Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) | Have you signed up?

those people are only capable of watching fox news and reading all the chain emails being circulated.

sadly, my pop pop is one of those people. most of my family are way liberal, but he is a ridiculous republican (i clarify, because not all republicans ignore facts and operate in sarah palin/michelle bachmann land) and just sits at home all day watching fox news. he deliberately brings up obama with all of us to start arguments. at thanksgiving he started ranting about how terrible obamacare is to my dad and my dad was like 'wow, do you not care about your kids at all? both of your daughters had cancer and if either of them lost their job, witihout the ACA, they probably wouldn't be able to get health insurance.' and my pop pop got angry and was like 'WELL THATS NOT MY PROBLEM.' and at that point my dad just walked away and came to talk to me, haha.

i have to add that my pop pop was the first to want to get his medicaid as soon as humanly possible (even though he has tons of money), then was horrified to find out that it was a form of welfare/government assistance.

he also told my mom that obama got a private jet just for his dog because muslims won't travel in the same vehicle as an animal.

For some reason the website didn't believe me when I told it how much money I make. It won't tell me what/if assistance I'm eligible for unless I send them a bunch of documents. I would very much like to go to the doctor, but there's no way I can get the shit I need before the end of the month and I can't sign up until I know if I can actually afford it. I'm poor, Obama, I swear.

If Obama had actually gotten a private jet for his dog I would FDR that motherfucker with a 3rd term.

I'm really glad this topic was started as I've been researching this for a few days now.  

My situation is this: I'm currently unemployed therefore have no income and haven't recorded any income for 2014.  I'm planning on getting a job within the next month as I have a few promising possibilities. I'm in a county in NC that will give me a $243 a month tax credit if I forecast my income to be $15,000 for the rest of the year.  I do need insurance as I have been hospitalized for major depressive disorder so I'm currently on a few medications.  I'm also pretty active with sports so tearing an ACL, etc. has always scared me.  My predicament comes in the form of; should I just wait it out to hopefully get on my future employer's insurance and take the penalty? If I choose to sign up should I use the entire tax credit amount, none of the tax credit, or some of the tax credit and will that hurt me next year when I file my taxes? I can't get Medicaid because NC has not extended their Medicaid program.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

dont wait for potential employment, get insured now, if your employers plan in the future is better you can opt out in November during the enrollment period for 2015.  

The tax credit, (Advance Premium Tax Credit), is simply an estimate based on your expected income.  If your income ends up being higher or lower there would likely be tax implications at the end of the year.  

Not 100% sure how the credit would work if you only carried the plan for a part of the year, but I expect that the tax credit you are eligible for would be pro-rated along with the amount used (effectively pro-rated monthly).

Those of you who are low income but are having trouble getting an APTC calcuation may be elgiible for Medicaid and, hence, not eligible for a tax credit (because you get the free ride).

Can't really comment on the effect of the act on overall insurance costs, but anyone who goes without health insurance and isn't really struggling to get by is retarded. Short of food, shelter, and water, there is nothing more critical to human life than medical care. What good is a tv or car if you have cancer and can't afford treatment?

Another factor in this is that part of why hospital costs are so ridiculous is that they have to price honest people in a way that leaves them paying for numerous people who are treated and never pay.

It ain't like the current system works. It's just not used as a political issue because no politician is gonna hit a podium and say "we should let everyone without insurance find a way to deal with it to die if injured."

I'm so fucked on this insurance thing. Every time I do my research and start shopping around for insurance I get so fucking lost that I just end up wasting a whole fucking day just sitting there staring at the screen. I've gotta find a rep to help me out before I come down with a case of the morons.

Target had insurance for part timers and it cost me about 40 a check and saved me about 300 a month just on rx. Then they dropped it this year. I'm looking at about 300 a month for platinum, which should be better than what I had. I haven't gotten the discount because there's a question I need to answer about my wife's employers insurance. I think it would be more than 300 for us to both be on hers.

I'm such an ignoramus when it comes to health care and the like. I get full medical, dental and vision through my work for about $70 taken out of each check (every two weeks) pre-tax. Is that good?

Also, what's this penalty you guys are talking about?

If you don't sign up you will have pay a penalty. It's $95 or 1% of your income. Whichever is greater of course

It has been a little frustrating for me. The long story is that I can't work at the moment while I'm in Nursing school, so I'm eligible for medicaid. Nevada is so backed up on medicaid applications that it'll take a couple months to find out if I'm even accepted. The problem is that I need insurance to be in my program, so I figured I'd buy it while I wait for the medicaid decision. Because I'm eligible for medicaid, they don't give me a tax credit on the regular insurance (which is the route I'd prefer). So medicaid is the only route I am financially allowed to go. The next option would be $190 for a $6500 deductable and no tax credit. I even called to ask if I can get a tax credit if I don't want to choose medicaid because I need insurance now.. I was told no.

I just thought it was a little funny that they'd rather try and put me on a "free ride" rather than having an alternative option like a tax credit to pay for other insurance. My biggest fear right now is that months from now I'll be denied medicaid, not have insurance for the fall semester and have to drop the program.

Confused by most of this. You seem to overlook the fact that you might have to just flat out pay for insurance for a couple months until you get Medicaid (even if expensive). Oh well. That's being an adult.

even though we changed insurance companies and our rates went up just a little bit, my insurance cost is cheaper than what I would need through ACA. Really can't complain too much except that I haven't been to the doctor in about 4 years so it seems like I'm just throwing money away. But if I drop it, I'm sure something will happen and i'll lose a finger or something.