Disney/Marvel Soundtrack picture discs LPs - Hot Topic exclusives (updated 1/18/16)

So many people complaining about enjoying something simply for the joy of nostalgia .. I don't understand it. Maybe because I put such focus on previous childhood enjoyments and the innocent, pure nostalgic pleasure they bring. The way an old Monster Hunter VHS tape found at a thrift store can take my mind from the stress and disdain of life in the present, all the terror that aging into your twenties and farther can bring, instead remembering briefly the simple excitement of enjoying entertainment in childhood. For me I cherish such catalysts. So whether it be a thrift store, ebay sellers or Hot Topic, I greatly appreciate when fate leads me to encountering such remembered joy. No matter where it's found. So even if hot topic is mainly marketing transparent Disney tshirt prints to a youth who never experienced the content they're sporting in the same way we did before they were even born, the store will always find a customer in adults like myself who greatly appreciate the value of all the commercial represses they acquire rights to market.

will buy. don't care. shut up.

Seriously, as with so many threads that get hijacked by elitist assholes who have to prove their superior musical tastes, if its not for you- move the fuck on. I can get behind the absurd pricing argument, but that's just the way things are these days. I'm not ok with it, but I'm not going to stop buying records (though I have slowed down significantly). I realize people like me are the problem, but whatever. I am pumped to own these soundtracks as I really enjoy disney movies and their soundtracks, I don't understand the need to shit on a release you won't buy. A disney picture disc being pressed isn't affecting your life in any way and if you justify questioning the release as you "seriously want to know who would buy this" you are either 1- lying and are questioning the legitimacy of the release to prove how cool you are or 2- stupid, because Disney is one of the most popular and recognizable brands on the planet and this will undoubtedly sell.

I don't give a shit what people want to buy. Hell, if Disney soundtracks are your thing, knock yourself out. I'm just weighing in because even though these are things I would never ever buy, I'm interested in their release/customers/audience since I'm interested in record collecting as a whole. It's interesting to see that Hot Topic are selling these things and that people seemingly want them. It's confusing to me, but whatever.

This nostalgia thing though. I understand it and all, but for me, nostalgia is mostly reserved for stumbling across things that used to belong to me when I was a kid. Finding toys and books in boxes in the attic, that kind of thing. I'm conscious of the fact that if someone was to re-buy a new version of something from their childhood, that thing then becomes a part of the present, rather than a relic of the past. Seems to diminish the power of nostalgia for me I guess. But whatever, as it's been stated - there's obviously a market for these kinds of things. More power to vinyl and stuff. Once again, not trolling or whatever, just interested.

I'm just really confused because you say you don't care what people buy, but then sort of state that they're wrong for being interested in rebuying nostalgic items.

You also said you were curious as to why people are buying these things and people responded. A few did get more fiesty than needed, but you did get the response you were looking for...

Sorry, I'm not phrasing what I mean too well. I'll state now that I am in no way saying it's wrong to buy these things, not at all. I just see this nostalgia type stuff around all the time but no real discussion about it. The replies were great, I'm just adding to the discussion, not trying to rile anyone up.

If a Disney Picture disc at a Hot Topic in some small town is the thing that makes a kid buy a record player and learn to appreciate vinyl or any other physical music format, then I support it.

The more records that exist, the better! Press everything!

Turn Hot Topic into a full on record store! Kids don't need baggy zipper pants and Adventure Time lunch boxes anyway!

If Hot Topic wants to press up some Kidz Bop LPs, Go for it! I always thought that Smashmouth was a little too edgy so I like when the Kidz sing it. At least it's a physical format.

Most kids today hear a song they like and don't even consider that they should buy it or try to find more songs like it. They just listen to it on Spotify until they are sick of it and move on.

All records are great!

Is Black Cauldron DIsney? Press that! I would buy that one.

Sorry, I'm not phrasing what I mean too well. I'll state now that I am in no way saying it's wrong to buy these things, not at all. I just see this nostalgia type stuff around all the time but no real discussion about it. The replies were great, I'm just adding to the discussion, not trying to rile anyone up.

Personally, I think this whole "nostalgia" thing is a load of crap...

I buy it because I want it and I'll listen to it. Don't blame your purchase on Nostalgia. Most of the older "nostalgic" albums I still listen to this day and they still play as well as they did back then. Disney soundtracks aren't Nostalgic, their timeless. 

If a Disney Picture disc at a Hot Topic in some small town is the thing that makes a kid buy a record player and learn to appreciate vinyl or any other physical music format, then I support it.

The more records that exist, the better! Press everything!

Turn Hot Topic into a full on record store! Kids don't need baggy zipper pants and Adventure Time lunch boxes anyway!

If Hot Topic wants to press up some Kidz Bop LPs, Go for it! I always thought that Smashmouth was a little too edgy so I like when the Kidz sing it. At least it's a physical format.

Most kids today hear a song they like and don't even consider that they should buy it or try to find more songs like it. They just listen to it on Spotify until they are sick of it and move on.

All records are great!

Is Black Cauldron DIsney? Press that! I would buy that one.

Earth really needs more shit to throw in a landfill.

i feel like Hot Topic probably won't be reissuing this one

b790tarbaby.jpg

WOW. I actually had this one as a kid. (I'm sure my folks got rid of it by now.) 

I'm dating myself, but I actually saw this one in the theaters during one of the re-releases. "Zippidy-Do-Da" is a damn classic. Shame about all the other connotations....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the high price is because they are picture discs.  I've seen LPs there for around $15 recently but when I saw the breaking bad soundtrack picture disc it was $28

Picture discs are just usually more expensive i think or at least at hot topic.

Also i remember going there in middle school and seeing records and being confused.  not because I didn't know what a record was but because I didn't know they still made them at the time. (middle school was like 10+ years ago)

• 2 weeks later...

Travis your OP says this will be carried in all Hot Topic stores. My local store (North Charleston, SC) doesn't carry much vinyl at all so do I have to wait for the online sale?

Hey, not to sound like a pest, but the Northwoods Hot Topic WILL be selling more vinyl! I believe they are getting rid of the CDs an going all vinyl, so that's awesome!

Hey, not to sound like a pest, but the Northwoods Hot Topic WILL be selling more vinyl! I believe they are getting rid of the CDs an going all vinyl, so that's awesome!

Really!? Thank God. Everytime I go in there all they have is Balance and Composure, and The Walking Dead lol

No worries man. Glad I found a local on here