead."  Also, the Street Dogs did a Mung cover with the singer of Mung, Paul Delano.  Scruffy from Dropkick Murphys did tin whistle on "Johnny Come Lately" and "Far Away Coast."  Finally, they closed out the night with a ripping cover of "Never Alone."  It was like one giant Boston punk party.

That's awesome! I wish I could've been a part of that.

• 2 weeks later...