PO: Swans - To Be Kind

Nice, you order direct from Young God? No ship confirm for me yet but so psyched, plus I love the artwork...will look great as a gatefold!

I sure did. If you did the same, I'd expect it soon. And I think the artwork is going to look even better in person – that card stock will look loads better than the yellow / green / whatever they've got in the background.

I've been listening to the album for 2 days now, I wish I ordered it from YGR.

Not gonna lie, Little God in My Hands really doesn't resonate with me. But from the album as a whole, Swans doesn't disappoint at all. 

That's the one and only single I listened to, once, and I sort of dug the groovy flow of it.  Will be interesting to hear it in context of the album.

Got shipping confirmation this morning, and couldn't be more excited.  Bumping thread to declare that this is finally happening.  Anyone else hold off from all the leaks and stream, too?  I feel like a kid who's just a few days out from Christmas.

I listened to whatever the first song posted was, once.  After I got a little taste, I figured I could wait.  Cool to hear that Young Gods is trying to get this out with enough time to make it by release date too.  I've never actually ordered from them, so I didn't know what to expect.  Hopefully, Amazon can get this to me in time too.  I'm going out of town the day after and would love to hear this on vinyl before I leave, as I'm likely to break down and listen to the mp3s while on vacation.

I've been reading a lot of press that has come out on this album and this is definitely the best yet. Such a great read. I burst out laughing a couple of times there.

http://thequietus.com/articles/15163-michael-gira-swans-to-be-kind-interview

Read this one a few days ago, right there with you. Amazing read.

Going off Discogs, that is indeed true. Most seem to be a tad shorter.

Anywho, got damn I can't wait. Does anyone know if the vinyl track order is different from the digital/cd like The Seer? I was kinda upset about it. 

Discogs also confirms that the vinyl track listing remains the same as on the digital version.

But seriously, what the hell? In that case I'm having some doubts about waiting on that pre-order. At least the magnificient Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture will not be hindered as it seems to have retained its whole glorious length of 34 minutes but I wonder how the other tracks will be. I am in love with every running second of this album and would hate any of the tracks to be cut shorter due to the format.

Guess that's what they had to sacrifice to run with the same track listing on all formats.

Nah.  You definitely don't strike me as a p4k sheep.

I could be a 17 year old p4k fanboy though, for all you know. ;)

I played through the whole album again today. Balls man, I love that it's different than The Seer, yet just as good. Can't/won't say one outweighs the other.  

In all honesty, Gira is in my opinion one of the best musicians of the past few decades. Just goes to show what doing what really means something to you (the artist), rather than catering to what the public wants to hear can do.

In all honesty, Gira is in my opinion one of the best musicians of the past few decades. Just goes to show what doing what really means something to you (the artist), rather than catering to what the public wants to hear can do.

Without a doubt.

What especially drove it home for me was how he in that same Quietus interview spoke about how he went about the reasoning back when they decided to dissolve the first incarnation of Swans.

Just the idea of putting everything into what he was doing at the time but not getting a response really due to the music being just too harsh and not beautiful (at least in the conventional sense) for people to catch on to it. It's a cliche but being ahead of the times really

I could be a 17 year old p4k fanboy though, for all you know. ;)

I played through the whole album again today. Balls man, I love that it's different than The Seer, yet just as good. Can't/won't say one outweighs the other.  

Word.  Dude is so original and creative without being too try-hard or pretentious.  I really admire that.

Without a doubt.

What especially drove it home for me was how he in that same Quietus interview spoke about how he went about the reasoning back when they decided to dissolve the first incarnation of Swans.

Just the idea of putting everything into what he was doing at the time but not getting a response really due to the music being just too harsh and not beautiful (at least in the conventional sense) for people to catch on to it. It's a cliche but being ahead of the times really

Well said.  Even if I can't completely appreciate every album and genre they've produced, it's pretty obvious that they're carving their own mark into the music scene.  And it's a damn deep one.  That Quietus interview and

mini-documentary have really opened up my mind to the greatness that is Gira.  Impressive stuff.

I personally felt a bit cold about The Seer. Obviously it's huge and sprawling and majestic, but it didn't hit me like My Father Will Guide Me... Seriously, that album was so, so good.

I'm convinced I'm going to eat my words about this when The Seer finally clicks with me, but there were many points in the numerous spins of The Seer that I felt just, well, didn't quite get there. Compared to some of my favourite SWANS and Angels of Light stuff, anyway.

Still, I preordered this (£19 delivered in the UK with Amazon), and I'm looking forward to it.

Ugh. Amazon oversold their pre-orders and a rep told the next shipment is 7-10 days. I wish they would have notified me. They gave me a nice credit but I'm still frustrated. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this today. That's what I get for not supporting Young God directly. Did this happen to anyone else?

Ugh. Amazon oversold their pre-orders and a rep told the next shipment is 7-10 days. I wish they would have notified me. They gave me a nice credit but I'm still frustrated. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this today. That's what I get for not supporting Young God directly. Did this happen to anyone else?

I doubt it will make you feel much better, but I pre-ordered mine from YGR the day it went up, and I've yet to get mine, nor a shipping confirmation.  Though I do know these are starting to show up for some.

My shipping notification went to spam. Did you look there?

I had not - but just did, and still haven't received anything.   :(

I'm super pumped to finally hear this - and would definitely like to have some decent time with it before seeing them again next month - but the Fushitsusha with Peter Brötzmann 3CD live album showed up last week, so it's not like I'm not currently consumed by something else at the moment...

Mine hasn't shipped either, guess that makes sense why.