Seattle/Pacific NW VC

3arl

So I found out that I'm moving to Seattle for work. I know there are some Northwesterners on here and I was hoping to get some advice on good areas to live

I've gotten some input from a couple of people I know who live there, but I figured I'd look for advice on here as well.

EDIT:

Now it's just a Seattle and Pacific Northwest thread for all the VCers that are here

So I found out that I'm moving to Seattle for work. I know there are some Northwesterners on here and I was hoping to get some advice on good areas to live

I've gotten some input from a couple of people I know who live there, but I figured I'd look for advice on here as well.

I've been here for about 4.5 years now and still really like it.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it.  What are you looking for regarding an area to live?  Convenience to bars/venues?  A quieter, more family oriented area?  Do you know which area you're working in?  Let me know if you have any other questions too, I'm more than happy to help!

Yeah, Wallingford, phinney ridge, Fremont, Ballard and green lake are all nices areas with some good people. West seattles going to be more expensive. U district is cheaper/is the college area.

I have a couple friends who lived in West Seattle and I don't think it was any more expensive.  If anything, they were living in much bigger places for the same amount.  I like West Seattle, but I couldn't imagine dealing with that commute everyday.  My ex-girlfriend lived on Alki when we started dating and it would sometimes take her an hour+ to get home from downtown.  There is a great record store in West Seattle though (Easy St).

Edit : I'm not sure if things are better now that the C line has been added.

Thanks for the input!

My office is on Mercer Island, but I have to drive a lot for my job and won't be in the office that much anyway so commute isn't a big deal. The areas you guys are mentioning are the one I've been looking at (Wallingford, Fremont, Queen Anne, Ballard). Like Mitchard was saying, I'd like to be near a bunch of stuff (bars, restaurants, etc.) but a little bit away from all the hubub.

Capitol Hill is fun but is starting to become expensive to live with all the condos opening up.

If you need a barber come see me at Acme barber shop up on Capitol Hill, my name is Eric, I start later in April

My friend Kyle works there.  It's a great shop.  I'm really bad about getting my hair cut regularly, but that's where I go.

My office is on Mercer Island, but I have to drive a lot for my job and won't be in the office that much anyway so commute isn't a big deal. The areas you guys are mentioning are the one I've been looking at (Wallingford, Fremont, Queen Anne, Ballard). Like Mitchard was saying, I'd like to be near a bunch of stuff (bars, restaurants, etc.) but a little bit away from all the hubub.

I haven't lived in Wallingford, but I worked there for about 6 months.  It's pretty quiet, but there is plenty of stuff on 45th and it's a quick jump to the U-District, Fremont or Ballard.  I'd personally recommend Capitol Hill or Ballard.  There is a lot going on in both neighbourhoods, but they're still fairly quiet if you're not on one of the main streets.

Yeah, that's the last Easy Street Records too since the one in Queen Anne closed. I always loved the Queen Anne one, I'm sure the one in West Seattle is great too!

I used to live fairly close to the Easy St. Records in lower Queen Anne and I was in there at least twice a week.  It was my favorite shop in the city.  The one in West Seattle is good, except for the slightly inconvenient location.  You can buy a beer in their cafe and drink it while you shop, which is pretty rad.

Lived there for five years and it was the best experience of my life. You're gonna love it. 

Capitol Hill is the place to be. Central District is also good since its slightly cheaper and close to the Capitol Hill, although some people are sketched out by the area. I never ran across any problems there.

Capitol Hill is a cool choice. I'm more familiar with West Seattle and the area around 2nd Avenue, and while I don't have enough good things to say about West Seattle, I wouldn't recommend living around 2nd Ave. It's a crazy place. 

Welcome to the Northwest. Try to put up with the rain - you'll get used to it eventually. Might get beat up for carrying an umbrella.

EDIT: Why isn't there a NW meetup in the works? Come on, you guys.

Just got a cool place in Wallingford. Now I just need to go back to CO and pack all my crap.

I'm down for turning this into a Seattle/NW VC thread, and I'll change the name once I remember how to do that.

Also, I went to Easy Street today, and that place is fucking awesome.

Congrats, good lucky on your move!

• 2 weeks later...