Disney/Marvel Soundtrack picture discs LPs - Hot Topic exclusives (updated 1/18/16)

It's my understanding that plants are at capacity pretty much year round now, thanks to RSD and the compulsion to reissue every dollar bin CD that ever existed on vinyl. There is a real opportunity cost involved in dumb things being released on vinyl, it means labels and customers have to deal with delays, smaller labels and bands are hamstrung by having money tied up in records they'll be waiting months for before they can actually sell them, street dates are thrown off, distributors get frustrated, releases might get shelved or cancelled because they can't put them into production, bands go on tour without their new album because the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road reissue is out next week and Warner decided they need another 10000 copies, etc. All this drives up demand, which drives up prices, which might convince some label not to press 300 copies of that great release they were iffy about.

Then you have the big labels that clog up these pipes, who have no incentive to change what they're putting out because people eat this shit up. People will buy bad nu-metal and pop punk that was cheesy and inauthentic the first time around. People will buy brand new copies of Beatles records and Rumours and Thriller and the theme from Ghostbusters, multiplatinum records with millions of copies already in circulation. People are willing to buy records that they know they aren't going to listen to. This all serves to validate the postulation that vinyl itself is a fad and a novelty, turning people off to the format and adding fuel for the inevitable backlash.

So I think it's a bit asinine to say more vinyl (regardless of what's on it) = good for vinyl. Indiscriminately making everything into an ice cream flavor would not be good for ice cream, no matter how many people might buy ketchup ice cream.

It's my understanding that plants are at capacity pretty much year round now, thanks to RSD and the compulsion to reissue every dollar bin CD that ever existed on vinyl. There is a real opportunity cost involved in dumb things being released on vinyl, it means labels and customers have to deal with delays, smaller labels and bands are hamstrung by having money tied up in records they'll be waiting months for before they can actually sell them, street dates are thrown off, distributors get frustrated, releases might get shelved or cancelled because they can't put them into production, bands go on tour without their new album because the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road reissue is out next week and Warner decided they need another 10000 copies, etc. All this drives up demand, which drives up prices, which might convince some label not to press 300 copies of that great release they were iffy about.

Then you have the big labels that clog up these pipes, who have no incentive to change what they're putting out because people eat this shit up. People will buy bad nu-metal and pop punk that was cheesy and inauthentic the first time around. People will buy brand new copies of Beatles records and Rumours and Thriller and the theme from Ghostbusters, multiplatinum records with millions of copies already in circulation. People are willing to buy records that they know they aren't going to listen to. This all serves to validate the postulation that vinyl itself is a fad and a novelty, turning people off to the format and adding fuel for the inevitable backlash.

So I think it's a bit asinine to say more vinyl (regardless of what's on it) = good for vinyl. Indiscriminately making everything into an ice cream flavor would not be good for ice cream, no matter how many people might buy ketchup ice cream.

I love your perspective AlexH. sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but I always walk away with a different perspective on something each time. Of course on this point I totally agree with you, my only thought would be that some labels can sell a 1,000 or more copies of some shitty reissue or whatever flavor of the week so that they could finance the shit that would only sell 100 or whatever, but that's probably never how it ends up. Oh, and your father could sell a ketchup Popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves!  

Very well said

You expected that because you were ignorant. Now you're not. Lesson learned!

Well excuse the fuck out of me for not knowing everything there is to know about picture discs, especially considering this was my first picture disc purchase. I'll make sure to PM you first before I run the risk of looking ignorant again, oh wise one.

Very well said

Well excuse the fuck out of me for not knowing everything there is to know about picture discs, especially considering this was my first picture disc purchase. I'll make sure to PM you first before I run the risk of looking ignorant again, oh wise one.

I could be wrong but I think you're mad.

Also why are a bunch of grown men on a punk oriented board fiending for soundtracks designed to appeal to 7 year old girls?

Also why are a bunch of grown men on a punk oriented board fiending for soundtracks designed to appeal to 7 year old girls?

No not mad at all. I hate that some people feel the need to be dicks for no reason. Everyone else simply explained why picture discs sound the way they do, but he felt the need to try and put me in blast, which I don't take kindly to

I know this is sarcasm but maybe the reason is because we grew up on these releases. 

I really enjoy the Lion King soundtrack it is very well composed. 

I just wish this press of the Lion King sounded a bit louder, it is quite low. 

No not mad at all. I hate that some people feel the need to be dicks for no reason. Everyone else simply explained why picture discs sound the way they do, but he felt the need to try and put me in blast, which I don't take kindly to

I was being a dick? Seriously?

Do you know what ignorant means?

I'm sorry; let me rephrase  "You expected that because you were 'lacking knowledge or awareness in general'. Now you're not. Lesson learned!' 

Sheesh. I think you were ignorant and now I think you're crazy.

I love your perspective AlexH. sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but I always walk away with a different perspective on something each time. Of course on this point I totally agree with you, my only thought would be that some labels can sell a 1,000 or more copies of some shitty reissue or whatever flavor of the week so that they could finance the shit that would only sell 100 or whatever, but that's probably never how it ends up. Oh, and your father could sell a ketchup Popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves!  

SwbKHmh.gif

I can't hate, labels have to do what they can to get by. It's just this faceless reissues sold through corporate channels business that I detest. It's like factory farmed meat, it obfuscates the connection between creator and partaker, something the physical album ironically should be doing its part to remedy in the Spotify age.