PO: Swans - To Be Kind

I'm still trying to mentally prepare myself to listen to the Seer.

Still recovering from listening to "My Father Will Guide Me..."

Oh man. My Father Will Guide Me is like a breezy stroll through the park compared to The Seer. You really need to sit down with it sometime soon. I promise you that it doesn't feel like two hours, once you start getting the hang of it.

I can say with some certainty that all of you unsure whether the new album will be up to par or perhaps even surpass the Seer, although it might seem difficult to do, it is indeed that good.

Got half-way through the NPR stream and it totally blew me away. Never heard anything like it. The awesome part was the battery running out at the end of the 30-minute hitter without me noticing. That of course led to me re-opening the computer, totally unaware that the band was still in full-on slaughter mode along with Gira's piercing shrieks. Heart stopped for a moment right there, both mine and the lady's.

It might be total blasphemy for me to say, but am I the only one that really enjoys Angels of Light probably more than Swans? Not as post-whatever but that's probably why I like them so much. Gira's voice can carry whole songs.

Michael Gira has never done wrong in my eyes though.

I still need to listen to Annihilator, but so far The Seer and Soundtracks For the Blind are the cream of the crop for me, as far as Swans' discography goes. Already snagged tickets for a show in September, too. No idea what to expect but I'm hoping for at least one lengthy Seer track.

The live show is really unlike anything I've ever seen before, I don't even know how to describe it. I'd expect stuff from The Seer though. Also, bring earplugs. 

The live show is really unlike anything I've ever seen before, I don't even know how to describe it. I'd expect stuff from The Seer though. Also, bring earplugs.

I picture the sound for Swans being horrendous in a small venue. How do you guys feel about their sound when you saw them?

I've never checked out Gira's other projects. But I have heard some decent things about Angels of Light. I'll have to get around to that, eventually.

I personally enjoy Swans' "post-" sound the most. The Sound knocked left me dumbfounded the first time I heard it; it sounds like Godspeed before Godspeed even began to Godspeed. Love it. Alternatively, I'm not huge on their earlier industrial / post-punk records. Filth and Children of God didn't do a whole lot for me, but I do plan on giving them more chances.

Oh, and earplugs always.

Angels of Light is essentially Gira's take on "stripped down" pretty sounding love song type things. They are still really dense and amazing. New Mother is probably my favorite thing he has ever done. I also really like those early Swans albums. Probably the heaviest music without being a cliche metal band I have ever heard.

I personally enjoy Swans' "post-" sound

I like it too, and on paper (just judging the genres people call them and not the music), I would totally see myself enjoying Swans way more. Angels of Light are usually what I listen to when I want something involving an acoustic guitar and singing and not super grandiose stuff with a million effects pedals.

It might be total blasphemy for me to say, but am I the only one that really enjoys Angels of Light probably more than Swans? Not as post-whatever but that's probably why I like them so much. Gira's voice can carry whole songs.

Michael Gira has never done wrong in my eyes though.

Exactly how I felt a year ago. And then, even Angels Of Light was slightly morose for my tastes. Coming from more of soft indie-folk background, the folk of Gira is a bit further off.

I started from New Mother and I think it was the green cover that drew me in. Seemed most accessible for some reason. At this point, I'm still totally stuck at New Mother and yet to listen to anything else. Gira's voice is indeed great. Very soothing and a definite contrast to most anything Swans. Luckily, I'm getting the feeling that To Be Kind has resurgitated my obsession with Mr. Gira and anything Swans-related. His outlook on life (from what one may gather from interviews) seemed to me, way more distant then than it does now, a year later.

That is a good suggestion for most shows in the upper echelons of heaviness and noise.

Swans actually made their way over here almost exactly three years ago but unfortunately my musical tastes at that point were miles away from even slightly being able to appreciate them, or for that matter to even be aware of their existence. I was told that it was an absolute experience though and difficult to fully take in.

Jarboe played the same venue last December but sadly I didn't find enough motivation from her stuff to make the trip then.

*Dang. Just looked up the old event and they played here along with James Blackshaw. Damn old me for not appreciating a wide enough array of music. <_<

I've never checked out Gira's other projects. But I have heard some decent things about Angels of Light. I'll have to get around to that, eventually.

I personally enjoy Swans' "post-" sound the most. The Sound knocked left me dumbfounded the first time I heard it; it sounds like Godspeed before Godspeed even began to Godspeed. Love it. Alternatively, I'm not huge on their earlier industrial / post-punk records. Filth and Children of God didn't do a whole lot for me, but I do plan on giving them more chances.

Oh, and earplugs always.

I've always associated Swans with the same Godspeedish vibe but until you brought it up I couldn't put my finger on exactly what other ensemble gave off that atmosphere. Did you mean that certain uneasiness which carries on through most of The Seer and the intensity of say Godspeed's most recent Mladic? I can't explain it any better but there is a certain quality...I think :huh:

Definitely give Angels Of Light a listen.

I actually saw them outdoors at a festival, but the sound was better than expected considering there was so much going on. I'm going to try and see them in a decent sized venue in a few weeks. 

I'm horrible at remembering earplugs, gotta be better about that. Fun fact: My Bloody Valentine is the only band I've seen that had the venue hand out earplugs. 

The thing I like about Swans over all eras over Angels of Light is how I've heard someone else describe Swans before. Swans is always about whatever emotion Gira wants to express to the extreme. They can be excessively ugly and brutal or excessively beautiful. The whole catalog is in sore need of being rereleased on vinyl. I'd also love to be able to see the book Gira did that Pettibon illustrated. What little else I've found of Gira's prose has been sickeningly fascinating.

Pre-order in for this, I'll probably listen to the NPR stream too 'cuz I'm really psyched for this album. I'm a big fan of Angels of Light also, Sing Other People is one of my top five albums, period. It's probably his most accessible release if you're not familiar...Akron/Family act as the backing band - the Angels I guess and add some excellent harmonies into the mix that are really unique from Gira's other work. New Mother is also great.

Same. I was on a trip last time they came through the NW and wasn't able to catch them.

I was seeing Dinosaur Jr/Sebadoh instead for some reason, which was completely idiotic in hindsight.