Disney/Marvel Soundtrack picture discs LPs - Hot Topic exclusives (updated 1/18/16)

I was being a dick? Seriously?

Do you know what ignorant means?

I'm sorry; let me rephrase "You expected that because you were 'lacking knowledge or awareness in general'. Now you're not. Lesson learned!'

Sheesh. I think you were ignorant and now I think you're crazy.

I know full well what ignorant means, as does anyone with a 5th grade education.

So did these just come in clear sleeves?

Yes

Yes

Pretty lame if you ask me. I know they're picture discs and all but that doesn't seem to be any excuse not to have a decent card sleeves/inners etc.

EDIT: Just btw there's a thread in the Sell/Trade/Want forum with a few Disney soundtracks for sale. Just because, you know, people don't have to wait for Hot Topic to press stuff.

picked up both soundtracks and absolutely love them. looks great and sounds great as well. the fact that you guys are lamenting that some hypothetical "awesome" record of 300 copies that won't get pressed because hot topic is pressing Disney records that the large majority of the general population is interested in is ridiculous. the market for vinyl is a lot larger than the VC community.

SwbKHmh.gif

I can't hate, labels have to do what they can to get by. It's just this faceless reissues sold through corporate channels business that I detest. It's like factory farmed meat, it obfuscates the connection between creator and partaker, something the physical album ironically should be doing its part to remedy in the Spotify age.

The corporate reissues of dollar bin albums all seem like they came from some hilarious meeting too don't they? It's like some intern put together a google word cloud of vinyl buzzwords so some lazy middle manager could give a half-assed presentation on the vinyl trend. The bevy of RSD reissues that are currently collecting dust in your local record store are a huge testament to this. Meanwhile stuff that the major label owns but isn't currently thinking about sit in vaults because it wouldn't make them enough return. 

Not that I in any way think that is what travis is doing here, he may have asked or wanted to make disney splatter records and they only said was that they wanted picture discs as Disney wants the money and somehow sees that as the best way since Disney does have a history of releasing picture discs for soundtracks. I guess they are collectibles really, not so much records, i've been picking up the older ones at the thrift store for a while and will get these so that when/if I have a kid they are records they can destroy and I wont feel bad about it because they are fucking picture discs. 

Oh and to all those who think this thread is a downer: 

picked up both soundtracks and absolutely love them. looks great and sounds great as well.

Same! Listened to both last night with my girls and it was awesome, they had so much fun dancing and singing along. They are quiet, and there is an occasional pop (definitely not terrible though, only noticed it a handful of times), but it didn't matter. Probably the most fun we've had listening to records. Imagine that, the records weren't perfect but we were still able to enjoy them :) haha

I'll check my opinion on the debate at the door; however, I came across a timely article this morning I thought I would throw into the discussion:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/05/nations-largest-vinyl-record-pressing-plant-is-expanding/

The TL;DR is that Untitled Records is expanding their number of presses (which are currently running 24 hrs a day, 6 days a week) by over 50% (30 current presses, adding 16 additional).   

Same! Listened to both last night with my girls and it was awesome, they had so much fun dancing and singing along. They are quiet, and there is an occasional pop (definitely not terrible though, only noticed it a handful of times), but it didn't matter. Probably the most fun we've had listening to records. Imagine that, the records weren't perfect but we were still able to enjoy them :) haha

My sentiments exactly.  My wife and daughters loved listening to them, and we had alot of fun together.  Until I can get them jazzed about raging to Opeth, Mastodon, and the volta (might be waiting awhile for that haha), these are a good alternative for family record time.

picked up both soundtracks and absolutely love them. looks great and sounds great as well. the fact that you guys are lamenting that some hypothetical "awesome" record of 300 copies that won't get pressed because hot topic is pressing Disney records that the large majority of the general population is interested in is ridiculous. the market for vinyl is a lot larger than the VC community.

Vinyl acounts for roughly 2% of music sales, so "the large majority of the general population" is thinking "$26.50?!? It's $9.99 on iTunes! What would I even play it on?"

Can I be bummed when a vacant lot in my neighborhood turns into a McDonald's, even though the large majority of the general population is more likely to patronize it than a small business? Is it dumb to bemoan the fact that Arrested Development was replaced with Ice Skating with Celebrities, even if the latter got better ratings?

I'm lamenting the fact that the lowest common denominator dictates what is heard. Obviously, this is a pervasive theme through pretty much all of popular culture, but it's a bigger bummer in the case of vinyl. Independent thinkers and DIY artists kept vinyl alive through the 90s, and now that it's "back" entertainment conglomerates have demonstrated a willingness to ride it into the ground and then walk away unscathed. I can't blame a publicly traded company for treating everything as a potential revenue stream, but I hoped people would be smart enough to smell bullshit, and the fact that people will line up to buy $15 split covers 7"s and Dean Martin reissues and multiple copies of every Blink 182 album SUCKS to me. I don't care what people do with their money or records in general, but everyone is affected when buying habits at large convince labels they can indiscriminately pump out garbage and still make money.

By the way, NONE of what I've said so far pertains specifically to these releases, other than the fact that picture discs and splatter/swirl explosions sound like pure garbagio. I own the original Lion King picture disc, I would probably buy a Goofy Movie one. This is mostly in response to Travis' post that any and all vinyl = good.

I think I would rather have the pressing plants overworked than going out of business.

In the 90's it wasn't just the small indie labels that kept the pressing plants in business, it was also the majors with their 12" dance singles.

It's a Disney record today or a La Bouche remix 20 years ago.

I could be wrong but I think you're mad.

Also why are a bunch of grown men on a punk oriented board fiending for soundtracks designed to appeal to 7 year old girls?

When was this place ever a punk board? And yeah, I know about the Suburban Home days.

• 2 weeks later...